15 replies to this topic

#1 Wakeboarder

Wakeboarder

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

I've read about people eating tuna fish in several threads in this forum. Do you have to buy a specific brand or is tuna fish generally a gluten free food?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lux

Lux

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Hey :-)

I love tuna fish, and I eat it (tinned) every day. I don't eat soy, so I find that I can't buy any of the flavoured versions, but generally it's fine if you just buy it in springwater...

#3 Lux

Lux

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

Sorry - I would always check the labelling, though - just to be sure!!

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

Plain tuna should be fine, either in water or oil. As mentioned, added flavor puts a whole new spin on the world.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Guest_hightop girl_*

Guest_hightop girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

What about Bumble Bee that says it has vegetable broth... does that mean it could have MSG? Something got me yesterday... either the tuna or coconut... :huh:

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

What about Bumble Bee that says it has vegetable broth... does that mean it could have MSG? Something got me yesterday... either the tuna or coconut... :huh:

Like I said, added flavor is another matter, as to gluten.

MSG is a topic of its own. Search the board for MSG and/or glutamic acid and you will find plenty of discussion on this. The only thing about glutamates that we agree on is that we don't agree. :blink:
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

MSG is not gluten related. A good general rule would be to look for products with the least amount of ingregients, and look for wheat, rye, barley and malt.

Fresh tuna is far better and naturally gluten free.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

I was shopping in Target yesterday and noticed those foil packed tuna's. On the front it says tuna packed in water but it you read the ingredients its water and vegetable broth. Vegetable broth will probablly have MSG in it and that's why I can't have it. Does it have gluten, who knows, it could have. It could be like barely malt, it's there to enhance the fish flavors.

Maybe someone has called and asked the companies about this. Anyone?

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#9 Wakeboarder

Wakeboarder

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

I checked out the tuna fish at the store today and all of the cans said they contained vegetable broth. After listing that ingredient, it said (soy) or (soybeans). So, the tuna should be fine, right? Because it's made from soy, not wheat, barley or rye?

#10 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

I use Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea.

From Bumble Bee's Website:
Are Bumble Bee’s products gluten free?
All our Bumble Bee Brand canned seafood products are gluten free. However, the crackers contained within our Bumble Bee Brand Ready-to-Eat salads & Crackers, contain wheat flour

From Chicken of the Sea's Website:
Are Chicken of the Sea products gluten free?
All Chicken of the Sea products are gluten free, with the exception of Ahi Tuna Steak in a Grilled Herb Marinade, Ahi Tuna Steak in a Teriyaki Sauce, Salmon Steak in a Mandarin Orange Glaze, Mandarin Orange Salmon Cups, Teriyaki Tuna Cups, Crab-tastic! (imitation crab) and Tuna Salad Kits, which depending on size contain either bread crumbs or crackers.

Becuase it gets hot in AZ I like to use gluten free cottage cheese instead of mayo.
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#11 Dolcenotte

Dolcenotte

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:43 AM

I use Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea.

From Bumble Bee's Website:
Are Bumble Bee’s products gluten free?
All our Bumble Bee Brand canned seafood products are gluten free. However, the crackers contained within our Bumble Bee Brand Ready-to-Eat salads & Crackers, contain wheat flour

From Chicken of the Sea's Website:
Are Chicken of the Sea products gluten free?
All Chicken of the Sea products are gluten free, with the exception of Ahi Tuna Steak in a Grilled Herb Marinade, Ahi Tuna Steak in a Teriyaki Sauce, Salmon Steak in a Mandarin Orange Glaze, Mandarin Orange Salmon Cups, Teriyaki Tuna Cups, Crab-tastic! (imitation crab) and Tuna Salad Kits, which depending on size contain either bread crumbs or crackers.

Becuase it gets hot in AZ I like to use gluten free cottage cheese instead of mayo.

Which gluten free cottage cheese do you use?

#12 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

I normally get the Great Value Cottage Cheese (WalMart brand).
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#13 Leonesse

Leonesse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

As of 6/10/2011, the Bumble Bee products are suspect until further notice. I just visited the company web site and on their FAQ page the question of gluten is addressed like this: "Most of our products are gluten free." But I can't find out which ones are safe to eat unless I write to them, because their contact info doesn't even include a phone number. There was a mention of wheat being listed, but then they put "(gluten)" after the word as if gluten only occurs in wheat, so I don't know if they even understand gluten.

I was about to eat some of their premium light tuna in a pouch, which lists vegetable broth on the ingredient list, but I have read sometimes vegie broth includes gluten (ACK!!) or MSG (can you spell "headache?"). This is pretty inconvenient, I'm just returning it to the store and eating another brand willing to take our concerns more seriously.
Loving connection is like water, bearing life & healing. Once, we were connected to all things; but we have disconnected from nature & ourselves. The animals, wild & domestic, are anxious to reconnect with us consciously so we may learn what they have to teach: how to love unconditionally, to parent well, to be at peace, to be resilient, to live lightly on the Earth in harmony with the animal & plant nations... Please consider learning animal communication. Anyone can do it, it's fun, and you'd help save the Earth!

#14 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

As of 6/10/2011, the Bumble Bee products are suspect until further notice. I just visited the company web site and on their FAQ page the question of gluten is addressed like this: "Most of our products are gluten free." But I can't find out which ones are safe to eat unless I write to them, because their contact info doesn't even include a phone number. There was a mention of wheat being listed, but then they put "(gluten)" after the word as if gluten only occurs in wheat, so I don't know if they even understand gluten.

I was about to eat some of their premium light tuna in a pouch, which lists vegetable broth on the ingredient list, but I have read sometimes vegie broth includes gluten (ACK!!) or MSG (can you spell "headache?"). This is pretty inconvenient, I'm just returning it to the store and eating another brand willing to take our concerns more seriously.

From the Bumble Bee website:

Are Bumble Bee Products Gluten Free?
  • Most of Bumble Bee's products are gluten free. To comply with government regulations, major allergens such as wheat (gluten), soy, egg, milk, tree and pine nuts, peanuts, fish, and shellfish will be called out in the ingredient list of the label.
They're saying that they will list the 8 major allegens on the label if the product contains them. If the vegetable broth contained gluten, it would be listed.

Do Bumble Bee products contain MSG?
  • Bumble Bee's fish products do not contain MSG. Some of our non-fish products may contain MSG. MSG is required by regulation to be declared on the label. If you are sensitive to MSG, please carefully read the ingredient panel on the label.

Seems pretty clear to me.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#15 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Wild Planet tuna is vacuum packed w/o anything added (well, they do add salt to some). it's pretty delicious, if pricey compared to the low end chunk light.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: