Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Whole Grain Popcorn?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am currently eating gluten-free, nightshade free and don't eat some lectins. I usually can eat popcorn without a problem but... I was reading the label on a box of popcorn and it said "made with whole grain popcorn."

What the heck? Never saw this before on a label. My question is this: what is whole grain popcorn? If I'm avoiding gluten, can it safely be eaten?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice/help with this. This forum has been invaluable to me as I work through my many food "issues."

Turkeybird

Ads by Google:

corn is a grain, and like any grain, can be refined. popcorn generally isn't, but that doesn't stop someone from putting 'whole grain' on a label. the only grains that you need to be concerned about are wheat, barley, rye, and oats.

corn is a grain, and like any grain, can be refined. popcorn generally isn't, but that doesn't stop someone from putting 'whole grain' on a label. the only grains that you need to be concerned about are wheat, barley, rye, and oats.

Thanks for your speedy reply! That was the info I was looking for. Thanks goodness too, as I had already eaten the popcorn and then realized the whole grain label. No I won't wory about being sick the rest of today and most of tomorrow.

Thanks again.

turkeybird

LOL! It's a marketing gimmick. Of course popcorn is made from the entire corn grain, it wouldn't pop otherwise.

You'll be alright by eating Whole-Grain Rice, Corn, but not wheat, Rye, etc. anything obvious.