13 replies to this topic

#1 Green12

Green12

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hi all, just got this months newsletter email from Whole Foods, some new gluten-free recipes were included:

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup gluten-free chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.

Sift cocoa powder and coconut flour into a separate bowl to remove lumps. Stir flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Allow batter to rest for 5 minutes; coconut flour will absorb the liquid and thicken as it sits. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between cookies.

Bake 13 to 15 minutes, until cookies are slightly set in the center. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Makes about 18 cookies.

Gluten-Free Tabouleh

1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
5 green onions, finely chopped
2 cups small grape tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 to 2 lemons, more to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients together in a large serving bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve room temperature or chilled. Serves 4.

Sesame Noodles

1 (8-ounce) package brown rice spaghetti or other thin pasta
1/4 cup wheat-free, reduced sodium tamari
2 tablespoons sesame tahini
2 tablespoons roasted smooth almond butter
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or more to taste
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain pasta thoroughly.

In a large bowl, whisk together tamari, tahini, almond butter, vinegar, lemon juice, toasted sesame oil and hot sauce. Add pasta, cabbage, carrots and green onions. Toss to coat noodles thoroughly with sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve. Serves 4.

Gluten-Free Goat Cheese and Arugula "Free-Form" Ravioli

8 brown rice pasta lasagna sheets

Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Filling

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
5 ounces arugula
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
8 ounces goat cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add lasagna sheets and cook according to package directions until just al dente. Drain lasagna sheets and rinse before transferring to a cutting board. Cut pasta into squares, about 3 per sheet. Set aside, layered between damp towels.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes and cook until shallots are transparent. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring often until tomatoes break down and sauce thickens. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.

To make the filling, heat olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic turns golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add arugula, pepper and zest and cook, stirring frequently, until arugula wilts, 2 to 4 minutes. Let arugula cool, then chop finely and transfer to a bowl. Stir in goat cheese. Set aside.

To assemble ravioli, preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Place 12 pasta squares in the bottom of the dish. Top each with a tablespoon of goat cheese-arugula mixture. Cover each with another square of pasta. Spoon sauce over ravioli. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 (12-ounce) package gluten-free macaroni, such as brown rice
3 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
2 medium red potatoes (about 8 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2 (6-ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
Paprika

Preheat oven to 350F. Cook pasta according to package directions until just al dente. Take care not to over cook pasta, as it will become mushy when baked. When pasta is done, drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, bring almond milk, sliced potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper to a simmer, uncovered. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Pour contents into a blender and puree in batches until smooth. Take care as the mixture is hot. Set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Add peas and cook for 3 minutes longer.

Add flaked tuna, mushrooms and peas to pasta. Stir in pureed almond milk-potato mixture to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs and almonds. Drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serves 4-6.

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken and Dumplings

Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 bone-in skinned chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 large onion coarsely chopped
8 cups low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
5 carrots cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices (about 2 cups)
4 stalks celery cut into 1/2-inch slices including leaves (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley

Dumplings

1/3 cup brown or white rice flour
1/3 cup garbanzo or fava bean flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon margarine
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup soy or almond milk
To prepare the soup, heat the oil in a heavy stockpot or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to hot oil and sear until just browned, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken and add onions. Cook until chicken is lightly browned and onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Add broth, thyme and bay leaf. Cover, decrease the heat to low, and cook until chicken is tender and the meat pulls away form the bone, 25 to 30 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate and allow to cool. Add carrots and celery to the pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat or until the vegetables are just tender. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bone and cut into bite-size pieces, discarding the bones. Add the meat back to the pot along with the peas and parsley.

To prepare the dumplings, combine rice flour, bean flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, thyme and salt in a bowl and mix together with a wire whisk until blended. Add margarine and crumble the mixture with your fingers until it resembles coarse sand. With your hands and working quickly, add the egg and a tablespoon at a time of the milk until the dough forms a shaggy ball. It is important that you do not overwork the dough. The dough should just come together and not be too wet.

Using a tablespoon, dip the spoon into the soup, then dip the spoon into the dumpling batter to fill the spoon. Drop it into the slow simmering liquid. Repeat the process by first dipping the spoon into the liquid, then the batter and releasing it into the liquid. Cook dumplings in two batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pot. Once the dumplings are in the simmering liquid, cover immediately and steam for 10 minutes. Do not open the lid until the cooking time is over. Ladle the soup into bowls and place the dumplings on top. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

Oven-Fried Chicken

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 (3.5- to 4-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 cup gluten-free bread crumb coating mix or gluten-free bread crumbs
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375F and oil a rimmed baking sheet with a tablespoon of the oil.

