21 replies to this topic

#16 mela14

mela14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 05:59 AM

It sounds like you have your diet worked out. I'm glad that you found something that works for you. I am try so hard to find some balance i mine. It seems that I know what I can or can't eat but something always sneaks in there. I need to be more analytical of food from restaruants and groceries(meat and fish) that I buy from the store. Definately not taking the butcher or fisherman's word from a food store chain that is NOT organic. From now on....I only buy meat and fish from stores like Whole Foods that cater to people like us or those that want to eat healthier with less preservatives and chemicals.
I've been eating very little these past few days because my gut is so raw and I am just not hungry! last night I had a few bites of steak and a baked sweet potatoe. My gut this morning is sitll not right. I'm sure it will all take a while to heal. In the meantime, I am going to baby myself and stick to the few foods that I KNOW won't bother me!
Thanks for your help!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:59 PM

KL Terry,

Here are some support groups in Pittsburgh. I found them at the site here, http://www.enabling....s/groupsus.html, which provides contact information for support groups in US states. Here's for all of Pennsylvania: http://www.enabling....a.html#Contacts

Group: Greater Pittsburgh Celiac Sprue Support Group
City: Pittsburgh
Contacts:
   Mary Neville
      1446 Greenbriar Court
      Library, PA  15129
      412-833-9507
   Lorraine Weaver
      220 Trotwood West Dr.
      Pittsburgh, PA  15241
      412-835-4983
   Corrine Heyz
      412-864-4137
Internet:
   Mary Neville, mpnev@aol.com
   Lorraine Weaver, 71024.3427@compuserve.com
Updated: 10 Mar 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Group: Pittsburgh East Area Celiac Sprue Support
Contacts:
   Elsie Janthey
      204 George Lane
      Pittsburgh, PA  15235
      412-823-2010
   Lois Kosoglow
      412-744-2356
   Ruth Masengill
      412-327-5564
Updated: 10 Dec 1997

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resource Unit
Contacts:
   Theresa Fogle
      125 Broadlawn Dr.
      New Kensington, PA  15068
      724-335-4892
Updated: 10 Mar 2001

#18 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

From the day I was diagnosed, I did not let a MORSEL of gluten pass my lips, knowingly. I just switched to "real food," meaning that I ate plain meats, seasoned by me, fresh fruits and veggies, rice and potatoes. I only ate baked goods I made myself. I'd been a label reader for years, so while shopping was time consuming, it wasn't too hard.

All that said... it took an entire year for my system to get back to any semblence of "normal." Luckily, I don't have other food allergies and can have dairy and stuff.

I've been gluten-free for 3 years. Several times in the last year, I've eaten a piece of bread or had a few sips of beer... "to experiment," and have had little or no repercussions. But I think it's because I am SOOOOO completely gluten-free all the time.

I keep thinking that I might be able to "plan" cheats... like eating pizza once a month... and not hurting myself. But so far, it's just dreaming... I've read too much about what gluten does to your intestines.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#19 ongoingvoni

ongoingvoni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:10 PM

Hi, I was just diagnosed yesterday. At least that is when all the test results came back in and I am at a total loss of what to eat. I am also a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed July 12, 1991. so I have to incorperate the two diets. I am on disability and receive only $36 a month in food stamps. Is the gluten free diet very expensive?

I read a deal on webmd about finding the hidden gluten in products. How do I do that? how do I know if the food I am eating is gluten free? Am I limited to fruits and veggies and meats because of my limited resources?

I need help!

voni

#20 KLTerry

KLTerry

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:58 AM

Hi Voni. Unfortunately, many of the gluten-free foods specifically made to be gluten free are expensive. However, there are mainstream foods out there that are naturally gluten-free. I know I came across a link on one of the boards on this very site that allowed me to print out lots of items at a normal grocery store that I could buy. Hienz ketchup is gluten-free, Dinty Moore Beef Stew is gluten free, Yoplait yogurt is gluten free. I wish I knew where that link was, but I'm new to this as well. If you go to the food section of this board and post a messsage asking for mainstream foods, I know someone could help you. Best of luck to you!

P.S. Is there any way, given your new medical need for gluten-free food that you can get an increase on your food stamps?
Diagnosed 6/04
Diagnosis retracted 7/04
Diagnosed again 8/04
Trying to be gluten free since 1/05. It's hard!

Pittsburgh, PA

#21 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:15 AM

There are many, many, many "regular" foods that are gluten-free.

richard

#22 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:36 AM

Instead of looking for special foods that I can eat.....i just stick to the basics. Meat, fish, veggies, fruit. For desert I have Rice Creams frozen non-dairy desert. It's gluten-free and little bit does the trick for me when I want a sweet treat after dinner. As for something to pick on when everyone else is picking on something I keep Terra Sweet Potatoe chips on hand or Lays Original Potatoe chips. Eveything else ....I stick with the basics and have my three meals.
Good luck!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: