44 replies to this topic

#16 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

I'm yet another peppermint "Altoid Junkie" and have a can of them everywhere. (Thank goodness Costco sells them in the multi pack.) I can't however, take peppermint caps or tea....creates GERD like crazy in me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned ginger for nausea. It is an herb people take for any motion sickness and as an alt. to prescription anti-nausea pills. You can try the tea or caps or candied ginger, or whatever. I personally am not wild about the taste (except in gingerbread..LOL) so I use the caps.......daily!!! About the time I start forgetting them I wonder why the nausea comes back and then I realize I haven't been taking the ginger caps daily like I should. Ginger also helps with digestion...........

...and for bloating and gas after a large meal, nothing works like a really strong cup of fennel tea. I hate the taste of fennel tea, but dogonit, it works so I always have some good quality loose organic fennel on hand to make a quick brew when I need it.

Kandee

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:49 AM

Your right kactuskandee ginger is very good for nausea. I have ginger tea alot that tastes soooo good and does help calm the stomach.

There are oils you can get to smell like peppermint etc. Fennel is one of them so if you hate the taste of it maybe smelling it would help and you wouldn't have to taste it. But whatever works is good :D If it works stick with it.

Altoids and enzymes work 4 me and I know I don't know what I would do without them.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#18 kdskaggs

kdskaggs

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:40 AM

Hi Mel,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time of it. My daughter has celiac disease ad I can sympathize with you trying to figure out what is going on.

Two things come to my mind. One is that most Chinese restaurants use MSG. MSG affects people differently but is a common allergen. My kids and I all get sick if we eat foods poisoned with MSG. Another thought is that you might be better off eating a more bland diet for now. Sauteeing something in oil is adding additional fat to your diet which may be tough for you to digest. The spiciness in the Chinese food, even if no MSG or gluten was used, could upset an already upset stomach. I'd stick with baked or grilled foods and prepare them very blandly. Even if something is gluten-free, it may not be easy for your already upset system to handle.

Ginger is excellent for stomach ailments. You can either purchase ginger capsules at the health food store or make a tea out of ginger root -- this is a secret my doctor shared with me. Another person mentioned probiotics, which is a great recommendation. I use HMF Replete, which is an extremely strong probiotic. The L.acidophilus alone is 75 BILLION, much, much higher than store bought probiotics. I purchase mine online and I can share the name of the company with you, if you want. There are different herbs that have anti-inflammatory properties to them that could help with the inflammation in your gut. Since you are already in a inflamed state, it is going to take time for your system to heal.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Kenda
:)

#19 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:54 AM

Kenda, I've never heard of HMF Replete...will have to do a search on it. From what I understand VSL#3 is another fantastic probiotic but pricey. Thanks for mentioning..

I forgot to add I take probiotics and digestive enzymes every day, with at least one, maybe two meals (the biggest ones) a day. Thus I have no pains, nausea, gas or bloating. I switch around my probiotics from Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus DF (dairy free) to BioBeads (by Natrol but not very strong) that I carry with me since they need no refrigeration, to Jarrow. My fav is the homemade kefir I make with rice or almond milk for at home....ohhh is that soothing..I use it in fruit smoothies. I take digestive enzymes always and if I'm going to be eating gassy foods a Beano too, or Lactaid if I cheat and eat dairy. All helps.

I take antispasmodics before I eat out..especially if I eat a little more fat than I planned or just plain to much food.

Vote4PresBush....never heard of the oils you smell. Do you have a link? I think the real benefit comes with getting the fennel into the gut, fast. Like you said, "what ever works".

Chamomile tea is also calming to the tummy, but it seems a bit to mild for me. Nonetheless it is often available in restaurants if there is nothing else. When I'm in Mexico they always have it...as I think it must be popular there.

As to ginger, another thing I love is St. Claire's organic ginger snaps..they come in a little tin like Altoids so you can carry them around with you. Altoids makes both peppermint and ginger types, but I prefer the peppermint. The Altoids, in their ingredients, use gum arabic (acacia) which is a pre-biotic soluble fiber and very soothing to the gut.

Having IBS too has helped me to learn how to eat and what supplements to take to keep a lid on the pain/gas/bloating/nausea/constipation.

Just throwing out what I do, like all the other helpful people here, in case it may help someone else.

Kandee

#20 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:21 AM

kactuskandee...do you have a Whole Foods nearby you? We get them through whole foods. It's aromatherapy oils. We also have a lost we printed out about what aromatherapy oils are good for certain things. I know the peppermint and orange were good for the stomach. I think the fennel is too. We have quite a few of them If you don't have a Whole Foods near you I'm sure I can get you a link of where you can get them :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#21 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

OK that's a lot of info to DIGEST! I haven't been taking any probiotics as I am afraid to take anything at this point. So, would the probiotics help with the inflamation? Not usre how that would work.

I also think I would like to try ginger. Right now I use camomille but feel that it is too mild as someone just mentioned. Peppermint tea seems to be a little stronger but I would like to give the ginger a try. I remember many years ago someone giving me these ginger candies but thinking back now I am sure they were probably full of ingredients that I really didn't need. So...if there a ginger tea that someone could recommend ....that would be great! I also just bought some digestive enzymes that I will try using with my meals. Someone on this board recommended them. I think they are called Essential Enzymes.

Right now the guts is sore and a littel nauseous....but then again I also started Actonel last week and took my second pill yesterday.That could be adding some stomach problems and some muscle problems. Today all my musles are sore and I feel so achy. The Actonel is for the Osteoporosis that I was recently diagnosed with. If this becomes too problematic I may have to try one of the other pills out there....not that I think they would be any better. We'll have to see.
Thanks for all the info.
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#22 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:22 PM

The ginger tea I drink is Celestial Seasonings- Original Indian Spice. It tastes like a ginger cookie it is so good. It is gluten-free and has Cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in it along with other stuff.

Probiotic bacteria favorably alter the intestinal microflora balance, inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria, promote good digestion, boost immune function, and increase resistance to infection. Probiotic bacteria also produce substances called bacteriocins, which act as natural antibiotics to kill undesirable microorganisms.

I always use the Enzymatic Therapy brand mainly because they mark all of their products of what they are free of.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#23 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:40 PM

Thanks Kaitie,

I appreciate all the info. I think that the Celestial Seasonings may be too much for me. sometimes the cinnamon bothers me.....maybe I should just stick sith straight Ginger. I'm going to stop by Whole Foods on the way home and see what they have.

I'll give the probiotics another try. I remember why I got turned off!!....before I knew about the gluten.... I was taking them because I thought I had Candida. I was getting more sick from them and would wake during the night feeling ill and bloated and nausous!...it turns out they were not gluten-free. I think they had maltodextrin....does that sound right?
I am still learning about all the hidden gluten ingredients in so many things. Vitamins were doing the same thing.

In addition, I have an immune deficiency and was receiving monthly immunoglobulin infusions to help me along. This was finally brought to light about a year ago...after getting sooooooooooo sick so often. Anway, Medicare has decided to stop paying for them and I missed my infusion that I was due to have 2 weeks ago. I'm sure that the levels dropping are making me feel more sick and achy. Between the diet and my horrible immune system things get to be too much at times. Also, so many of the symtoms cross over and sometimes you don't know what is from what.

I also think that the IGG, IGA deficiency, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, migraines, allergies and the gluten problem are all related. Something is not working right.. ...
Maybe one day it will all come together. In the meantime....it's just one day at a time. today is not such a good day....but........yesterday was better :)
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#24 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:59 PM

There are probably more mild brands of tea out there that other people on this site drink or have tried. Whatever works good for you definately stick with it though.

Definately give probiotics a try they help with immunity. Do you feel bad all the time? Or do you notice any sort of pattern with the way you feel like after a certain food or anything?

I hope you feel better soon :D

Have a great day!
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#25 kdskaggs

kdskaggs

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

Hi Mel,

I just read that you took Actonel!! Oh my God!! I took it once and only once, it made me sick as a dog with all of the symptoms you describe, stomach upset, muscle aches and pains, it was horrible and took darn near a week to go away. Anyone with gut problems should not take Actonel, at least according to my doc.

I make my own ginger tea using ginger root. At least if you use the root, you don't have to worry about something being in the tea that can upset your stomach. Just cut off about a 1" piece of the root and steep it in hot water for about 5 minutes, or until it tastes the way you want it. You can add lemon to it if you like but I never do I like the taste of ginger just the way it is.

If you want a supplement especially for inflammation of the gut, ask someone at a health food store or see a naturopath in your area. Nearly all of the medical care I receive is herbal and I have had more luck with it than allopathic medicine.

A warning about probiotics, if you are really low they can upset your stomach so you may want to wait until you feel a bit better to start on them.

Best of luck,

Kenda

#26 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:11 PM

I definately feel worse after I eat something that my body can't tolerate! I get the whole body thing going on...migraine, muscle pain, fatigue, light headed, and of course the horrible sour and painfully bloated tummy!!

I just stopped at Whole Foods and found a Ginger-Peppermint tea. I'm having now! Let' see how it works for me. Doesn't taste that bad either....I think I like it. it's got a little kick to it. maybe it will quite down my aching tummy.

have a great night.
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

#27 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:31 AM

Hi Kenda,

I just read your post about your Actonel experience! Boy....maybe it IS the Actonel. I thought I was doing better with the muscle pain and then it started to get worse last week. Just around the same time I started Actonel. I took my first dose about 10 days ago and my second does this past monday. Yesterday the body pain really started to get bad and this morning I could barely drag myself out of bed. Today I actually had to take the day off and stay home. I feel so "fluish". My gut started to really feel bad this week. When I took the Acotnel on monday I was already having stomach problems so when the pain continued I didn't think it was because of the Acotnel. Was your stomach pain immediately after taking the pill or did it take a little while? Yesterday was terrible with stomach pain and this morning I actually woke with a sore stomach! I've been drinking camomille tea as I thought the ginger may have been too harsh. Not sure what to think anymore?
how long did it take for you to feel muscle pain? Was it muscle soreness or was it more. I feel like I have a bug?
Thanks for shedding some light.
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

#28 dizzy

dizzy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

Hi mel, i was just reading over these posts, and I have a lot of the symptoms, especially the rapid heart beat. I dont know why that happens, but I have been figuring out that I get dizzy every day, the rapid heart beat, upset stomach, all of it. I am also desperite. I am so tired of being sick. I want to try the enzymes as well, but, does anyone have any specific help for the dizziness? I just hate having to deal with it, and miss out on life...

#29 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:02 AM

I'm not sure why you are getting dizzy> Are you lightheaded? Maybe you are not eating enough or maybe your blood sugar gets low?
Foe me the rapid heart rate only starts after I eat something that has an ingredient that my body can't handle. It's sort of like an allergic reaction...I start feeling sick, weak,heart races, stomach, head and muscles ache.
I don't feel dizzy on a normal day. i get these symtpms when I ingest gluten or something else that i shouldn't have. It also happens if i eat soemthing with a lot of preservatives.
I just started taking enzymes and don't have a lot of feedback for you other than I felt a lot of noises and gurgling and things moving around. i also had a lot of gas. In a way that's good at least it got out!
I hope you feel better. Keep looking for answers and working with your body to feel the best that you can! I am still doing that and have a lot of challenges as well.
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

#30 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

Mel:

I know what you are saying, it seems this disease goes on and on. I take Bently at night and that seems to ease my stomach a little bit.
One interesting thing happened, I was put on steroids for another reason and for the first time in 2 years my stomach was calm.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I had read before that with refractory sprue a person would take the steroids. I don't know if I have that or even how I would be tested for it. I remember the doctor was going to put me on steroids 2 years ago but I was afraid they were like the ones sports players use.
Interesting theory so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: