This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nausea

mela14

mela14 Enthusiast

I definately feel worse after I eat something that my body can't tolerate! I get the whole body thing going on...migraine, muscle pain, fatigue, light headed, and of course the horrible sour and painfully bloated tummy!!

I just stopped at Whole Foods and found a Ginger-Peppermint tea. I'm having now! Let' see how it works for me. Doesn't taste that bad either....I think I like it. it's got a little kick to it. maybe it will quite down my aching tummy.

have a great night.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mela14 Enthusiast

Hi Kenda,

I just read your post about your Actonel experience! Boy....maybe it IS the Actonel. I thought I was doing better with the muscle pain and then it started to get worse last week. Just around the same time I started Actonel. I took my first dose about 10 days ago and my second does this past monday. Yesterday the body pain really started to get bad and this morning I could barely drag myself out of bed. Today I actually had to take the day off and stay home. I feel so "fluish". My gut started to really feel bad this week. When I took the Acotnel on monday I was already having stomach problems so when the pain continued I didn't think it was because of the Acotnel. Was your stomach pain immediately after taking the pill or did it take a little while? Yesterday was terrible with stomach pain and this morning I actually woke with a sore stomach! I've been drinking camomille tea as I thought the ginger may have been too harsh. Not sure what to think anymore?

how long did it take for you to feel muscle pain? Was it muscle soreness or was it more. I feel like I have a bug?

Thanks for shedding some light.

dizzy Rookie

Hi mel, i was just reading over these posts, and I have a lot of the symptoms, especially the rapid heart beat. I dont know why that happens, but I have been figuring out that I get dizzy every day, the rapid heart beat, upset stomach, all of it. I am also desperite. I am so tired of being sick. I want to try the enzymes as well, but, does anyone have any specific help for the dizziness? I just hate having to deal with it, and miss out on life...

mela14 Enthusiast

I'm not sure why you are getting dizzy> Are you lightheaded? Maybe you are not eating enough or maybe your blood sugar gets low?

Foe me the rapid heart rate only starts after I eat something that has an ingredient that my body can't handle. It's sort of like an allergic reaction...I start feeling sick, weak,heart races, stomach, head and muscles ache.

I don't feel dizzy on a normal day. i get these symtpms when I ingest gluten or something else that i shouldn't have. It also happens if i eat soemthing with a lot of preservatives.

I just started taking enzymes and don't have a lot of feedback for you other than I felt a lot of noises and gurgling and things moving around. i also had a lot of gas. In a way that's good at least it got out!

I hope you feel better. Keep looking for answers and working with your body to feel the best that you can! I am still doing that and have a lot of challenges as well.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Mel:

I know what you are saying, it seems this disease goes on and on. I take Bently at night and that seems to ease my stomach a little bit.

One interesting thing happened, I was put on steroids for another reason and for the first time in 2 years my stomach was calm.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I had read before that with refractory sprue a person would take the steroids. I don't know if I have that or even how I would be tested for it. I remember the doctor was going to put me on steroids 2 years ago but I was afraid they were like the ones sports players use.

Interesting theory so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

cristalball Newbie

Have you considered the chicken as the problem?

Here in the UK wheat is often used to plump up chickens - don't know if this is also the case in US.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Mel:

I know what you are saying, it seems this disease goes on and on. I take Bently at night and that seems to ease my stomach a little bit.

One interesting thing happened, I was put on steroids for another reason and for the first time in 2 years my stomach was calm.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I had read before that with refractory sprue a person would take the steroids. I don't know if I have that or even how I would be tested for it. I remember the doctor was going to put me on steroids 2 years ago but I was afraid they were like the ones sports players use.

Interesting theory so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

The steroids doctors use are corticosteroids - not anabolic (like athletes have been known to use) - and are fairly common, though not to be treated lightly. I've had to take them a number of times for asthma, in 10 day bursts. (That's long enough to turn me quite b%$@#y, but that's not a side effect that everyone has.) I believe steroids are sometimes used to treat Cronh's (though I'm not sure about that)...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Even if wheat is indeed used to "plump" up chickens, it does not carry through to the meat. This is not a concern.

richard

cdford Contributor

Oh, dear Mel. I do understand. Here is what I do when I have your trouble.

For at least 24 hours, stay on a clear liquid diet. You may have to make it longer according to how badly your gut is irritated. You will know if you move up too quickly. Gradually add in a little rice that you have fixed yourself and know for certain is gluten-free. You might also try some potato soup if you do not react to dairy or some potatoes boiled in gluten-free broth if you do react to dairy. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND EASY TO DIGEST FOR SEVERAL DAYS. Gradually move up the diet list. If you have a problem, drop down a level. I know this seems as though it will take forever, but you have to allow your belly time to heal up. It will be shorter in the long run.

About that chicken...be sure that it is not enhanced with any broths or anything. It should say on the package. Many of the chicken out there and even some of the beefs and porks have fluids added to enhance flavors (though I am privately convinced that it is more because water weighs more than meat and it increases the price).

Hope you and others can use this info and get to feeling better.

sfortney Newbie
Try taking some enzymes. Enzymes help your body to absorb the food and help with digestion. Enzymatic Therapy has brands that say right on the bottle what they are free of. Probiotics are good too.

Do these also help with the distention or bloating? This is a major problem with me along with the nausea.

kdskaggs Newbie

If the cause of your distension and bloating is a sluggish digestive system they will help.

Kenda

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes it will help with bloating and other things that have to do with your digestive system. If your digestive system is causing these symptoms enzymes will help. Probiotics will as well. :D

sfortney Newbie

That is definitely good news!!

tredart Newbie

Very interesting. I am always nauseus, and I figured it was just my "delicate constitution." (lol) I agree that enzymes definately help, and so does Lactaid. I've cut way back on the dairy, but if I'm starving and that's what is available, I chew a lactaid and that helps. I've used the Peppermint drops when I've had bowel cramping. Actually, the enteric coated peppermint pills work even better, at least for me. But you're right, no matter how careful I am, no matter what I eat or do not eat, I am often nauseaus. It is very frustrating. And the funny thing is, chicken is a big trigger. I wonder what it is about poultry. I am very careful not to buy one that is basted or has fillers but it still will make me feel icky. I've been reading about other types of food allergies, and some people are allergic to poultry and eggs. It makes me wonder what other things are triggers for me.

cristalball Newbie
Hi Richard

You said 'Even if wheat is indeed used to "plump" up chickens, it does not carry through to the meat. This is not a concern'

My intention was not to imply that the meat could be affected by being grain fed, but rather that poultry sold in supermarkets can be 'plumped' up with hydrolised wheat protein - its always best to read labels to check for these additives.

mela14 Enthusiast

OK guys, i just got back from the weekend and read a lot of your responses. I went to see a new GI dr this weekend in NJ where I will be moving back to in about 3 weeks. He seemed very compassionate and was not dismissive at all. I guess it was also good to have my husband with me. I seem to get a different reaction from doctors when I have him with me.

I discussed my blood results and attempt at gluten-free diet for the past 2-3 months. He told me that if I was feeling better to stick with it and that when I moved there next month he wanted to meet with me again. He also said that we may want to do a biopsy and that even though I would be gluten-free for about 3 months the fact that I am still reacting and having problems could mean that I am still ingesting gluten accidentally and the biopsy may show some damage. Especially if this has been going on for a long time. It said that it could take up to a year to heal and see some signficant results. He also gave me Zelnorm for the IBS but told me to cut it in half and try to go to using it once a day instead of twice. He didn't want to put me anything else as he feels that people that have celiac disease are more sensitive to meds.

WE talked about fibro, chronic fatigue and all the wonderful things related to auto immune problems. of course he encouraged getting out...which I do every day but he wants to see more exercising....which I will try to do.

I think he is right about gluten sneaking in there........I get it occassionaly with foods when I eat out and with meds that I take. Today I took half a percocet because I threw my back out and my gut is sooooooooo irritated and bloated. Here we go again. I just can't seem to get it together and then I get so angry with myself.

I have another appt with him next month and we'll discuss how I am progressing.

I asked him about my endoscopy from 6 years ago and he said if the dr was not looing for celiac disease he could have missed the diagnosis. He may not have gone down far enough for a biopsy. I also told him that my GI dr at the time never even mentioned gluten...so I don't htink he was looking.

Thanks for all the support......gotta go now. Not sure which is worse.....the lower back pain or the sowllen irritated gut!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Mel-That's good that you found a doctor that is listening to you and not being dismissive of things. I think it is true about your husband coming along and a better response. Before I was diagnosed I had to go to the GI doctor and they couldn't take me for 3 months(when my mom called) when my dad called and told them I really needed to get in I was in there 2 days later!! They take it more seriously I think I'm not sure. I hope everything goes well and that you feel better than you are now :D

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hi Mel:

I was reviewing my gluten free drug list and I don't see percocet on there? I see vicodin Lortab, demorel, fioricet and codeine. I am not sure about any other pain meds.

I hope this helps!

Sally

cdford Contributor

Since I try to use as many generic medications as possible due to the cost difference, I have found the at only way to be certain is to contact the individual manufacturer. Some of the same drugs made by different companies are gluten-free/not gluten-free according to the manufacuring process. I keep a separate tab in my notebook to track the ones I have called. When I went gluten-free, I found that I just could not get it under control. Turns out one of my primary neurological meds was laced with gluten and was just contributing to the problem.

mela14 Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I checked percocet and didn't see it either on the gluten free drug list. So I'm thinking that it probably DID have it in there. I started a new post somewhere to see if anyone knew if it was gluten-free or not.

The manufacturer lists the ingredients and it contains corn starch but then also pregelatinized starch. Not sure what that is....but maybe that's where the gluten is.

I woke with my gut still feeling irritated and sore... so someting upset it. OK....time for a little camomille.

Archived