Soak chicken pieces in buttermilk for 30 minutes. Combine bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper in a pie plate. Coat chicken thoroughly with crumbs and arrange on the baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and bake for 1 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Classic Lasagna

1 (14-ounce) package soft tofu (not silken), drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
3/4 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch spinach, stemmed, cleaned and coarsely chopped
1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed and coarsely chopped
4 cups gluten-free tomato or marinara sauce
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons garbanzo or fava bean flour
1 (16-ounce) package gluten-free lasagna noodles

To prepare the filling, coarsely crumble tofu onto two layers of a lint-free dish towel. Wrap tofu in the towel and lightly press out excess moisture; set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saut onion until tender, about 4 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring frequently, until just brown, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. In two batches, add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes each. Stir in basil and tomato sauce. Decrease the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Whisk eggs and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Add flour and whisk until well blended and slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Unwrap tofu, crumble it into small pieces and add it to egg mixture. Stir to fully coat. Set aside.

Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions in salted boiling water, but reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes. The noodles should be slightly firm, as they will continue cooking in the oven. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.

To assemble the lasagna, preheat oven to 350 F. Ladle 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking dish and spread it out evenly. Place 3 lasagna sheets on top of the sauce. Place 1/3 of the tofu mixture on the lasagna sheets along with about a 1/4 of the sauce, distributing it evenly. Repeat layering two more times with 3 lasagna sheets, 1/3 of the tofu mixture and 1/4 of the sauce. Finish with a final layer of noodles and remaining sauce, taking care to spread the sauce evenly all the way to the corners. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lasagna from the oven and let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serves 6-8.

Turkey Meatballs

2 pounds ground turkey thighs
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine ground turkey with onion, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley and salt in a medium bowl.

Spread olive oil over the bottom of a large ovenproof skillet. Roll turkey mixture into 24 meatballs and place them in the skillet, turning each to coat in oil. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake 30 minutes or until meatballs are completely cooked through. Serves 6-8.

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

These look good Julie. Thanks for posting. :)
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

These look good Julie. Thanks for posting. :)

You are welcome...I had made a mistake copying and pasting the chicken and dumpling recipe and i just caught it, it's all fixed now!

#5 April in KC

April in KC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

Thanks! These look good.

#6 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Julie,

I miss my chicken & dumplings. I'm sure that one is good, but I think I'll just stick to my regular recipe but obviously substitute the gluten-free dumplings.

Interesting cookie recipe. Not much flour, and coconut flour at that. I guess I need to get some of that.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#7 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:37 AM

I get the Whole Foods newsletter and I love that they label their recipes depending on what's in them (or isn't in them as the case may be).

I've made a lot of their recipes in the past and really love most of them, they do such a terrific job, I love that store (I have to drive 45 minutes just to get to one)

Susan

#8 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:03 AM

Thanks, Julie! I didn't know that WH had a newsletter. Guess I better get over to their site and register! The Tabouleh and the Chicken/Dumplings sound good to me! I also might tweak my Easy Lasagna recipe a bit to theirs.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#9 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:06 AM

I got those in my email yesterday. ;) I am going to try the chocolate chocolate chip cookie recipe today. It seems like it would work great for people who have to avaid all grains. I'll post back after the taste testing.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#10 Juliet

Juliet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

I made the chocolate chocolate chip cookies today - they were absolutely delicious! I could detect the coconut flavor just slightly, so they reminded me of an extremely chocolatey, less coconut-y, chocolate macaroon with chips (I omitted nuts). It was very easy and quick to put together, too. Can't wait to try the others now!

#11 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

I made the chocolate chocolate chip cookies today - they were absolutely delicious! I could detect the coconut flavor just slightly, so they reminded me of an extremely chocolatey, less coconut-y, chocolate macaroon with chips (I omitted nuts). It was very easy and quick to put together, too. Can't wait to try the others now!

I'm so glad to hear they came out so well, I'm going to try this recipe out very soon :)

#12 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

Gluten-Free Tabouleh

1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
5 green onions, finely chopped
2 cups small grape tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 to 2 lemons, more to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients together in a large serving bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve room temperature or chilled. Serves 4.

Somebody brought this to our support group meeting last night, and it was deeelish!
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#13 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Somebody brought this to our support group meeting last night, and it was deeelish!

Good to hear, it does sound yummy!

#14 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the recipe reviews!! I will report back when I make something too!
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: