4 replies to this topic

#1 Robink

Robink

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hello, I went to Dr. Stephanie Cave (alternative med) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana about 2 yrs ago. My results showed that I am intolerant to gluten and caesin. Life was pretty hectic and I did nothing about my new findings. I would love to learn how to get on this diet. I know it sounds like gloom and doom, but, honestly, if this lifts the anxiety/depression/adhd at all, I am game. Scared to get my hopes up and miserable at the same time. I'm choosing to try. Anyone? Ty, Robin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Robink

Robink

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

More info:

I have, but, not all of the time, IBS and Acid Reflux. I've tried every med for anxiety and depression, each makes me feel worse or does nothing at all. I just feel jittery and uneasy, never quite satisified, moody, I get irritated easily. After being diagnosed wrongly for a few years, my sister was finally correctly diagnosed with Crohns. I want to feel better so badly. Anyone here from Louisiana? Any feedback would make me feel better. I'll at least know someone has heard me, ty, Robin

#3 kayavara

kayavara

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hey! I'm from Louisiana...Walker to be exact...not but about 10 minutes from Baton Rouge.I had my test done at Ochsner in Baton Rouge.I was dx last week with Celiac.I'm giving this diet my best shot. I have been feeling so bad for months now.I spent an arm and a leg on Medical costs and I lost so much time with family and friends lately....because I felt bad all the time.If this helps...it will be worth it...hard ...but worth it!Hope you feel better soon.
Kay
Kay

Gluten free since 4/11/08
Positive dietary response
Blood test negative
Endoscopy negative biopsy
but found :" Villous blunting and atrophy" and
"Gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema"
Doctor insisted I need to go gluten free for at least 4 months
Best thing I ever did!

#4 Redsd

Redsd

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

More info:

I have, but, not all of the time, IBS and Acid Reflux. I've tried every med for anxiety and depression, each makes me feel worse or does nothing at all. I just feel jittery and uneasy, never quite satisified, moody, I get irritated easily. After being diagnosed wrongly for a few years, my sister was finally correctly diagnosed with Crohns. I want to feel better so badly. Anyone here from Louisiana? Any feedback would make me feel better. I'll at least know someone has heard me, ty, Robin

My way of getting a handle on my diet is to stick to chicken/turkey, beef, vegetables including potatoes, nuts, eggs, goat cheese and little else. It's a bit like Atkins but including potatoes, and without the heavy fats/dairy. Or like South Beach without the dairy. I'd suggest you read both those diet books for ideas. Generally I have eggs for breakfast, chicken or beef and side dishes for lunch and dinner. Snacks are a banana, nuts, maybe a Larabar.

My doctors suggest I avoid any grains at all, including rices and pseudograins, soy, sugars, dairy, pork... So I eat very few things - but it's still a guessing game at times. Today I tried a goat milk yogurt, and I think the sugars got me. I'm blown up like a balloon. However, I rarely ever get the IBS cramps and nastiness I had before I went gluten free.

I was on antidepressants for awhile, but I don't think they helped. I went off cold turkey, which was a BIG mistake, messed up my brain chemistry and I was wonked out for a couple months.

hth somehow? Lori

#5 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

I had been dx'd as allergic to dairy and wheat from a diet test as an infant, but only off them for a few months. I went gluten and casien free in November, and i've been amazed at the difference. Within a week, 90% of my intestinal symptoms were gone. About 6 weeks in to it, I realized i hadnt taken exedrin in a month, and it used to be 3-4 times each week. My depression and anxiety started to ease about 2 months in to the diet.

So expect great things . . but be patient. There are worse things . . . i'm now on a diet so restrictive I can only eat 25 foods . . so you surely can do this! You can even find vegan chocolate if you look hard!

Good luck
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: