This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Other Foods To Avoid?

scottyfeelsick

scottyfeelsick Rookie

How do I know what other foods I might have a problem with? It seems like no matter what I eat or don't eat I still feel bad. Some people say to eat only certain foods, others say those same foods give them problems. What do I eat on an elimination diet? just rice? some people have a problem with rice. How would I know. I feel like I need to feel better from gluten first, then I can find other food problems. But maybe I have other food intolerances that are keeping me from healing from my gluten damage.?!

I have been gluten and dairy free for 6 weeks, after positive enterolab results. I have been slowly cutting out corn and soy as well. A couple days ago I went off of all nightshades and rice. Do I need to cut out rice!? how about wild rice? Wondering about cutting out legumes as well. Before a year ago I have never been allergic to anything in my entire life. I think I am down to some fruits and veggies, quinoa and buckwheat, fish and turkey, flax and pumpkin seeds, almonds, and olive oil. Do I need to cut out all grains? Enterolab results said I had no problem with chicken eggs, does that mean I should go ahead and eat eggs without a worry.

I cook 100% of my food myself. Extremely carefull about CC. I eat very healthy- No proccesed foods.

My diarrhea has been turning into relativly bad constipation since being off of gluten. I still get very bloated. And still very fatigued. I need to sleep all the time. Still no libido(but I have low testosterone and thyroid-probably a seperate issue).

Can I just get an allergy test to find out right away what I can and cannot eat? or if the gluten caused other food problems, does that mean it would be a "food intolerance"? if so can i get a test for that? People just tell me to cut out foods that I don't tolerate well, until I heal from gluten. But I can't seem to get better to find out what I might have a problem with.

I am sorry for the long and confusing post, I am just so frusterated and feeling lost, I don't know what to do. thanx alot for any help anybody might have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Analisa Rookie
How do I know what other foods I might have a problem with? It seems like no matter what I eat or don't eat I still feel bad. Some people say to eat only certain foods, others say those same foods give them problems. What do I eat on an elimination diet? just rice? some people have a problem with rice. How would I know. I feel like I need to feel better from gluten first, then I can find other food problems. But maybe I have other food intolerances that are keeping me from healing from my gluten damage.?!

I have been gluten and dairy free for 6 weeks, after positive enterolab results. I have been slowly cutting out corn and soy as well. A couple days ago I went off of all nightshades and rice. Do I need to cut out rice!? how about wild rice? Wondering about cutting out legumes as well. Before a year ago I have never been allergic to anything in my entire life. I think I am down to some fruits and veggies, quinoa and buckwheat, fish and turkey, flax and pumpkin seeds, almonds, and olive oil. Do I need to cut out all grains? Enterolab results said I had no problem with chicken eggs, does that mean I should go ahead and eat eggs without a worry.

I cook 100% of my food myself. Extremely carefull about CC. I eat very healthy- No proccesed foods.

My diarrhea has been turning into relativly bad constipation since being off of gluten. I still get very bloated. And still very fatigued. I need to sleep all the time. Still no libido(but I have low testosterone and thyroid-probably a seperate issue).

Can I just get an allergy test to find out right away what I can and cannot eat? or if the gluten caused other food problems, does that mean it would be a "food intolerance"? if so can i get a test for that? People just tell me to cut out foods that I don't tolerate well, until I heal from gluten. But I can't seem to get better to find out what I might have a problem with.

I am sorry for the long and confusing post, I am just so frusterated and feeling lost, I don't know what to do. thanx alot for any help anybody might have.

Hey,

So I totally understand what you are going through. I don't know how much help I'm going to be, since I'm going through this myself- and still unsure of some things- but the following is my advice.

I would highly recommend sticking with an elimination diet. I think that that will help you sort out what foods you need to be avoiding. Also about rice, I totally had the same debate and just found out that I can have rice! What I would do, if you are really concerned that it is a problem, I would cut it out for a few days and see what happens. If you don't see any difference then try adding it back in for a day and again see what happens. Also, I've heard that rice can be somewhat constipating so maybe that is why you have experienced that change?

I would recommend avoiding any processed food- I know that even "safe" foods for me that are processed can make me feel funny- not sick but just off. So until you know exactly what's bothering you I would just try to keep it as natural as possible. Oh, and I'm sorry but I have no idea about the eggs.

If after being on the elimination diet for some time, you still don't feel better then I would suggest trying to research other things, like intestinal yeast infections, leaky gut, thyroid problems, etc.

Just on a side note, I've heard that aloe juice helps heal the gut, so maybe you could try that to help you heal. I don't know if this helps at all, but I hope that you get to feeling better. :)

Octoberme Apprentice

Hey Scotty, I am in the same boat as you and am on the verge of giving up. If you find out anything let me know. I am even quitting the whole gluten free diet just cause I did not notice much of a change...I still was allergic / intolerable to all foods it seems. I am just fed up. Just had a colonoscopy yesterday and they said " everything looks great, whatever is wrong with you will go away in time I am sure, just tough it out " ...ya right...

Hope you find some answers.

Lisa Mentor

I am sorry that you (all) are going through a tough time. I do not have other food issues other than associated with Celiac, so I can not advise you about other food intolerance's.

I DO know that anyone who jumps on the gluten free diet and claims to be 100% gluten free for the first several weeks, is delusional. (I do not mean this to be rude in anyway :) ) The total gluten free diet is very complex and it takes weeks, if not several months to master it. Remember with Celiac, and I don't know if you have it or not, one tiny molecule will kick off an autoimmune reaction. I was reading everything I could get my hands on when I was first diagnosed and I was left totally alone in my quest for knowledge - it took me many months to see a marked improvement. Healing time is also determined by the amount of damage.

There is just too much to learn and too many traps. That is why Scott Adams developed this site and that's why so many people stick around and try to help the "newly needy". Experience is the best teacher.

Dietary response is a diagnoses is itself. If a TOTAL gluten free diet (and you are certain of that) does not help you, and you feel that you have given the diet adequate time to heal, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

I hope you find your answers.

fedora Enthusiast

hi, I am sorry for your frustration.

I have been there too. I attempted the elimination diet, but could not stay on it for more than a week. I was eating lots of whole long grain rice. What I discovered is if I eat too much, I get sick. I am totally fine with just a normal amount. Over doing a food can cause problems that wouldn't happen eating a mixed diet.

I agree with momma goose. I would have sworn I was 100% gluten free. Until I discovered I wasn't. ugh. It was my pickles. The vinegar(heinz apple cider flavored vinegar) has gluten. I discovered that 2 months into the gluten free diet. Some of my gluten-free friends do not eat any vinegar at all, or eggs from chickens that could have eaten wheat. Their eggs come from corn fed chickens(we live in the country so they have the chickens). I do eat organic eggs from the store.

Enough time may not have passed. Six weeks is not that long. I am just experimenting with one food at a time now. I have discovered I don't digest nuts. I am fine with nut milk though. Dairy makes me sick. Good luck.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hi all!

It sounds like some of the stuff you're eating can be tough to digest. I'm thinking of the pumpkin seeds. Very good for you, but a bit tough on the old system.

I do not eat any grains at all, but do enjoy the non-grain grains, such as quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth. Buckwheat does give some folks trouble.

The biggies to get rid of first (you may already have done so)

GLUTEN

CORN

SOY

DAIRY

EGGS

Then

NIGHTSHADES (this does not include sweet potato, which is in marigold family or black pepper)

LEGUMES

GRAINS (besides gluten, which is an obvious one, right?)

I did get allergy testing. I tested as not allergic to a single thing. This was the ALISA test (blood), not the skin test. However, I can't really eat honey or potato for sure, and have some trouble with all grains. I'm not sure -- if you have intolerances, or are currently unable to digest well due to long-term celiac, then allergies might not be the biggest of your difficulties.

Have you tried taking any digestive enzymes? I used DigestGold for a while when I was coming off the gluten, as well as Betain HCI, which is supposed to raise your stomach acid though there is some debate whether or not it actually does. I eventually got off those as they stopped being helpful; but I think at first this may have really helped.

As to the constipation and bloat - that is my area of expertise. I have perfected both of these things -- for 35 years was the queen of constipation and bloat.

We need three things to have good bowel movements: Liquid (water and water from foods, etc.), Mass (fiber, roughage, etc.), and Oil (to lube the pipes I suppose). If you get lots of fiber w/o lots of liquid and oil, you'll have trouble. My biggest trigger for constipation is dairy. My biggest trigger for bloat is dairy, then dried fruit, then sugar of any kind.

I eat lots of avocado (fiber and oil), which no doubt helps. For a while I ate flax seed, which really bulked thing up (be sure to drink lots of water if you eat flax seed, and be sure it's not rancid, which causes inflammation - you're best off to grind it yourself in a coffee grinder not used for coffee).

I feel like I've been rambling.

Check these things: do you eat dairy, nightshades, dried fruit, lots of sugary fruits or sugar, or not enough liquid or not enough oil or too much salt (contractive)?

beans are good fiber (if you can tolerate them, I can't), avocados, flax seeds, greens, veggies.

Have you thought of keeping a food diary and recording what/when/how much you eat, then recording on the same sheet how you feel, when you poop, etc.? This can be very helpful (and usually folks writing down what they're eating eat a lot more healthily.)

It sounds like you're eating some good stuff, so I don't know specifically what it is. But hopefully I've said something that makes you think about something - I'm scattered this morning.

Oh yeah, vitamin/mineral deficiencies can also cause constipation. I forget which...folks on here know. I'm sure someone will say.

AliB Enthusiast

My bowels went pretty much full circle for the first few weeks and are still not totally settled after nearly three months, but it is better. Like you, I have had issues with different foods and it is a process of elimination which is not always easy to pinpoint.

Because of the gut damage and also, I think, damage within the liver and pancreas, we are not always producing enough of certain enzymes.

I have noticed that quite often, people say that although they felt better for a while, they have gone backwards, or, they have dropped gluten but are not feeling any better at all. That would suggest that there are other foods that are also causing problems. I do believe that for a lot of people, the problem is not just gluten, but Carbohydrates as a whole.

I have been following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is basically a Paleo type diet based on plain unprocessed and unadulterated meat, poultry and fish, fresh (organic if poss) fruit and vegetables and a little honey and yogurt. It does seem to be helping and although i get a little blip now and again, especially if I indulge in any carbs, generally I am slowly feeling a little better. It is not fast, but it is progress and we all progress at different speeds.

I know exactly how you feel - it is very frustrating, especially when you feel that there is nothing you can eat, but even though the diet is limited to those things, there is still a huge variety to choose from. I am looking at the Metabolic Typing Diet too at the moment as I am pretty sure I am a 'protein' type, as I know I need plenty of that and I can't cope with carbs.

Have you tried taking any digestive enzymes with your food? I have been doing that but am undecided whether they help or not - it may be that I need to take more than is suggested. I probably need to experiment a bit. I might also see the Doc to see if I can be tested to pancreatic insufficiency. As I am diabetic and my Pancreas is not producing enough insulin, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is short on enzymes too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

scottyfeelsick Rookie

Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreaciate it. "Bully4You, momma goose, fedora and Alib", I have cut out all the most common problem foods: I went dairy free at the same time as gluten free, followed shortly by soy free and then corn free. I went egg free for a short time, and now I eat them(only localy organic farmed) with out any problems as long as they are cooked. I used to eat raw eggs but now I feel not so good after them for a couple hours, so I only eat them cooked, and not very often anyway. Almost all my food comes from my local farmers markets, so it is all organic. I have been eating nightshades, and I don't feel worse afterward. I heard that since I have nothing like joint pain of any kind that those are probably o.k. I still eat legumes especially peanut butter, but I cut out peanut butter for a week or two and after reintroducing it I think I feel better than without it. I take a certified gluten free probiotic because I am currently off of dairy(no yogurt). Even though I hate the idea of taking any type of pill. I do eat a little dried fruit, mostly prunes, and a few raisins. No refined sugars. I eat mostly veggies, quite a variety also, as I mostly eat whats in season because I shop at the farmers markets(so mostly root veggies as of latelly). Usually with olive oil and maybe some fish. NOTE: I do eat alot of flax seeds, freshly ground in a coffee grinder, but I also drink alot of water as well, as I am very active on a daily basis for my job. I also eat a few peices of fresh fruit everyday as well. Also I drink plain rice milk(pacific brand Gluten-free).

Could it be that I don't have any food intolerances other that gluten, and it is just that my intestines are having a hard time digesting because they are still damaged?

If so, speaking of digestion only (not common intolerances), what are some foods that are going to be more trouble for a damaged intestine to easily deal with?

I will stay off of dairy and soy for a while no matter what, beacause I heard it coats the intestine the same way that gluten does, but I am thinking i might try corn again. As long as it doesn't get any worse, does that mean corn is most likely ok for me?

I know this might sound ignorant, but I just can't imagine I would have an intolerance to any other food, I have always been really healthy and athletic my whole life and always had a bit of an "iron gut" with anything that I ever ate.

Sorry for such a long post, thanks again for all your help.

flourgirl Apprentice

Hi Scottyfeelsick. I know exactly where you're coming from. I've been on the diet for 6 months and am just starting to feel "better". I'm not 100% yet, but gaining. It seemed like forever, but for most of that time it didn't matter if I ate or not, or what I ate, the pain was almost unbearable. I had a host of other symptoms as well as digestive that just did not want to let me go! Perseverance is needed, and patience. Stay vigilant about everything, making sure it truly IS gluten free. At some point you'll realize that, wow, hey I DO feel a bit better. It's a lifetime change, so give it time to become habit. As your gut heals, you probably will be able to tolerate more of those additional foods that are bothersome right now.

Good luck, hang in there, heal fast!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I wonder if you felt better with the peanut butter since it has high protein. What other protein sources do you have in your diet besides the occasional fish/turkey? and pumpkin seeds?

There is some thinking about nutritional typing/metabolic typing that says some folks need more animal protein than others; and that some of that might be best as red meat (different chemical makeup). I don't know. I have experimented with different amounts of red meat from none for twenty years, to a grass-fed burger every two days. Still not sure what I think. Anyway, it's something to think about.

I sure hope you feel better soon. It is possible you have a candida problem that is causing the bloating. The number one thing that helped my bloating was quitting sugar. And this includes dried fruits, in fact, they were a big problem for me.

The only other thing about the constipation is that walking really helps. I know you said you were active, so you probably have that handled as well.

You'e a tough case since it seems you've gotten all the big obvious stuff taken care of. Maybe it's peristalsis issue...do you eat at the same time every day? I'm grasping.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, as to which foods are easier for the gut to handle? I think that is individual. Chewing your food really well will help a lot. Not eating too much in one sitting will really help a lot. Not eating anything from 7pm or so until morning will probably really help a lot (rest). Digestive enzymes might well help quite a bit, as well as betain hci or some other sorts of things like pancreatic stuff.

Archived