44 replies to this topic

#31 cristalball

cristalball

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:45 PM

Have you considered the chicken as the problem?

Here in the UK wheat is often used to plump up chickens - don't know if this is also the case in US.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

Mel:

I know what you are saying, it seems this disease goes on and on. I take Bently at night and that seems to ease my stomach a little bit.
One interesting thing happened, I was put on steroids for another reason and for the first time in 2 years my stomach was calm.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I had read before that with refractory sprue a person would take the steroids. I don't know if I have that or even how I would be tested for it. I remember the doctor was going to put me on steroids 2 years ago but I was afraid they were like the ones sports players use.
Interesting theory so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

The steroids doctors use are corticosteroids - not anabolic (like athletes have been known to use) - and are fairly common, though not to be treated lightly. I've had to take them a number of times for asthma, in 10 day bursts. (That's long enough to turn me quite bitchy, but that's not a side effect that everyone has.) I believe steroids are sometimes used to treat Cronh's (though I'm not sure about that)...
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#33 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

Even if wheat is indeed used to "plump" up chickens, it does not carry through to the meat. This is not a concern.

richard

#34 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

Oh, dear Mel. I do understand. Here is what I do when I have your trouble.

For at least 24 hours, stay on a clear liquid diet. You may have to make it longer according to how badly your gut is irritated. You will know if you move up too quickly. Gradually add in a little rice that you have fixed yourself and know for certain is gluten-free. You might also try some potato soup if you do not react to dairy or some potatoes boiled in gluten-free broth if you do react to dairy. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND EASY TO DIGEST FOR SEVERAL DAYS. Gradually move up the diet list. If you have a problem, drop down a level. I know this seems as though it will take forever, but you have to allow your belly time to heal up. It will be shorter in the long run.

About that chicken...be sure that it is not enhanced with any broths or anything. It should say on the package. Many of the chicken out there and even some of the beefs and porks have fluids added to enhance flavors (though I am privately convinced that it is more because water weighs more than meat and it increases the price).

Hope you and others can use this info and get to feeling better.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#35 sfortney

sfortney

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

Try taking some enzymes. Enzymes help your body to absorb the food and help with digestion. Enzymatic Therapy has brands that say right on the bottle what they are free of. Probiotics are good too.

Do these also help with the distention or bloating? This is a major problem with me along with the nausea.

#36 kdskaggs

kdskaggs

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:59 PM

If the cause of your distension and bloating is a sluggish digestive system they will help.

Kenda

#37 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

Yes it will help with bloating and other things that have to do with your digestive system. If your digestive system is causing these symptoms enzymes will help. Probiotics will as well. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#38 sfortney

sfortney

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:56 PM

That is definitely good news!!

#39 tredart

tredart

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:27 PM

Very interesting. I am always nauseus, and I figured it was just my "delicate constitution." (lol) I agree that enzymes definately help, and so does Lactaid. I've cut way back on the dairy, but if I'm starving and that's what is available, I chew a lactaid and that helps. I've used the Peppermint drops when I've had bowel cramping. Actually, the enteric coated peppermint pills work even better, at least for me. But you're right, no matter how careful I am, no matter what I eat or do not eat, I am often nauseaus. It is very frustrating. And the funny thing is, chicken is a big trigger. I wonder what it is about poultry. I am very careful not to buy one that is basted or has fillers but it still will make me feel icky. I've been reading about other types of food allergies, and some people are allergic to poultry and eggs. It makes me wonder what other things are triggers for me.

#40 cristalball

cristalball

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

Hi Richard

You said 'Even if wheat is indeed used to "plump" up chickens, it does not carry through to the meat. This is not a concern'

My intention was not to imply that the meat could be affected by being grain fed, but rather that poultry sold in supermarkets can be 'plumped' up with hydrolised wheat protein - its always best to read labels to check for these additives.

#41 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

OK guys, i just got back from the weekend and read a lot of your responses. I went to see a new GI dr this weekend in NJ where I will be moving back to in about 3 weeks. He seemed very compassionate and was not dismissive at all. I guess it was also good to have my husband with me. I seem to get a different reaction from doctors when I have him with me.
I discussed my blood results and attempt at gluten-free diet for the past 2-3 months. He told me that if I was feeling better to stick with it and that when I moved there next month he wanted to meet with me again. He also said that we may want to do a biopsy and that even though I would be gluten-free for about 3 months the fact that I am still reacting and having problems could mean that I am still ingesting gluten accidentally and the biopsy may show some damage. Especially if this has been going on for a long time. It said that it could take up to a year to heal and see some signficant results. He also gave me Zelnorm for the IBS but told me to cut it in half and try to go to using it once a day instead of twice. He didn't want to put me anything else as he feels that people that have celiac disease are more sensitive to meds.
WE talked about fibro, chronic fatigue and all the wonderful things related to auto immune problems. of course he encouraged getting out...which I do every day but he wants to see more exercising....which I will try to do.
I think he is right about gluten sneaking in there........I get it occassionaly with foods when I eat out and with meds that I take. Today I took half a percocet because I threw my back out and my gut is sooooooooo irritated and bloated. Here we go again. I just can't seem to get it together and then I get so angry with myself.
I have another appt with him next month and we'll discuss how I am progressing.
I asked him about my endoscopy from 6 years ago and he said if the dr was not looing for celiac disease he could have missed the diagnosis. He may not have gone down far enough for a biopsy. I also told him that my GI dr at the time never even mentioned gluten...so I don't htink he was looking.
Thanks for all the support......gotta go now. Not sure which is worse.....the lower back pain or the sowllen irritated gut!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#42 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:53 PM

Mel-That's good that you found a doctor that is listening to you and not being dismissive of things. I think it is true about your husband coming along and a better response. Before I was diagnosed I had to go to the GI doctor and they couldn't take me for 3 months(when my mom called) when my dad called and told them I really needed to get in I was in there 2 days later!! They take it more seriously I think I'm not sure. I hope everything goes well and that you feel better than you are now :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#43 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

Hi Mel:

I was reviewing my gluten free drug list and I don't see percocet on there? I see vicodin Lortab, demorel, fioricet and codeine. I am not sure about any other pain meds.
I hope this helps!
Sally
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#44 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:18 PM

Since I try to use as many generic medications as possible due to the cost difference, I have found the at only way to be certain is to contact the individual manufacturer. Some of the same drugs made by different companies are gluten-free/not gluten-free according to the manufacuring process. I keep a separate tab in my notebook to track the ones I have called. When I went gluten-free, I found that I just could not get it under control. Turns out one of my primary neurological meds was laced with gluten and was just contributing to the problem.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#45 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for the responses. I checked percocet and didn't see it either on the gluten free drug list. So I'm thinking that it probably DID have it in there. I started a new post somewhere to see if anyone knew if it was gluten-free or not.
The manufacturer lists the ingredients and it contains corn starch but then also pregelatinized starch. Not sure what that is....but maybe that's where the gluten is.
I woke with my gut still feeling irritated and sore... so someting upset it. OK....time for a little camomille.
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: