This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutin Free And Caesin Free Want To Be!

Robink

Robink Newbie

Hello, :) I am a brand new member here. I visited Dr. Stephanie Cave, (alternative med) about 2 1/2 yrs ago and went through a series of tests. I had these things come back as food intolerant for me: eggs, wheat, milk, onions and a few others. I never did the diet because I had a lot on my plate at the time. I am really wanting to put this to work now though. I know I have alot to learn and that I know next to nothing, but, I'm ready. Any feedback would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you, Robin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dbmamaz Explorer

I think the most important thing is just planning a menu thats safe for your restrictions. I started eating more roast chicken and mashed potatoes (made w rice milk and vegan margerine), fried rice and stir-fries (with wheat-free soy sauce, and hold the eggs for my husband), and alternative pastas. Since my meatball recipe had bread crumbs and milk and cheese, I just bought a gluten-free italian sausage and cooked it with spinach and spaghetti sauce - yum! My husband liked that better than the meatballs.

Lunch - well, salad is always safe w no croutons. leftovers is a safe bet. There are lists of restaruants with gluten-free menus, too.

Breakfast ... my staple for a long time was grits with sausage in it, now i'm even more restricted so i'm eating grits with peaches and sunflower seeds. I find that good protien in the morning really helps keep me going.

any specific questions?

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hello, :) I am a brand new member here. I visited Dr. Stephanie Cave, (alternative med) about 2 1/2 yrs ago and went through a series of tests. I had these things come back as food intolerant for me: eggs, wheat, milk, onions and a few others. I never did the diet because I had a lot on my plate at the time. I am really wanting to put this to work now though. I know I have alot to learn and that I know next to nothing, but, I'm ready. Any feedback would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you, Robin

Dear Robin,

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :) Multiple food restrictions are daunting. Fortunately, so many of us here have them. Everyone is more than willing to help, so do not hesitate if you have concerns. You mentioned onions and eggs, which are both high in sulfur. This could be significant. Do you have bad reactions to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and garlic as well?

Any form of gluten in even the most microscopic amount makes me violently ill. :( I am extremely careful. I appear to have a lactose issue, because I went six weeks without dairy and felt no better. I get as sick from yogurt or pudding as I do gluten. I do fine if I eat a candy bar, though. Cheese is alright as well. I do avoid cheese most of the time, due to having Candida issues.

My best advice is to plan ahead. Due to my illness, I am stuck living at home. This makes cross-contamination a real problem. I have my own cookware and everything. The trouble is, if someone so much as touches the silverware after they have touched bread, I will get sick. I did not want my parents thinking I did not trust them, but they acted like I am a hypochondriac.

It is always easy for people who do not get sick to say that. :rolleyes: Since my father just discovered he is Diabetic recently, now we both are on restricted diets. Certain things I can have, he cannot eat. Things he is allowed, I am not. I decided since I do not have a lot of energy, I need to start doing all the cooking for one week. Dad has to eat on a schedule for his medication, and he needs food ready when he comes home from work.

I realized that I could cook the meat ahead of time for everyone of us, as well as prepare low glycemic veggies for Dad in bags. All my mother will have to do is put it in a bowl and heat it. There are few desserts I could make for him, since flour is dangerous for me to inhale. I got terribly ill on Christmas due to that. I even waited half an hour or so after Dad stopped making the bread or pancakes! Stupid air floaties! :angry:

We are on a tight budget as well. Food has gotten expensive. In the beginning of the diet, it is recommended you eat only fruits, vegetables, and meat. After a couple of months, then adding some processed food is okay. I think my family and I have finally arrived at an agreement.

I told them I need to just start doing all the cooking for the week once per week. I am just to ill and tired to do that all the time. It will free up some time to clean and organize the house more. Also, you do not have to worry about having something to eat, and you can spend more time doing other things and less time cooking! I love to cook, but need the energy. Another good thing about this is, we could save on the gas and electric bill because I will not be waiting for the oven to heat up and have to keep starting it up and shutting it off.

I am going to write out the cooking procedure. I will plan what we all want, then add seasonings to theirs as long as they cannot make me sick. This will also cut down on dishes, because I will only be using the pots and pans once per week. Being organized is key to any diet plan. Life is already complicated enough, why make it more difficult than it already is?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived