This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Correllation Between Celiac And Acne

waterfaul

waterfaul Newbie

Good evening everyone,

I'm VERY new to the Celiac world; I've been diagnosed at 26 years old and that was in February 2008. I'm still learning and very much so DENYING this disease. I've had a very hard time adjusting to it, and because of stress and anxiety I'm not sure if that is what is causing my acne, or if it may have something to do with Celiac. My family members have been tested and they all came back negative; my gastreologist/doctor has told me that I got Celiac from extreme stress. I've never had acne issues until this past year, and I wasn't sure if Celiac, or products with gluten, can have that effect on one.

Please help! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ken70 Apprentice
Good evening everyone,

I'm VERY new to the Celiac world; I've been diagnosed at 26 years old and that was in February 2008. I'm still learning and very much so DENYING this disease. I've had a very hard time adjusting to it, and because of stress and anxiety I'm not sure if that is what is causing my acne, or if it may have something to do with Celiac. My family members have been tested and they all came back negative; my gastreologist/doctor has told me that I got Celiac from extreme stress. I've never had acne issues until this past year, and I wasn't sure if Celiac, or products with gluten, can have that effect on one.

some would argue that acne is one of many signs that your body is detoxing. I'll bet you that both your stress and anxiety as well as your acne go away with a gluten free diet. It make take more than that but start there.

Open Original Shared Link

This link discusses toxicity but doesn't mention gluten. Consider though that your body believes gluten to be a foreign invader and treats it that way.

trcn Apprentice
Good evening everyone,

Yes, it can be from gluten. Within 24 hrs of going gluten free my skin started drastic changes for the better! For me, acne seemed to be an an inflammatory response to gluten. Makes sense. My hair also changed. Now my face is clear and smooth again. I am 38 and female. There's no joke in having wrinkles AND pimples.

Hang in there and read all u can on this site. I bet your face clears when u go fully gluten free.

Tracy

curlyfries Contributor

I've had problems with acne to one degree or another all my adult life. Staying away from caffeine keeps the cystic acne away. I am 49 and still have oily skin (but practically no wrinkles :P ) When I went gluten free my face started clearing up, then it got worse again. That was about the time I realized I needed to stay away from dairy. I could look in the mirror after consuming dairy and see beads of oil coming out of the pores on my nose :blink: ! Now my skin is improving again and I believe it even feels softer.

Lisa

MELINE Enthusiast

hello

it was the extreme acne on my face that made me go to a dermatologist. She told me to go have a test and see if I was lactose intolerant. Well I was lactose intollerant and I also found out I was a celiac. From the minute I stopped dairy/casein (and of course gluten) my face is great again. Whenever I eat (by accident) lactose, next morning something shows up on my face......

Any way, I am trying to say that there is a connection cause most of the people who have celiac are also lactose intolerant, and as my drematologist said "lactose can make your face look like pizza...."

try to find out other intolerances, ok??

meline

mysecretcurse Contributor

Yes.

I've determined through a LOT of self testing that the acne like lesions on my face are definitely triggered by gluten. I think they might even be some weird form of DH, as often times I get them at my temples and around my mouth in an almost PERFECTLY mirrored pattern (one an inch from my mouth and a little down on the left side, the other an inch from my mouth and a little up on the right). Ive read that Dh mirrors, and I know gluten reactions can present themselves differently in anyone.

Ive spent like 8 years battling acne with every supplement, lifestyle change, cream, medicine, dermatologist imaginable. I always felt I knew my acne wasn't from "bacteria" on my skin. Bacteria that makes a mirrored pattern on my skin??? No way...it just doesnt fit. Also, I get very deep, itching, PAINFUL lesions that can last for weeks. Ive had the typical normal "zit" before too and its something different than these lesions which are the majority of my acne.

Ive also spent many years with "chronic gingivitis". My gums bleed and hurt and are soft, dark red and spongy and weak no matter what. I get cleanings, I floss, I rinse with sea salt, etc. Only helps mildly. It got so bad before than an infection occured which could have killed me and left me in bed for weeks unable to eat.

I always wondered if the gum problem and acne problem was related because occasionally Id get a big sore on my face directly above the place where I had a sore on my gums underneath! This definitely seemed like not normal acne to me...

Well since working on being gluten free (Id say I'm almost 99.9% right now, I've been pretty careful for awhile but I got glutened last week), my gum problem has cleared up about 80%. This is HUGE and definitely means gluten is causing it. My acne is not as bad as it was either, but I still am having some Dh stuff due to getting glutened so bad last week so I will be able to tell better after a month or so of being super careful.

Gluten damages every part of your body. I absolutely KNOW it can cause acne.

trcn Apprentice

The gum bleeding is a connection, too.

I always regarded my acne as an "autoimmune acne" b/c it would be bilateral (mirrored, as you describe it) in nature. As I progress with my gluten free diet, and I get glutened (from a glass of wine last weekend?), my symptoms become more pronounced:

1) scalp itching and hair loss for days

2) facial itching and bilateral "acne" lesions (these are getting to be small, hard pimples with nothing in them)

2) arm itching

I can't find evidence that this is DH, but it is definitely dermatological in nature. I get no GI symptoms and my bloodwork came back negative for Celiac Disease. But I definitely have a sensitivity to gluten. I did have anti gliadin antibodies on a saliva test.

Ok, good luck to you and please keep this thread going with any new info. I want my skin and hair back!!!

;o)

Tracy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Talia
The gum bleeding is a connection, too.

I always regarded my acne as an "autoimmune acne" b/c it would be bilateral (mirrored, as you describe it) in nature. As I progress with my gluten free diet, and I get glutened (from a glass of wine last weekend?), my symptoms become more pronounced:

1) scalp itching and hair loss for days

2) facial itching and bilateral "acne" lesions (these are getting to be small, hard pimples with nothing in them)

2) arm itching

I can't find evidence that this is DH, but it is definitely dermatological in nature. I get no GI symptoms and my bloodwork came back negative for Celiac Disease. But I definitely have a sensitivity to gluten. I did have anti gliadin antibodies on a saliva test.

Ok, good luck to you and please keep this thread going with any new info. I want my skin and hair back!!!

;o)

Tracy

Hi , I have been sick my whole life.

call the disease whatever you want,

but I know my peridontal disease, psoriosis, and fibryo, IBs, are all related to the gluten i put in my body.

I was way too young, like in my 30s to have the type of gum disease I had. the stuff on my skin was probably not psoriosi but that DH stuff. I am still working on clearing that up... however stick with the gluten free diet , it will change your life. Listen to the people on this site... they have way more information than the general medical community seems to have. good luck

• 2 weeks later...
mysecretcurse Contributor

You guys are almost making me cry right now (Im emo today, ugh)

Just..its just actually hearing that someone else out there has gone through this (not that Id wish this on anyone)

makes me feel so much less alone.

Im so glad we are finally finding some relief and answers.

I forgot if I mentioned, I also have had on again off again psoriasis which appears all over my body but most commonly on my hands when glutened.

CtheCeliac Rookie

When I go through phases without logging on to this forum, it seems I slip here and there and am not as diligent as I need to be about my diet, nor am I as inspired in the positive (life-saving) changes I've experienced from the needed diet change. The first six weeks on the diet were incredible----I gained 10 pounds, and my skin cleared up. I no longer had extremely dry skin. I had so many symptoms I'd simply learned to live with.

trcn Apprentice
Hi , I have been sick my whole life.

call the disease whatever you want,

but I know my peridontal disease, psoriosis, and fibryo, IBs, are all related to the gluten i put in my body.

I was way too young, like in my 30s to have the type of gum disease I had. the stuff on my skin was probably not psoriosi but that DH stuff. I am still working on clearing that up... however stick with the gluten free diet , it will change your life. Listen to the people on this site... they have way more information than the general medical community seems to have. good luck

Thank you. I am 'hanging', for sure. I just got my test kit from Enterolab for gluten, dairy, soy, casein, yeast, and genetic test. I am thrilled to dig deeper for answers. I think dairy is getting me now. Darn! Yeast has gotten much better. I've been taking coconut oil (3 tsp per day) and have been gluten free for 3 months (about). I think the combo is helping. Cutting out sugar would really help, but I just don't have the strength right now... It's the one food item that brings pleasure in all this madness.

Take care and stay tuned....

Tracy

tipnpat Newbie

It is so interesting to read that other people have the same responses I do to being "glutened." My husband thinks I'm looking too hard for reactions but it's just so clear. I had acne on my face, chest, and back before going gluten free. I thought it was hormonal changes as I start to leave childbearing behind. But, the acne cleared, the little patches of eczema on my skin cleared, my hear started to grow back and my neck stobbed hurting. I've been gluten free for 8 months now and my reactions to gluten are getting so "fine-tuned," so to speak. It's very interesting to have a gluten meter in your body. My husband calls it "glute-dar" instead of "radar." I always know when I've eaten something by accident. Within 3-4 hours my neck begins to ache gradually increasing to the type of pain that would really respons better to narcotics though I don't take any. Sometimes a migraine in my right eye ensues sometimes not. The crown of my head starts to itch on both sides. I wake up with a pimple the next morning and acne on my chest and then I'm blue for the rest of the week.

Being new to gluten-free is hard. I remember at times thinking to myself, "This is impossible." We're so trained to eat bread in every shape and form, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But once you get it down and you have gluten again whether on purpose or by accident, you'll start to "want" to leave it out of your diet. If you can leave the sugar behind you'll feel even better. Gradually you'll start to feel clean and lean and strong. I feel my best when I simply eat meat, vegetables, and fruit. I make bread for my children but I don't even want it. If I absolutely have to have a sweet I'll get some Dagoba dark chocolate. I think all the flavors are gluten free and a lot of them are also casein free and low in sugar if any. Sometimes I splurge on a Coke but when I do it just makes me crave more sugar so I try to resist. I truly believe we have a "sugar button," and once it's pressed it's hard to turn it off.

This forum is a great place for information!

• 6 years later...
postepay Newbie

Hello,

new to this community. I suffered from cronical acne from around 20 years. I have discovered this theory that acne is related probably with gluten. It is hard to believe to me but after having trying anything and don't have achieve any result I may open my mind.

Even more it is easy for me to suffer diharrea and I have never overcome the 75 kg of weight. I can not simply get muscles no matter what I do but my diet is normal.

Archived