38 replies to this topic

#1 shacon_bacon

shacon_bacon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

With summer coming, I'm dying for our old ritual of Sunday night Dairy Queen...

Does anyone know if there is ANYTHING there gluten free??? Any ice cream???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Here's their gluten-free list--

http://www.dairyquee...-free-products/

Enjoy! :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:38 PM

We also like to go to Dairy Queen. My son gets ice cream sundays or dilly bars. Here is some information I got from their website:

DQ® Gluten-Free Products

For our customers with gluten intolerance, the following Dairy Queen® treats are some of our top selling gluten-free products: containing no wheat, barley, oats or rye.

Vanilla and Chocolate Soft Serve
Arctic Rush™ slush - all flavors
MooLatté®
(Please note: This does NOT include Hazelnut Flavored drinks.)

Additionally the following toppings are gluten-free:

Chocolate
Hot Fudge
Marshmallow
Butterscotch
Strawberry
Caramel

Our supplier of manufactured novelties informs us that the following items are also gluten-free:

DQ® Fudge Bar
DQ® Vanilla Orange Bar
Dilly® Bar (look for this in a sealed plastic wrap)

If you would like to try one of our famous Blizzard® treats, the following is a list of gluten-free Blizzard® treats.

Reese’s® Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard®
Butterfinger® Blizzard®
Snickers® Blizzard®
Heath® Blizzard®
M&M® Blizzard®
Banana Split Blizzard®
Hawaiian Blizzard®
Tropical Blizzard®
Strawberry Blizzard®
Mint M&M® Blizzard®

Please know, many of our Blizzard® candies and toppings contain wheat, rye, oats, and/or barley and would not be safe for a customer with gluten intolerance. As the Blizzard® machine is used for all flavors, cross-contamination may occur on any flavor Blizzard®. So for your safety, we recommend notifying the Dairy Queen® staff of your allergy or intolerance and requesting they thoroughly clean the Blizzard® machine before blending your Blizzard® to reduce the risk of cross-contamination.

When in doubt whether a product may contain a particular allergen, we recommend you purchase a pre-packaged manufactured novelty treat, which contains an ingredient listing and nutrition facts panel on the package.

Dairy Queen® restaurants are very busy and cross contamination may occur between ingredients. Thus a 100% confidence level cannot be guaranteed. It is important that you ask your local Dairy Queen® restaurant for an ingredient listing of the specific item in question and let them know of your special needs.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#4 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Also, if you get soft serve, make sure and ask if they practice making cones and then dump the ice cream back into the machine--CC. We used to do that where I worked in high school :o

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

Also, if you get soft serve, make sure and ask if they practice making cones and then dump the ice cream back into the machine--CC. We used to do that where I worked in high school :o

Same here . . . of course that was over 25 years ago . . . did I say 25? I meant 15? . . . 10?

Also use to dump back in if it weighed too much. . . we had to weigh each cone and made sure it was within tolerance. If it weighed too much, it got dumped into a special container that was allowed to melt in the refrigerator, strained and then put back into the soft serve machine.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 babysteps

babysteps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

wow, good tip about the re-cycled soft serve!

at the DQ link, if you click through to the "nutrition calculator" you can get a full list of ingredients. For example, the vanilla soft serve ingredient list (as of Apr 23, 2008) is:

Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

(I chose "cone" category, but ingredients for cone & soft serve are listed separately)
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

#7 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Has anyone asked DQ if this is still how they do things? In the process of asking, let them know that if they still do this, they need to stop listing the product as gluten free. This could easily be another situation where they don't "connect the dots."
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#8 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

Has anyone asked DQ if this is still how they do things? In the process of asking, let them know that if they still do this, they need to stop listing the product as gluten free. This could easily be another situation where they don't "connect the dots."

I guess that's why the disclaimer:

Dairy Queen® restaurants are very busy and cross contamination may occur between ingredients. Thus a 100% confidence level cannot be guaranteed. It is important that you ask your local Dairy Queen® restaurant for an ingredient listing of the specific item in question and let them know of your special needs

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#9 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

I guess that's why the disclaimer:

Dairy Queen® restaurants are very busy and cross contamination may occur between ingredients. Thus a 100% confidence level cannot be guaranteed. It is important that you ask your local Dairy Queen® restaurant for an ingredient listing of the specific item in question and let them know of your special needs

Unless someone at that location was gluten intolerant, it would never occur to anyone who worked there that the practice of dumping the practice cones back into the machine would contaminate the entire batch. They would not make the connection. If you just asked about the ingredients, they would say "no." The corporate office needs to be informed so they can remove the product from even suggesting that it might be gluten free, or to retrain every employee (most of whom won't believe it anyway . . . . :huh: )
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#10 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

I'm switching over to the DQ site right now and I will shoot them an email. I will let you know what their response is . . .
Janet

Posted Image

#11 toomuchagony

toomuchagony

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

OH WOW EH :o

Well gee I just LOVE soft-serve!!! Here I usually buy it by the "take-home liter" (quart for ya southers!)

I am going to go and pay an in person visit to the DQ here in my little town and ASK them about their current practices and what they can assure me IS in fact gluten free tomorrow. I'll post my results after.

#12 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

My email:

My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease a little over a year ago. At that time I joined an online forum that shares information/recipes/coping strategies etc for people with celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Recently, a member asked if anyone knew what was available at Dairy Queen that was gluten free. Another member responded with the information that is listed on your website. The chocolate and vanilla soft serve were both listed as gluten free.

When I was in high school (a long, long time ago - OK, about 25 years ago), I worked at a DQ. When I was there, they had a policy of saving the soft serve from the practice cones of trainees, or cones that were not up to par in looks/shape/size. They would scrape the top off of the cone, discard the cone, allow the soft serve to melt in the refrigerator, strain it (for cone pieces) and then cycle it back through the machine. Do you know if this is a common practice? Is it still something that could happen today? I bring this up because this soft serve would be considered cross contaminated and some individuals would suffer a reaction. As it is currently an open discussion, I plan to share your response with the forum that I participate in.

I also want to add, that your answer will not keep me from taking my family to DQ, but it will determine what I will allow my daughter to order and I know many Celiacs that feel the same way.
(This was my attempt to let them know that the truth is more important than the practice, if you know what I mean.)

Their response:

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting International Dairy Queen, Inc. (IDQ) with your
request for Dairy Queen® gluten-free nutritional information. Absolutely
the procedure you have described from your high school days is not an IDQ
approved practice and we would not expect any of our stores to do so.
However, I would always urge you to contact your local store for the most
accurate answer.

We know dealing with gluten intolerance can be very difficult and Dairy
Queen would like to help you enjoy your favorite Dairy Queen treats while
still following a safe diet. Unfortunately, we do not have a complete
list of gluten-free products at this time, but hopefully the following
information will be of assistance to you. If you are looking for something
other then the products listed, please check out our nutrition calculator
at the link below.

They then listed all the information that is found on their web-site.

So here's the new question . . . if it's not an IDQ practice (and I would expect that it never was), would a franchise admit that they do it?
Janet

Posted Image

#13 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

So here's the new question . . . if it's not an IDQ practice (and I would expect that it never was), would a franchise admit that they do it?

Unfortunately that is going to depend on the character qualities of the manager. :huh:

Wouldn't you just love to be the (invisible so you didn't get swatted) fly on the wall so you really knew? :lol:

#14 shacon_bacon

shacon_bacon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to find that out. I suspect that at my local dairy queen, I could walk in and ask the 16 year old girl behind the counter if that was what she did when she was trained and she would tell the truth...

That's interesting to know they may do that, I would have NEVER thought of that. Thanks all for the responses!

#15 Rabbit280

Rabbit280

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:38 AM

Hello,

I am newly diagnosed with wheat intolerance, and I really appreciate a site that will help me with this new lifestyle change. Thank you all for doing so much research. It is refreshing to see people really get to the heart of the wheat issue with restaurants.

I am happy that I can still have blizzards!!! (of course, I will have to ask about putting the ice cream back in. :rolleyes: )

Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: