#1 JustThisGuy

JustThisGuy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hey there,

I recently read that Milkway Midnight bars are safe, so I ran over to the shop and bought one, only to note later that the packaging was subtly different, the bar was called a Milky Way Midnight Dark, and the description reads "Rich, DARK, Chocolate. Golden Caramel. Vanilla Nougat." instead of "Bold, Rich Chocolate. Golden Caramel. Vanilla Nougat." I thought, ehn, its a minor packaging difference, its probably the same thing, but I checked the ingredients list just to be safe. And it turns out the ingredients lists are subtly different as well.

Milkyway Midnight reads: Semisweet Chocolate (sugar, chocolate processed with alkali, cocoa butter, chocolate, milk fat, soy lecithin, vanilla extract, artificial and natural flavors), corn syrup, sugar, skim milk, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, less than 2% - Butter, milk fat, lactose, salt, egg whites, soy protein, vanilla extract, artificial flavor.

Milkyway Midnight Dark reads:Semisweet Chocolate (Sugar, chocolate processed with alkali, cocoa butter, milk fat, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavors), corn syrup, sugar, hydrogenated palm kernel oil and/or palm oil, skim milk, less than 2% - milk fat, lactose, salt, egg whites, natural flavor and artificial flavor.

What's the deal here? Is this some new packaging, or a regional packaging differene? MOst importantly, is it safe to eat?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

That particular company will list wheat if there's any, so the one's you have look fine. The regular bars have wheat. This is the page from the company that lists ingredients for all the Milky Way bars

http://www.milkywayb.../facts/faq.html

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 SharonF

SharonF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

Actually I think it's not wheat but barley malt in the nougat of Milky Ways that has gluten; the nougat of the Midnight is different than the nougat of the regular Milky Way and doesn't have that barley.
Mom of 3
Diagnosed celiac August 2004

#4 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

It actually has both:

What are the ingredients in a MILKY WAY® Bar?

MILKY WAY® Bar ingredients: milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, skim milk, chocolate, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor), corn syrup, sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, skim milk, less than 2% milkfat, cocoa powder processed with alkali, lactose, malted barley, wheat flour, salt, egg whites, artificial flavor.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: