13 replies to this topic

#1 roxie

roxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hey! I have been taking centrum vitamins for about a year now, and thought I had read that they were gluten free. I just called them, and none of their vitamins are presently gluten free. Just thought I would share. Now I have to find some that are. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

When I called them 6 months ago they told me I had to call in with the product number on the bottle each time I bought them.
They said the formula changes with each batch they produce. I had 2 bottles here, regular and silver when I called. The silver was gluten-free and the regular was not.
Ken

Hey! I have been taking centrum vitamins for about a year now, and thought I had read that they were gluten free. I just called them, and none of their vitamins are presently gluten free. Just thought I would share. Now I have to find some that are. Thanks!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 njbeachbum

njbeachbum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

yup, i had commented on this a few months back when i called Wyeth to inquire first about Advil, but then about all of their products that i might use... i had just been diagnosed and was using Centrum at the time. I switched over to Nature Made shortly thereafter, who clearly labels their vitamins as free of gluten.

http://www.glutenfre...mp;#entry383161
Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993
Positive Blood Test - November, 2007
Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007
Gluten Free since December 3, 2007
Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

#4 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Nature Made marks there bottles gluten free. They are available at Costco in large bottles which makes it a lot less expensive than buying them at a health food store. Also, the Kirkland (Costco brand) mutli-vitamins are marked gluten free on the bottle.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

I called Wyeth today to see what they'd tell me, (because sometimes the info can change depending on which rep you speak to <_< ) and the person there told me that "none of the Centrum vitamins are considered gluten-free."
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Maybe I should call them again with the same batch number that they told me was safe. COuld be we get to a different call center from Hawaii.

I did switch to Nature Made and Costco for all the other vitamins.
ken

I called Wyeth today to see what they'd tell me, (because sometimes the info can change depending on which rep you speak to <_< ) and the person there told me that "none of the Centrum vitamins are considered gluten-free."

Japanese proverb

#7 MelliDuff

MelliDuff

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

No wonder why I threw up the last time I tried taking one. <_<
Hashimoto's (Hypothyroidism) 07
Anemia, Folic acid and B12 deficiencies Feb/08
Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus April/08
Biopsy and endoscopy pos 08
Chronic Gastritis - barf - 08

#8 JustMe75

JustMe75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

My daughter has been taking Centrum everyday for months now because I thought I had read that they were safe. I was surprised when I read this thread so I went to their website and this is what they say on there:

"2. Is Centrum gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?
Yes, Centrum is gluten-free and suitable for individuals with celiac disease. "

If what you were told on the phone is correct that would explain why she has been feeling so bad! I am very upset!

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

My daughter has been taking Centrum everyday for months now because I thought I had read that they were safe. I was surprised when I read this thread so I went to their website and this is what they say on there:

"2. Is Centrum gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?
Yes, Centrum is gluten-free and suitable for individuals with celiac disease. "

If what you were told on the phone is correct that would explain why she has been feeling so bad! I am very upset!

I'm thinking that this was old information on the website. I used to take Centrum, and called them about 2 years ago. At that time I was told that Centrum was certified gluten-free. I stopped taking it soon afterward, though since something in it was making me sick--probably the soy.

They must have changed their formula or possibly the vitamin E or another inactive ingredient is now derived from wheat.

Hope your daughter feels better soon! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

I stopped taking ALL vitamins about a month ago, and don't plan to take any again. I figure I can get enough vitamins and minerals from my diet to sustain life. :)
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

#11 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

I stopped all of them for a year after I was diagnosed but found my energy level really low and things not right.
Thanks to Yolo and other members putting me onto some other gluten-free vitamins, I'm feeling much better with energy back to normal levels.

I stopped taking ALL vitamins about a month ago, and don't plan to take any again. I figure I can get enough vitamins and minerals from my diet to sustain life. :)

Japanese proverb

#12 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:07 AM

I read on a list somewhere that they were gluten free, all except the silver ones. So I bought some. They made me very sick. I gave them away and will not try them again. I stick to my Nature Made vitamins. Country Life Vitamins (which can be ordered from Lame Advertisement.com very easily and quickly online) have now been certified gluten free. I buy my B12 from them and my Ester C. I think it's wonderful when a company does this for us.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#13 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

They really need to get their act together.
They told me silver was ok (the batch number I have) and the regular ones my wife takes were not gluten-free.
I've not had any problems from taking them but will not buy them again as they said I did have to call, and wait and wait and wait
for them to answer with each batch number.

I read on a list somewhere that they were gluten free, all except the silver ones. So I bought some. They made me very sick. I gave them away and will not try them again. I stick to my Nature Made vitamins. Country Life Vitamins (which can be ordered from Lame Advertisement.com very easily and quickly online) have now been certified gluten free. I buy my B12 from them and my Ester C. I think it's wonderful when a company does this for us.

Japanese proverb

#14 roxie

roxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

I agree, they need to get their act together. And, I think we should all avoid centrum vitamins right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: