38 replies to this topic

#16 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

I am happy that I can still have blizzards!!! (of course, I will have to ask about putting the ice cream back in. :rolleyes: )

Please be SO careful with the blizzards. They often use the same spoons for all the mix-ins, there is such a huge risk for CC and a lot of the times the candy mix-ins are all in open containers. I would hate for a twix to get into the M&M's..... Not to mention if the machine isn't cleaned thoroughly between each blizzard. If you have a Cold Stone Creamery, try them. They will dig 'clean' ice cream from a new bucket, get mix-ins from a new box and mix for you on a clean stone. They are always super accomodating and I always tip well for their above and beyond efforts--more places should follow their lead!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

Please be SO careful with the blizzards. They often use the same spoons for all the mix-ins, there is such a huge risk for CC and a lot of the times the candy mix-ins are all in open containers. I would hate for a twix to get into the M&M's..... Not to mention if the machine isn't cleaned thoroughly between each blizzard. If you have a Cold Stone Creamery, try them. They will dig 'clean' ice cream from a new bucket, get mix-ins from a new box and mix for you on a clean stone. They are always super accomodating and I always tip well for their above and beyond efforts--more places should follow their lead!

Likewise for our local Maggie Moo's. They've been wonderful!!!
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#18 GRUMP 1

GRUMP 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Ok I am wondering, has any one tried the tacos from D.Q.? When we were down south in Oklahoma and Texas a few years ago they were serving tacos. They are just the best, to bad we cant get them up here. But we are going to be making a trip to Arkansas in October to see the kids. I would love to have some D.Q. tacos. So can any one any one tell me are they safe?

Thank you,
Grump
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!

#19 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

Another thing to watch out for at DQ is the chopped pecan topping. I have had several sundays without the pecans and I don't get sick but every time I ask for the pecans on top I do get sick. There is what I thought was pecan crumbs along with the chopped pecans but I don't think they are pecan crumbs after all since I do get sick each time. I have eaten lots of other things with pecans and it doesn't effect me.
Don't ya just love DQ!!! :P
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#20 Rabbit280

Rabbit280

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thank you so much for that information! :lol:

I do have a cold stone near me; I will go there and see what they can do for me. Ice cream is something we should still be able to enjoy!

I have never had DQ tacos. They don't have them in Colorado, so I don't know if they are safe or not.

#21 linuxprincess

linuxprincess

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

Ok I am wondering, has any one tried the tacos from D.Q.? When we were down south in Oklahoma and Texas a few years ago they were serving tacos. They are just the best, to bad we cant get them up here. But we are going to be making a trip to Arkansas in October to see the kids. I would love to have some D.Q. tacos. So can any one any one tell me are they safe?

Thank you,
Grump

I would assume the tacos would be safe assuming they are using corn. You could always ask to see the box they come in if you want, too. One thing I do want to point out is that gluten is transmitted easily in liquids, and if they use the same oil to fry the shell for the taco and the breaded chicken strips you might get some CC action that would be unwelcome on a trip. Then again, if you're not that sensitive to gluten then I would worry about it. If you don't know, this might be the time to find out and enjoy those tacos once again!
-Patricia

Celiac & Duhring Disease

#22 mommy2two99

mommy2two99

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

I, too, would suggest Cold Stone. They always go the extra mile for me.

I definitely agree about the CC issues at DQ. I think that I would be sure to have them clean the mixing machines before making your blizzard.

Good luck!
Amy

gluten-free since June 2007

#23 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

This is really old, but I found it via a search and wanted to provide personal experience for others who might find it.
I've been gluten-free for only about a month, and I don't have a definitive diagnosis (trial diet) but I went to DQ yesterday and wanted a blizzard desperately- got a mint blizzard with chocolate chips. I asked them to clean the machine which they did and were very accommodating. However, for the rest of the day I was very dizzy, emotional, spaced out. Just generally severe brain fog. I've never been glutened before so I can't absolutely say, "yes, I got glutened at DQ"- but it seems a bit likely. Note also that I seem to react poorly to THB/THBQ so it might have been that.
That said, I got a caramel/pecan sundae there a few weeks ago and there was no problem. I think the blizzards are just bad news, unfortunately.
Cold stone is amazing. I'm going to try making my own ice cream...
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

#24 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

I like DQ. I usually get a plain cup of "Swirl". Just my favorite. Anything mixed might be an issue because they do mix cookies in the Blizzard. Not sure what is in the mint flavor. It is usually served with oreos?

