This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Being Sick Is My Full Time Job!

feelingbetter

feelingbetter Rookie

I haven't posted much. I am 6 weeks gluten free and 2 weeks dairy, soy and corn free. I only eat meat. vegs, fruit and eggs. No processed food.

I am 45 and finally seeing an alternative doctor who feels I have celiac. I am waiting for entero results. He is also treating me for adrenal fatigue, B12 shots, malic acid and betaine hydrochloride to increase stomach acid. I also take very high doses of vitamins. I also take a salt solution to increase electrolyte balance.

I must say the constant body pain is much much better now that I am on this diet. The problem is this fatigue which is so severe. I am very weak and tired most of the time. Yesterday I felt so depressed and just cried and cried. I have been very sick for the last 6 months. I have been exhausted my whole life. Depression is something that I have struggled with since childhood. I lost my career in 2004 as I was so burnt out. I took myself off of anti-depressants in Oct/07 and started taking high doses of vitamins. The depression was gone after 2 months.

I know I am feeling sorry for myself. Most people do not understand how serious celiac is and the damage it can do. I know that I will be understood here.

Thanks Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Yeah, I do understand how it feels to be exhausted constantly. It does get better, and for me it was magnesium which has helped most. That and just giving the body the time it needs to recover. I would try to sleep a lot, though my body was so messed up I found it nearly impossible to remain asleep long enough to do much good. Thankfully over time it has improved quite a bit since then.

So from my own experience, I'd say make sure you're getting a good magnesium supplement, and that the vitamins are real, not synthetic.

Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon!

feelingbetter Rookie
Yeah, I do understand how it feels to be exhausted constantly. It does get better, and for me it was magnesium which has helped most. That and just giving the body the time it needs to recover. I would try to sleep a lot, though my body was so messed up I found it nearly impossible to remain asleep long enough to do much good. Thankfully over time it has improved quite a bit since then.

So from my own experience, I'd say make sure you're getting a good magnesium supplement, and that the vitamins are real, not synthetic.

Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks RiceGuy- I take a pharmaceutical grade vitamin from Truehope called Empower Plus. The magnesium I am getting is 480 mg. Do you think I need more?

motif Contributor

I had fatigue and weakness since 3 months and slowly getting into depression too, but do you remember that line from the Galaxy Quest movie? "never give up never surrender" :)

BTW isn't that weird we have to search for alternative doctors and therapy? where are all the doctors?

imhungry Rookie

It DOES suck, it IS a full time job, it does stink when you go to a potluck or a luncheon places and you can't eat a thing or very little if you brought it and are the first to dish your serving out andpeople ask you why you are not eating more and you have to explain over and over and over again.

I know how it is. Sounds like you are int he beginning of figuring this out at 2 months. Hang in there. Read everything you can on-line - I got tons of lists of safe foods, safe companies, safe restaurants, and peruse them as much as you can as you build your information bank in your brain.

You are learning a completely new thing - how to manage a chronic disease correctly takes lots of time and energy which you don't have right now. Stick with the foods you know are okay, and then expand slowly from there... Take it slow.

Wonka Apprentice

I hear you. I have fibromyalgia, celiac and at the moment iron deficiency anemia and a wicked sore throat and cough. I have been tired for years but more so lately.

I'm curious about the malic acid for increasing stomach acid. I take it with my magnesium for my fibromyalgia but I have too much stomach acid (GERD). I'm wondering if I should switch to magnesium without malic acid. Anyone have any recommendations? As I am on an antidepressant that cause constipation and I am on iron supplements that have the same effect and I naturally have a sluggish bowel that causes constipation I am on 700 mg of magnesium to just to have a normal BM.

imhungry Rookie

My GERD, for which I was even evaluated for surgery for, went away once I stopped dairy products... something to think about...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived