17 replies to this topic

#16 Nanjkay

Nanjkay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

Nancy.....you obviously have touched on a nerve here but I must agree with you completely on this one. Except for those with DH, who react topically, gluten has to reach the gut for a reaction to occur and this medical fact can be backed up with any reference to Celiac Disease. Gluten cannot be absorbed through a mucous membrane because the molecule is just too large to do so. But if some want to believe that it does and go to greater lengths wth their personal care products, that's their choice. I take care with lipstick, for obvious reasons, and eye drops, because the medication will end up going down the back of your throat. The hand soap thing is beyond me as I usually rinse all soap off before drying so the problem should be taken care of. To back this up, my blood work is fantastic so I KNOW I am not ingesting gluten. Simple enough to find out with a blood test.

The balsamic vinegar problem may be from sulfites because balsamic does not contain gluten....especially the good stuff. It's all I use on salads and I have never had a problem with it. If it does contain caramel coloring, that is safe if the source is US made...it's made from corn here. From Italy, it could be another story. I highly doubt any reputable balsamic manufacturer in Italy would ever use barley malt in their product...they are food purists and tend to not do stuff like that. I have used the Williams Sonoma brand and have had no problems. Maybe try another brand and see if it makes you feel bad?

Gemini-

Thank you so much for this reply - both parts - about the gluten and about the balsamic vinegar. I did touch on a nerve, though, didn't I? One's mind can go crazy with gluten paranoia and you become afraid to eat, breath, wash, drink and in some people's case, have sex...I gain security from knowing the facts and the exceptions to the facts. The Colavita Balsamic only has grape, grape must and caramel coloring as ingredients and is produced in Linden, NJ. But, they claim to Legal Seafood that they are not gluten free. So, that is when my equation that I trust (if made in US caramel coloring made from corn) came into question, thereby calling into question other balsamic vinegars. I think the remaining thing I question are: Can we trust caramel color from Italy and does Italy have to list caramel color as an ingredient?

I am being a crazy detective. Like I mentioned, I get NO reaction from gluten, it has silently given me dozens of diseases, so I can't go by a "reaction". And like you all mentioned I get many other food reactions, so who is to say what is causing what. Usually, sulfites give me a headache or a full headed feeling...hard to explain. I did not get this reaction from the Olivier vinegar - I got no reaction, excepts I was getting weaker, losing my strength as the days went by.

If you try the Williams Sonoma brand and have not had a problem I will give it a try.

And thanks again-

nancy
Hip surgeries for chronic pain in glute muscles -1989
Sciatica and hip pain - 1991-1993, diagnosed with fibromyalgia - 1993
Diagnosed with Grave's disease - 1995, radioactive iodine - 1996
Gained 60 lbs., depression, low energy, terrible PMS - 1997-2000, diagnosed with PCOS - 2001
Diagnosed with Endometriosis - 2004
Stopped working from severe dizziness, eye pain and fatigue - Thanksgiving 2006
Diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis caused by Fibromyalgia - 2007
Gluten free - September 2007

Diagnosed with Lyme, Babesia and possibly Bartonella - June 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

Nancy.....you obviously have touched on a nerve here but I must agree with you completely on this one. Except for those with DH, who react topically, gluten has to reach the gut for a reaction to occur and this medical fact can be backed up with any reference to Celiac Disease. Gluten cannot be absorbed through a mucous membrane because the molecule is just too large to do so. But if some want to believe that it does and go to greater lengths wth their personal care products, that's their choice. I take care with lipstick, for obvious reasons, and eye drops, because the medication will end up going down the back of your throat. The hand soap thing is beyond me as I usually rinse all soap off before drying so the problem should be taken care of. To back this up, my blood work is fantastic so I KNOW I am not ingesting gluten. Simple enough to find out with a blood test.

The balsamic vinegar problem may be from sulfites because balsamic does not contain gluten....especially the good stuff. It's all I use on salads and I have never had a problem with it. If it does contain caramel coloring, that is safe if the source is US made...it's made from corn here. From Italy, it could be another story. I highly doubt any reputable balsamic manufacturer in Italy would ever use barley malt in their product...they are food purists and tend to not do stuff like that. I have used the Williams Sonoma brand and have had no problems. Maybe try another brand and see if it makes you feel bad?

Yes...all good information.

I do TRY to buy gluten free topical products just in case I do have a gluten reactions, I can eliminated that source immediately. I do not find it critical to my health and I do not have any DH issues.

In the past three years information as developed and changed quite a lot. As Gemini stated caramel color is not a gluten issue in the US, but it does take some time for the correct information to filter down to where it is considered safe to all concerned. There still are many incorrect myths still floating around that just won't die. :(
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#18 laurelfla

laurelfla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:37 AM

I am so glad to have run across this thread! I definitely have avoided caramel color like the plague unless I knew about the product's gluten free status beforehand. Whew! It is great to know that US-made is okay (well, depending on what is going on with this vinegar).
Nancy, I feel you on the no reaction thing -- I cannot say definitively whether in the past two and a half years of glutenfreeness I've been sick because of gluten... there have been times when I've felt bad, but nothing for sure. When I got diagnosed I just felt generally bad, weak... but no surefire reaction immediately after eating gluten.
Whenever I put any vinegar on a salad, with the first bite, I feel like I want to gag. It has only come about in the past year or so... I am pretty much not eating it anymore because it makes me a little nauseated. Sounds like I should check the sulfite issue. Thanks to all of you!
diagnosed 8/05 through positive bloodwork & biopsy
gluten-free since then!

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among mysteries." Theodore Roethke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: