Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Tuna Fish

16 posts in this topic

I've read about people eating tuna fish in several threads in this forum. Do you have to buy a specific brand or is tuna fish generally a gluten free food?

Ads by Google:

Hey :-)

I love tuna fish, and I eat it (tinned) every day. I don't eat soy, so I find that I can't buy any of the flavoured versions, but generally it's fine if you just buy it in springwater...

Sorry - I would always check the labelling, though - just to be sure!!

Plain tuna should be fine, either in water or oil. As mentioned, added flavor puts a whole new spin on the world.

What about Bumble Bee that says it has vegetable broth... does that mean it could have MSG? Something got me yesterday... either the tuna or coconut... :huh:

What about Bumble Bee that says it has vegetable broth... does that mean it could have MSG? Something got me yesterday... either the tuna or coconut... :huh:

Like I said, added flavor is another matter, as to gluten.

MSG is a topic of its own. Search the board for MSG and/or glutamic acid and you will find plenty of discussion on this. The only thing about glutamates that we agree on is that we don't agree. :blink:

MSG is not gluten related. A good general rule would be to look for products with the least amount of ingregients, and look for wheat, rye, barley and malt.

Fresh tuna is far better and naturally gluten free.

I was shopping in Target yesterday and noticed those foil packed tuna's. On the front it says tuna packed in water but it you read the ingredients its water and vegetable broth. Vegetable broth will probablly have MSG in it and that's why I can't have it. Does it have gluten, who knows, it could have. It could be like barely malt, it's there to enhance the fish flavors.

Maybe someone has called and asked the companies about this. Anyone?

Gail

I checked out the tuna fish at the store today and all of the cans said they contained vegetable broth. After listing that ingredient, it said (soy) or (soybeans). So, the tuna should be fine, right? Because it's made from soy, not wheat, barley or rye?

I use Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea.

From Bumble Bee's Website:

Are Bumble Bee

I use Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea.

From Bumble Bee's Website:

Are Bumble Bee

I normally get the Great Value Cottage Cheese (WalMart brand).

As of 6/10/2011, the Bumble Bee products are suspect until further notice. I just visited the company web site and on their FAQ page the question of gluten is addressed like this: "Most of our products are gluten free." But I can't find out which ones are safe to eat unless I write to them, because their contact info doesn't even include a phone number. There was a mention of wheat being listed, but then they put "(gluten)" after the word as if gluten only occurs in wheat, so I don't know if they even understand gluten.

I was about to eat some of their premium light tuna in a pouch, which lists vegetable broth on the ingredient list, but I have read sometimes vegie broth includes gluten (ACK!!) or MSG (can you spell "headache?"). This is pretty inconvenient, I'm just returning it to the store and eating another brand willing to take our concerns more seriously.

As of 6/10/2011, the Bumble Bee products are suspect until further notice. I just visited the company web site and on their FAQ page the question of gluten is addressed like this: "Most of our products are gluten free." But I can't find out which ones are safe to eat unless I write to them, because their contact info doesn't even include a phone number. There was a mention of wheat being listed, but then they put "(gluten)" after the word as if gluten only occurs in wheat, so I don't know if they even understand gluten.

I was about to eat some of their premium light tuna in a pouch, which lists vegetable broth on the ingredient list, but I have read sometimes vegie broth includes gluten (ACK!!) or MSG (can you spell "headache?"). This is pretty inconvenient, I'm just returning it to the store and eating another brand willing to take our concerns more seriously.

From the Bumble Bee website:

Are Bumble Bee Products Gluten Free?

• Most of Bumble Bee's products are gluten free. To comply with government regulations, major allergens such as wheat (gluten), soy, egg, milk, tree and pine nuts, peanuts, fish, and shellfish will be called out in the ingredient list of the label.

They're saying that they will list the 8 major allegens on the label if the product contains them. If the vegetable broth contained gluten, it would be listed.

Do Bumble Bee products contain MSG?
  • Bumble Bee's fish products do not contain MSG. Some of our non-fish products may contain MSG. MSG is required by regulation to be declared on the label. If you are sensitive to MSG, please carefully read the ingredient panel on the label.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Wild Planet tuna is vacuum packed w/o anything added (well, they do add salt to some). it's pretty delicious, if pricey compared to the low end chunk light.

Here is what I got from Glutenfreeliving.com (Also here is a number for Bumble Bee Tuina if you would like to talk with them directly about this. )

Q: Is vegetable broth gluten free?

A: The Food and Drug Administration

has a specific definition of vegetable

broth when it is used in canned tuna,

but does not detail the exact ingredients

in other cases. Vegetable broth in tuna

has to be made from two or more of the

following vegetables: beans, cabbage,

celery, garlic, onions, parsley, peas, potatoes, green or red bell peppers, spinach

or tomatoes. That means the broth used

in canned tuna is gluten free, as is plain

canned tuna. The beans used may include soy beans, in which case soy has

to be noted on the label as required by

the Food Allergen and Consumer

Protection Act. While this has nothing to

do with the gluten-free status of tuna, it

might affect those who have soy allergies in addition to celiac disease.

In general, broth is defined as the

liquid resulting from cooking vegetables, meat or fish in water. By that definition it would always be gluten free.

But canned vegetable broth can

contain other ingredients as well. For

example, Swanson’s Vegetarian Vegetable broth contains high fructose corn

syrup, sugar and potato flour. The Swanson broth, as well as College Inn,

Imagine Foods, and Pacific Foods

brands are all gluten free. In fact, it is

unlikely that you would find a vegetable

broth that was not gluten free. Vegetable

broth is more likely to be gluten free

than chicken or beef broth, which sometimes contain hydrolyzed wheat protein.

But you have to read the ingredients

label to be sure.