Allergy info:

http://www.dairyquee...utrition-facts/

Added: looks like they include malt in the wheat category (probably should be called gluten not wheat)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#25 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

I like DQ. I usually get a plain cup of "Swirl". Just my favorite. Anything mixed might be an issue because they do mix cookies in the Blizzard. Not sure what is in the mint flavor. It is usually served with oreos?

Allergy info:

http://www.dairyquee...utrition-facts/

Added: looks like they include malt in the wheat category (probably should be called gluten not wheat)

Well, it did say somewhere that the mint blizzards are ok as long as you don't have cookies.
Honestly, I knew it was a risk when I did it. For me food cravings have not really been a problem doing gluten free but for whatever reason I wanted that blizzard more than anything.
Yesterday was my birthday and I asked for an ice cream maker attachment for my mixer. I'm hoping soon I will be able to make my own blizzards!!

#26 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

Well, it did say somewhere that the mint blizzards are ok as long as you don't have cookies.
Honestly, I knew it was a risk when I did it. For me food cravings have not really been a problem doing gluten free but for whatever reason I wanted that blizzard more than anything.
Yesterday was my birthday and I asked for an ice cream maker attachment for my mixer. I'm hoping soon I will be able to make my own blizzards!!

You can make a blizzard with a blender. My kids like to get (actually, have me buy at the grocery) chocolate ice cream. They smash up Butterfingers or add PB and blend it up. A smidge of milk to make it blend better. You could add some peppermint oil for mint. Maybe crushed peppermints. Yum!

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

#27 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

You can make a blizzard with a blender. My kids like to get (actually, have me buy at the grocery) chocolate ice cream. They smash up Butterfingers or add PB and blend it up. A smidge of milk to make it blend better. You could add some peppermint oil for mint. Maybe crushed peppermints. Yum!

I don't have a blender, my lame-o ex-roommate stole it. <_< He left the kitchen table (which was his) though so... fair trade?
I'm thinking of getting a good food processor though. I asked for one for my last birthday and received one of those magic bullets which is tiny and seems rather ineffective.

I'm excited about the ice cream maker because all the store bought ice creams are full of bizarre artificial ingredients and even the organic, "natural" brands have tons of extraneous ingredients. Ice cream is so simple: cream, eggs, sugar... how do they mess that up!?

#28 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have my own ice cream maker and the biggest problem is it tastes so awesome I eat way, way too much. My family has no idea how much it actually makes.

#29 tea_and_crumpets

tea_and_crumpets

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

I occasionally get hot fudge sundaes at DQ and I have to reluctantly admit that they are making me sick. I'm not full-on glutened but I do get anxiety issues after eating there. DQ is a special treat and I make 95% of the rest of my food from scratch, so I know that the sundae is causing the problem. I'm wondering if my local DQ does the straining thing.

#30 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:59 AM

I occasionally get hot fudge sundaes at DQ and I have to reluctantly admit that they are making me sick. I'm not full-on glutened but I do get anxiety issues after eating there. DQ is a special treat and I make 95% of the rest of my food from scratch, so I know that the sundae is causing the problem. I'm wondering if my local DQ does the straining thing.

What do you mean by "straining thing"?

I think the main problem with DQ is when they get busy - like summer evenings. They are usually staffed by kids who hurry & may slop or use a spoon from one thing to the next. The liquid ice cream is poured into a machine from a package. The machine only has the ice cream in it. The liquid toppings seem to be in pump machines (at least at mine). I think the problem could come from random crumbs getting on the bowl or into the spooned toppings like nuts.

I have notice one of our DQs is always cleaner or neater than the other. This is the one where one of the owners is always there.

LTES

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: