This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Good Books Lately?

debmidge

kschauer Rookie

I'm late into this topic - but . . .

I recently read "Into Thin Air" about an Everest climb - couldn't put it down! I have no interest in climbing anything, before or after reading, but the story was absolutely great.

I liked "Freakonomics" - put a crazy twist on social trends I thought.

All time favorite novels are "The Thornbirds" and "Gone with the Wind". Also loved "Scarlett" but was recently very disappointed in "Rhett Butler's People." I also love the Burning Shore by Smith. I re-read these pretty often.

"The Great Railway Bazaar" was good I thought, but not great. Same with "My Other Life" I think I'm just not thrilled with Theroux's writing style.

I'm currently reading "Pattern Recognition" and I don't have a clue where it's going but so far that's a good thing.

I've added some of ya'll suggestions but my list to read soon has:

The Rhythm of Life

Glass Castle

Three Cups of Tea

Merle's Door

Midnight's Children

The Constant Gardener

All the President's Men

No Country for Old Men

Light Years

The Red Tent

The Good Earth - a re-read, but I remember loving it in school.

Clan of the Cave Bears

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
still tiredofdoctors Rookie

I'm late in the topic, also.

I guess my all-time favorite read is one of those touchy-feely books: All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.

I'm currently reading The Four Agreements

I found a fantastic book (and now can't find it because I unpacked and don't know where I put it when I came home!) with regard to Celiac Nutrition vs. just recipes, just information . . .

purple Community Regular

Yeah, I'm late too. I read and reread "Streams In The Desert" by L.B. Cowman and Jon Courson's Application Commentary on the Bible. And of course the Bible...KJV. Beth Moore is amazing and David Wilkerson.

kschauer Rookie

Forgot to add some that I really liked, and second some of your suggestions:

The Kite Runner - I thought it was great, I heard there is a movie out now?

Atlas Shrugged - long read and I'm not sure I enjoyed it

Hiroshima by Hershey - quick read but pretty powerful.

Brick Lane - Interesting, but overall I was not impressed

Atonement - Not enjoyable reading for me. I can see how people say it's well written, I just didn't enjoy reading it.

Our Man in Havanna - Interesting, kind of bizaar, quick read.

The Five Languages of Love - essential for couples I think.

Marley and Me - for the dog lovers.

Ruffian - for the horse lovers.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Three Cups of Tea

Ugh...LOL. Just curious - did anyone read this book and actually get through it? Took me about three months to get half way through, then I gave up. Life is just too short. :rolleyes:B)

kschauer Rookie
Ugh...LOL. Just curious - did anyone read this book and actually get through it? Took me about three months to get half way through, then I gave up. Life is just too short. :rolleyes:B)

Really? :huh: I will scratch that one from the list, thanks. I don't want to struggle through something.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Really? :huh: I will scratch that one from the list, thanks. I don't want to struggle through something.

One of my faves is definitely the LOTR trilogy, I tried reading the Silmarillion though, wow that was tough......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

renegadeoridiot Newbie

Hi,

New member here. I read for escapism and have recently discovered Peter James - His crime stuff not the horror novels. Loved Dead Simple and the sequels.

fedora Enthusiast

hi,

I am a huge avid reader. I just finished The Princess Bride by William Goldman(the 25th anniversary adition). I LOVED the movie AND I LOVED the book too!

I read a lot of fantasy, but I read anything. The only thing I have never read is western. but I would.

Last year I started a list on my computer of the books I have read. It is easy to do on the computer and it helps me keep track, since I read so much.

Seen some good recommendations on here.

I LOVE:

All books by Guy Gavriel Kay(fantasy)

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan(fantasy)

Patricia Mckillip(fantasy writer)

Tolkien

The Red Tent

The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamont

The Princess Bride

The Mists of Avalon and the other Avalon books by Marrian Zimmer Bradley

Ursala LeQuin (fantasy and science fiction writer)

I love to read books my son reads to- the Eragon books, Harry Potter, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle. I just started the Golden Compass last night. I am glad I saw the movie or I would be confused.

This summer I read

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Eat Pray LoveBeautiful Boy by David Sheff, Tweak by NIc Sheff(both are autobiographical by a dad and the son who is a drug addict)

Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay(fantasy)

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

the lastest Julie spencer-Fleming book in her Russ and Clair series Thou Shall NOt Want(mystery and love)

I could go one forever about books

eeyore Collaborator

The Bible

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

Any book by C. S. Lewis

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander

Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

The Story of Milk and The series Belgariad I've heard from family members are good

The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen Lawhead...I've only read the first book but it's pretty good...

That's all I can think of for now...

Archived