Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Centrum Vitamins

14 posts in this topic

Hey! I have been taking centrum vitamins for about a year now, and thought I had read that they were gluten free. I just called them, and none of their vitamins are presently gluten free. Just thought I would share. Now I have to find some that are. Thanks!

Ads by Google:

When I called them 6 months ago they told me I had to call in with the product number on the bottle each time I bought them.

They said the formula changes with each batch they produce. I had 2 bottles here, regular and silver when I called. The silver was gluten-free and the regular was not.

Ken

Hey! I have been taking centrum vitamins for about a year now, and thought I had read that they were gluten free. I just called them, and none of their vitamins are presently gluten free. Just thought I would share. Now I have to find some that are. Thanks!

yup, i had commented on this a few months back when i called Wyeth to inquire first about Advil, but then about all of their products that i might use... i had just been diagnosed and was using Centrum at the time. I switched over to Nature Made shortly thereafter, who clearly labels their vitamins as free of gluten.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry383161

Nature Made marks there bottles gluten free. They are available at Costco in large bottles which makes it a lot less expensive than buying them at a health food store. Also, the Kirkland (Costco brand) mutli-vitamins are marked gluten free on the bottle.

I called Wyeth today to see what they'd tell me, (because sometimes the info can change depending on which rep you speak to <_< ) and the person there told me that "none of the Centrum vitamins are considered gluten-free."

Maybe I should call them again with the same batch number that they told me was safe. COuld be we get to a different call center from Hawaii.

I did switch to Nature Made and Costco for all the other vitamins.

ken

I called Wyeth today to see what they'd tell me, (because sometimes the info can change depending on which rep you speak to <_< ) and the person there told me that "none of the Centrum vitamins are considered gluten-free."

No wonder why I threw up the last time I tried taking one. <_<

My daughter has been taking Centrum everyday for months now because I thought I had read that they were safe. I was surprised when I read this thread so I went to their website and this is what they say on there:

"2. Is Centrum gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?

Yes, Centrum is gluten-free and suitable for individuals with celiac disease. "

If what you were told on the phone is correct that would explain why she has been feeling so bad! I am very upset!

My daughter has been taking Centrum everyday for months now because I thought I had read that they were safe. I was surprised when I read this thread so I went to their website and this is what they say on there:

"2. Is Centrum gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?

Yes, Centrum is gluten-free and suitable for individuals with celiac disease. "

If what you were told on the phone is correct that would explain why she has been feeling so bad! I am very upset!

I'm thinking that this was old information on the website. I used to take Centrum, and called them about 2 years ago. At that time I was told that Centrum was certified gluten-free. I stopped taking it soon afterward, though since something in it was making me sick--probably the soy.

They must have changed their formula or possibly the vitamin E or another inactive ingredient is now derived from wheat.

Hope your daughter feels better soon! :)

I stopped taking ALL vitamins about a month ago, and don't plan to take any again. I figure I can get enough vitamins and minerals from my diet to sustain life. :)

I stopped all of them for a year after I was diagnosed but found my energy level really low and things not right.

Thanks to Yolo and other members putting me onto some other gluten-free vitamins, I'm feeling much better with energy back to normal levels.

I stopped taking ALL vitamins about a month ago, and don't plan to take any again. I figure I can get enough vitamins and minerals from my diet to sustain life. :)

I read on a list somewhere that they were gluten free, all except the silver ones. So I bought some. They made me very sick. I gave them away and will not try them again. I stick to my Nature Made vitamins. Country Life Vitamins (which can be ordered from Lame Advertisement.com very easily and quickly online) have now been certified gluten free. I buy my B12 from them and my Ester C. I think it's wonderful when a company does this for us.

They really need to get their act together.

They told me silver was ok (the batch number I have) and the regular ones my wife takes were not gluten-free.

I've not had any problems from taking them but will not buy them again as they said I did have to call, and wait and wait and wait

for them to answer with each batch number.

I read on a list somewhere that they were gluten free, all except the silver ones. So I bought some. They made me very sick. I gave them away and will not try them again. I stick to my Nature Made vitamins. Country Life Vitamins (which can be ordered from Lame Advertisement.com very easily and quickly online) have now been certified gluten free. I buy my B12 from them and my Ester C. I think it's wonderful when a company does this for us.

I agree, they need to get their act together. And, I think we should all avoid centrum vitamins right now.