This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ft. Myers Support Group

twin#1

twin#1 Rookie

I am new to this whole idea of leaving a message on a website for virtual strangers to view, but I am betting that there are a lot of people out there who are going through very similar situations. I was diagnosed with celiac-sprue last year. At the age of 45 it answers SO many things however it has competely altered my life, and that of my family. My 16 year old daughter also has celiac disease. For a teenager, this diagnosis is challenging however through friendships at church and school she is handling it fairly well.

I would like to start a support group in Ft. Myers, FL if anyone else out there is interested.

Kelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

writer ann Newbie
I am new to this whole idea of leaving a message on a website for virtual strangers to view, but I am betting that there are a lot of people out there who are going through very similar situations. I was diagnosed with celiac-sprue last year. At the age of 45 it answers SO many things however it has competely altered my life, and that of my family. My 16 year old daughter also has celiac disease. For a teenager, this diagnosis is challenging however through friendships at church and school she is handling it fairly well.

I would like to start a support group in Ft. Myers, FL if anyone else out there is interested.

Kelly

writer ann Newbie

Kelly

I am writing an article on celiac for a Naples, FL newspaper. If you or anyone reading this in SW Florida would like to contribute info to the article, please contact me ASAP at email: writerannak@yahoo.com Deadline - 04-16-08. Thanks and best wishes,

Ann

VegiacFTM Newbie

I would love to start a support group.

Keep me posted!

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I think a support group is over due for this area. I bet Ada's would let you put an add in the paper or hand out flyers on the gluten-free weekend. Regardless, keep me posted on when and where.

twin#1 Rookie

Keep me posted!

twin#1 Rookie

Keep me posted!

I am so glad to know others are out there and interested. Are there any days/nights that are better for you? I am going to be looking for a central place for us to meet. Right now I know of 3 people who are interested however I have a feeling that once I talk with the manager at Ada's there will be more.

TTYL,

Kelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

twin#1 Rookie
I think a support group is over due for this area. I bet Ada's would let you put an add in the paper or hand out flyers on the gluten-free weekend. Regardless, keep me posted on when and where.

That's a great idea. I will go to Ada's this week and see what I can find out. Right now there are about 3 people interested however I have a feeling after posting something at Ada's there will be more. I will let you know what happens.

TTYL,

Kelly

VegiacFTM Newbie

There is a "gluten-free weekend" at Adas? Details please. =)

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Assuming you know where Ada's is located. Colonial and 41.

The first weekend of the month is 10% off and food tastings (for gluten heads :P )

The second weekend of the month they have tastings of gluten-free foods! That has been so helpful in finding what my gluten-free/CF toddler will eat!

Looking forward to a local suport group.

twin#1 Rookie
Assuming you know where Ada's is located. Colonial and 41.

The first weekend of the month is 10% off and food tastings (for gluten heads :P )

The second weekend of the month they have tastings of gluten-free foods! That has been so helpful in finding what my gluten-free/CF toddler will eat!

Looking forward to a local suport group.

Hi there,

I am going over to Ada's 2morrow. I will be @ JoAnns taking sewing lessons with my daughter so I'll stop over and inquire about posting something for a support group. I will let you know what they say.

Looking forward 2 meeting you and seeing where this goes.

Kelly

twin#1 Rookie

I checked Ada's out and they will allow me to post info there. I'm not sure about using them as a meeting place because it can be noisy. I did go and check out McAllisters restuarant over by Bealls and they have a room that can be used. I spoke with one of the managers and he told me that when ever we want to meet just to call and secure the room. I spoke with him about a gluten free menu a while back and he contacted the corporate office and they are supposedly working on one.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with a support group so far. I've never started one, but there's a 1st time for everything.

If anyone is interested please let me know and even if it's just 2-3 to start with I think that's great. I recently quit my job so I am available most days and evenings.

Let me know who is interested and we will go from there.

TTYL,

Kelly

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I'd like to know when you get a meeting together. I just don't have the time to start one, but it is really needed. My family also has food allergies. When the kids meet other kids who are "like them" it makes a world of difference.

Feel free to PM for more info.

VegiacFTM Newbie

I definitely want to be part of the group.

Weekends work best for me.

teachbgmomdesign Newbie

Kelly,

Have you begun your support group? We just had our first meeting here in SC and we had 8. It was great! I had an outline to follow, but everything went well--people were so eager to share. Let me know what your group is doing. This month, we are having a Scavenger Hunt throughout the store where we meet! We're hoping to introduce one another to new items that would "expand our gluten-free horizons!"

Bev

twin#1 Rookie
Kelly,

Have you begun your support group? We just had our first meeting here in SC and we had 8. It was great! I had an outline to follow, but everything went well--people were so eager to share. Let me know what your group is doing. This month, we are having a Scavenger Hunt throughout the store where we meet! We're hoping to introduce one another to new items that would "expand our gluten-free horizons!"

Bev

Hi Bev,

We haven't had a meeting yet. It has only been a week or 2 and I was so excited to see the response. I've never done anything like this. You had an outline to follow? Maybe you can give me some advice on which way to go with this. It's interesting that you are meeting in a store. Is it a health food store? I had originally thought to steer away from that since I thought some people might want to share things that may be of a sensitive nature but looking at your post I may rethink that. A scavenger hunt is a great idea.

You are in South Carolina?

Thanks for the encouragement,

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...
lisabarella Apprentice
I am writing an article on celiac for a Naples, FL newspaper. If you or anyone reading this in SW Florida would like to contribute info to the article, please contact me ASAP at email: writerannak@yahoo.com Deadline - 04-16-08. Thanks and best wishes,

Ann

Ann,

I just came across your posting on the Celiac.com message board. I am actually conducting a study on Celiac Disease, Physical Activity, and Cognitive Performance for my dissertation. I am going to be in Naples, FL May 22nd - 29th testing people. Give me a call if you would like to talk and/or if you could include my information in your article.

Best,

Lisa

---------------------------------------------------------

Lisa A. Barella

4th Yr. Doctoral Student in Exercise & Sport Psychology

Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant

Department of Exercise and Sport Science

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Room 250 HHP Building, Greensboro, NC 27402

Email: lisabarella@hotmail.com

Phone/Cell (with VM): (336) 253-5539

Fax: (336) 545-4486

• 2 weeks later...
lucy lou Newbie

Ann

Archived