Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How To Get Through A Celiac Attack?

6 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I went out for lunch to a local Mexican restaurant and had a veggie hard-shell taco, plus chips and salsa. The people working behind the counter assured me they were all made from corn. Well, they lied.

All yesterday evening, I was bloated and tired and then, around 1am, I woke up with stabbing stomach pains and proceeded to spend the next 4 hours in the bathroom with severe diarrhea. I am a bit better today, but still bloated and nauseous.

Aside from drinking a LOT of water, is there anything I can do to get through this? How long am I going to feel awful like this? Should I be calling my doctor or going to the ER? This is my FIRST accidental gluten ingestion since my diagnosis last September.

Thanks for the support.

Ads by Google:

There is nothing you can do to get over it but ride it out. As someone who works in an ER, do not go to the ER and you do not need to call your Dr. There is nothing they can do to help. Depending on the person it can take days to a week for that glutened feeling to leave. Everyone gets glutened at some point and soon you will learn where you can eat and where you can't. I know the people at a restaurant try to help and may think they know what is in the products, but this is usually not the case. Most don't even know what gluten is. I asked once if there was gluten in a salad dressing and the gut said yes there is sugar in it. You can always ask to see the ingredients as they will have boxes and packaging avalible in the back. Hope this helps. Feel better :)

There is nothing you can do to get over it but ride it out. As someone who works in an ER, do not go to the ER and you do not need to call your Dr. There is nothing they can do to help. Depending on the person it can take days to a week for that glutened feeling to leave. Everyone gets glutened at some point and soon you will learn where you can eat and where you can't. I know the people at a restaurant try to help and may think they know what is in the products, but this is usually not the case. Most don't even know what gluten is. I asked once if there was gluten in a salad dressing and the gut said yes there is sugar in it. You can always ask to see the ingredients as they will have boxes and packaging avalible in the back. Hope this helps. Feel better :)

I also wanted to point out they may not have lied about them being made from corn...there may have been a cross contamination issue! I can't eat the corn tortilla chips at our local mexican restuarant due to CC!

The fried corn tortillas at any mexican restaurant are always suspect because they probably fry the wheat tortillas in the same vat.

My tried-and-true remedy is lots of hot mint tea (spearmint and/or peppermint). Something in the mint helps the stomach (medival remedy) and the hot is soothing and the fluid helps if you are loosing water. I use trader joe's mint medley tea but Celestial Seasonings' peppermint and MintMajic are also good and all gluten free.

~Laura

I know no-one's replied to this topic in a while, but I thought I'd share; I haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease because my (now fired) doctor did the exams on a gluten-free diet, claiming that it wouldn't change the results! :blink: and as I have such a severe reaction to small amounts of gluten (my skin used to blister just from touching it), and I've been so ill all the time, even on the gluten-free diet, and a whole host of doctors (I've gone through quite a few!) insisted that it was Chron's, atrophic gastritis or just generally nasty stuff with no tests to back them up, and I felt absaloutly hopeless. I'm 19 and I've been so ill I had to drop out of collage and was on morphine for 2 months, and then I discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and I've been on it 2 months, and my god the difference! I can touch gluten and nothing happens, I've been able to go back to school, I've been off morphine for almost 3 weeks (I accidentally glutened), but the reaction was so much better! I haven't lost my memory, I haven't thrown everything up, I can walk and there was no blood in my stools!

I reccomend the SCD to everyone now, I've had so many doctors tell me they can do nothing further and that they're so sorry, but with this diet, it's all going away, and my Mum's sleeping again :D

Good look to everyone!

Kelly

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Test Results
      Update: I am about at my wit's end. I won't be able to see my new doctor until July 17 to get a referral to a GI doctor, so I continue to eat gluten and the effects continue to worsen. Today my boss, whom I have been working with for 12 years, and I had a meeting where he said he's noticed a change in many things, such as speech, not articulating well, forgetfulness, and other things that are affecting my work product. I finally told him I know there is something wrong with me medically and I've been trying to get to the doctor to no avail. I recall those four weeks early in the year when I tried out gluten free and was beginning to feel much better- more present, more sharp, and then went back on gluten in preparation for the blood test.  I just don't think I can do this gluten thing any longer and am thinking of going cold-turkey gluten free.  I'm 54 years old, am beginning not to care about a diagnosis because I just want to feel better and be able to do what I need to do. Because of how I felt going off of gluten earlier in the year, and eating gluten free when I was on the McDougall plan years ago, and how I feel while doing this gluten challenge, I am pretty convinced that my issue is gluten.  Any words of encouragement would be welcome.  If you've done gluten free and never looked back, tell me about it. 
    • Gardasil
      "I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil Thank you I have a young daughter and have wondered this exact question posed by the poster and your response has given me great pause about this issue which may come up in years to come. I am sorry to hear this wreak havoc on your life, but simultaneously thank you for sharing this detail to help those of us that have likely been decades misdiagnosed celiacs now raising children. Thank you.
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      "Wondering what kind of life my brother could have had - if  he had celiac - constantly haunts me" My sympathies that is just tragic, as this story is.  I hope you are at peace knowing you are aware of your celiac and help so many lost, scared, and confused celiacs here. It can never bring back your brother but I hope it can give soften some of what you feel that was/is beyond your control. His suffering and your loss has made you a better advocate to yourself and in your work helping us. I don't like my body or my  brain on gluten either. I do fear that people overlook the toll inflammation takes on the brain. It likely may explain decades of mental illness that was brain based inflammation unknown until changes in technology advancement catch up. However consuming gluten to study how one enters psychosis may not be the best method. Do no harm.  
    • Gardasil
      I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil
    • Gardasil And Celiac
      I have this same issue! I got gardasil in 2009 and have never been the same since. Celiac disease, thyroid problems. I used to be healthy and active and since I got that shot I have never been the same.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    py21w23