#31 tea_and_crumpets

tea_and_crumpets

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:16 AM

What do you mean by "straining thing"?

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned a non-standard practice of dumping the ice cream from bad cones into a bowl in the fridge and straining out the cone pieces before putting it back in the soft-serve machine.

I could have been clearer, but I've got fuzzy gluten brain and it made sense at the time. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned a non-standard practice of dumping the ice cream from bad cones into a bowl in the fridge and straining out the cone pieces before putting it back in the soft-serve machine.

I could have been clearer, but I've got fuzzy gluten brain and it made sense at the time. :blink:

I didn't see that. I didn't read the really old stuff on this thread. I have had family memebers work at DQs over the years. I don't think you can dump the ice cream back in. It would be a real pain in the behind to do. Plus, it would be against Health Department code to put "used" ice cream back. Suppose it could happen but not likely. I have seen them throw sloppy ice cream cones out.

If you want to know for sure, ask a kid that works there when the manager isn't listening. I'm sure we must know someone who works there. I'll ask my kids. I remember when my BIL worked there, they all ate the practice ice cream.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#33 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

How can they list certain blizzard toppings as "gluten-free" if they are mixed in with all the ones that aren't?! That's insane! I was all excited until I read the part about them being used by the same machine - never mind. I won't risk it. A cool, minty treat is not worth the pain and suffering after.

However, I'm going to check around my neighbourhood to see if there is a cold stone creamery...sounds interesting...

#34 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

I didn't see that. I didn't read the really old stuff on this thread. I have had family memebers work at DQs over the years. I don't think you can dump the ice cream back in. It would be a real pain in the behind to do. Plus, it would be against Health Department code to put "used" ice cream back. Suppose it could happen but not likely. I have seen them throw sloppy ice cream cones out.

If you want to know for sure, ask a kid that works there when the manager isn't listening. I'm sure we must know someone who works there. I'll ask my kids. I remember when my BIL worked there, they all ate the practice ice cream.

Karen, did you go back and read the "old" part of the thread? Believe me when I say that I use to do just that when I worked at DQ in highschool. and believe me when I say, the manager there was a real stingy sonofa...gun. I really don't think most DQ's did/do that but I know my daughter won't be eating any soft serve from the DQ in my home town because that same manager/owner is still there.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#35 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

How can they list certain blizzard toppings as "gluten-free" if they are mixed in with all the ones that aren't?! That's insane! I was all excited until I read the part about them being used by the same machine - never mind. I won't risk it. A cool, minty treat is not worth the pain and suffering after.

However, I'm going to check around my neighbourhood to see if there is a cold stone creamery...sounds interesting...

The Coldstone by my house is awesome! They get out a separate container to mix my ice cream in with clean spatulas without me asking for them too! It's great :)

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#36 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

I asked some kids that work at one. They aren't allowed to practice on a cone & waste it as well as the practice ice cream. They practice on a lid, then throw the ice cream out. I know if the Health Dept caught them putting ice cream back in the machine, they would be shut down and it would be published in our local paper.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#37 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

I asked some kids that work at one. They aren't allowed to practice on a cone & waste it as well as the practice ice cream. They practice on a lid, then throw the ice cream out. I know if the Health Dept caught them putting ice cream back in the machine, they would be shut down and it would be published in our local paper.

I agree about reusing the ice cream being a health code violation. I figure that the ice cream machines have changed in the last decade. I know that at the DQ in my town the ice cream liquid comes in sealed prepackaged containers like the syrup for fountain soda. It would be almost impossible to put it back. I know that it comes in a sealed package because I watched them change it while I was there.

#38 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

Due to this thread I decided to check out our local Dairy Queen. I lucked out and the kid behind the counter new all the gluten free items because his mom is gluten free. When he mentioned the Blizzards I asked about the cross contamination issue. He pointed to a separate blizzard mixer on a side counter and said they used a dedicated mixer. Kudos to them! I was chicken and got the Dilly Bars but next time will try a sundae.

Michelle

#39 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Our DQ has absolutely no clue what gluten even is so there is a reason for my paranoia! <_< I would not trust a single thing that came out of that building. :angry:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: