This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Linchen Sclerosis A Part Of Celiac Disease?

kayavara

kayavara Rookie

Does anyone know if Linchen Sclerosis ....an autoimmune skin disease....could be connected to Celiac Disease?

Kay

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't know if this specifically has been identified as being associated with celiac but any autoimmune disease has the potential of being triggered by celiac. The autoimmune process that results from celiac disease can effect almost every organ of the body.

If you have this and you are celiac or think you might be the gluten free diet could give you the answer. I was frankly shocked at all the autoimmune disorders I had that went into remission gluten free.

kayavara Rookie

I think it must be connected.I can't tell yet if the diet is helping that problem because I am currently on Prednisone for it ...which helps it anyway.After the med is ffnished I'll be anxious to see how much diet alone works.I had no idea how much I was/am affected by Celiac! As I mentioned I'm brand new to this thing...but trying to absorb everything I need to learn. It may be in my head but I think I already see results although I still have some bloating at times..It's been 5 days since my doctor informed me of the scope results.....although my lab tests are not in yet.

Kay

larry mac Enthusiast

It's not Linchen Sclerosis, it's Lichen Sclerosis. Pronounced Liken, or lyken.

This is so wierd. I had a strange skin condition about 20 years ago. It was only one small, smooth circle about the diameter of a cigarette. It didn't itch or cause me any physical problem. But, it was on a certain private part of my anatomy that immediately resulted in me totally freaking out. I was certain that God had inflicted me with a rebuke of my careless (albeit limited) behavoir.

My personal doctor had no idea what it was, and so referred me to a dermatologist who identified it in short order. Lichen Planus. It is not contagious (so I didn't "catch" it from anyone), and it's origin is not known. It is thought to be related to your disorder, but is a separate and less severe malady. It is said to be aggravated by eating toast, and crunchy foods such as cereals and chips, etc. DUH, I was the toast and all things crunchy fiend. Crusty bread chief amongst my many bread obsessions. They give you a topical cortasteroildal cream which makes it go away. But, here's the kicker, it's an autoimmune disorder. Granted, there are many autoimmune disorders. But still, given that I now have bonafide Celiac Disease, maybe there was an early connection.

This is the first I've ever heard either of these skin conditions mentioned here. Thanks for your post.

best regards, lm

kayavara Rookie
It's not Linchen Sclerosis, it's Lichen Sclerosis. Pronounced Liken, or lyken.

This is so wierd. I had a strange skin condition about 20 years ago. It was only one small, smooth circle about the diameter of a cigarette. It didn't itch or cause me any physical problem. But, it was on a certain private part of my anatomy that immediately resulted in me totally freaking out. I was certain that God had inflicted me with a rebuke of my careless (albeit limited) behavoir.

My personal doctor had no idea what it was, and so referred me to a dermatologist who identified it in short order. Lichen Planus. It is not contagious (so I didn't "catch" it from anyone), and it's origin is not known. It is thought to be related to your disorder, but is a separate and less severe malady. It is said to be aggravated by eating toast, and crunchy foods such as cereals and chips, etc. DUH, I was the toast and all things crunchy fiend. Crusty bread chief amongst my many bread obsessions. They give you a topical cortisteroildal cream which makes it go away. But, here's the kicker, it's an autoimmune disorder. Granted, there are many autoimmune disorders. But still, given that I now have bonafide Celiac Disease, maybe there was an early connection.

This is the first I've ever heard either of these skin conditions mentioned. Thanks for your post.

best regards, lm

Well it all makes since now.I had no clue that toast,chips etc. bothered the condition.I lived off of that stuff.I should see a huge difference now being gluten free.I did know that it was an autoimmune disorder and it was not contagious.I've been having it off and on for 3 years now.....along with soooo many other symptoms of celiac disease.Thanks for the info.

Kay

tarnalberry Community Regular

Maybe? As has been mentioned, autoimmune disorders tend to run in groups, so there's a maybe right there. Additionally, some people with similar issues have found that going gluten free helps them. I found my way to being gluten free from a listserv for vulvar vestibulitis, a gynecologic pain disorder, which often is misdiagnosed as (or vice versa) lichen sclerosis or planus, or occurs simulatenously, and some people would find the diet helpful.

larry mac Enthusiast

Dear Tiff,

I'm more than happy to be sharing yet another autoimmune related disorder with you. B)

yours truly, lm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived