8 replies to this topic

#1 roxie

roxie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Ok - what is the deal with nightshade vegetables? I am not clear as to why we need to avoid them, and what is bad about them. I have arthritis in my back, and have recently been reading that some people with arthritis benefit from avoiding them. Do sweet potatoes count? I have always heard that tomatoes and tomato sauces were supposed to be so good for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

Roxie, nightshade foods contain oxalates, which can make arthritis much worse. In addition they are also high in lectins and salicylates, which are also not great for arthritis!

I know that I have beginning arthritis in one vertebra in my back. It is not bothering me unless I eat either rice, egg or potatoes (gluten too, but I wouldn't dare eat it, anyway). Rice and eggs being lectin foods also.

Tomatoes are good for people who are not intolerant to them, and who don't have arthritis. The same goes for peppers.

My suggestion is, why don't you eliminate all nightshade foods for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference? You may be surprised by how much better your back feels.

If within a month you can't tell a difference you may be fine with nightshades.

So, what have you got to lose by giving it a try? And no, sweet potatoes are fine, they are not a nightshade vegetable.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Another interesting thing about nightshades, is that they require calcium for metabolizing. This means that if you eat nightshades and don't have enough calcium around in your meal, you'll suck it out of your bones to digest the nightshades.

SWEET POTATOES are not a nightshade; they are in the marigold family.

If you're worried about missing out on the healthy stuff in tomato, there are plenty of alternatives. One thing about them is the vitamin c, and that is pretty easy to replace. But another thing is the lycopenes. Also in watermelon, grapefruit, and apricot. Another thing is that these bioflavinoids are often grouped by color - eat lots of deep red foods like beets or berries and the like to get similar goodness to tomatoes.

#4 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Very interesting discussion. They found the beginning stages of arthritis in my back when they did a cat scan last year. I don't have any pain. Do nightshades always make arthritis worse or only if you are sensitive to nightshades? I have never had any trouble with nightshades in the pase.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#5 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Just a little note: Paprika is from a type of pepper, which also means curry powder contains a nightshade too.

Phyllis28: I didn't have any trouble with nightshades (that I know of) until going gluten-free. I suppose it was just a slow progression, accompanied by the fact that I increased my consumption of potatoes when gluten-free.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#6 Discovery

Discovery

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

Ok - what is the deal with nightshade vegetables? I am not clear as to why we need to avoid them, and what is bad about them. I have arthritis in my back, and have recently been reading that some people with arthritis benefit from avoiding them. Do sweet potatoes count? I have always heard that tomatoes and tomato sauces were supposed to be so good for you.

Hello Roxie:) The nightshade plants have long been touted as causing arthritis....eggplant, peppers, white potatoes, tomatoes. Yes tomato sauce may be good (vit C) for some, but hard on arthritis suffers. No, sweet potatoes are not considered nightshade plant. They were actually mislabeled by an explorer (forgotten his name). The lighter ones are best because of lower sugar content. Sugar is such a damaging "food" for Celiacs. I read that the United States never had wheat before the explorers landed. This is corn country. I have stopped all nightshade plants and my arthritic symptoms have grately improved. I miss them, but I don't miss the joint pain, back pain, neck pain, even my big toes, ouch....all gone. Good luck:)

#7 Guest_hightop girl_*

Guest_hightop girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

That is interesting because when I eat white potatos, my knee and hands swell. I do not tolerate rice well. What is the issue with rice. I can eat rice crackers but not real rice.

#8 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

That is interesting because when I eat white potatos, my knee and hands swell. I do not tolerate rice well. What is the issue with rice. I can eat rice crackers but not real rice.

You may be intolerant to lectin foods. Those include all grains (including rice), nightshade vegetables, all dairy, legumes, eggs.

Most of the time people won't be intolerant to all of those, but I am.

Here is a link to check it out:

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

Is there a test for Lectin intolerance or would I have to just do an elimination diet? I have a feeling I have a lot of these....

Also, would lectin intolerance inhibit the regrowth of vili if I have been off gluten now for like 6 months but not lectins? I do get extremely achy (to the point of tears) from peppers and canned tomatoes (seem to be worse than fresh for me) potatoes etc. I was thinking eggs last week.

thanks everyone:)

kinda scrathing my head I don't feel like I am healing much

lovelove
sickchick
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: