This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Crescent Roll Recipe

Guhlia

Guhlia Rising Star
I'll try again:

Crescent Rolls

1/2 stick butter ( 1/4c) room temp.

3/4 c. small curd cottage cheese

1 c. gluten-free flour mix ( rice,potato starch,tapicoa )

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 TBSP sugar

In mixer bowl combine butter & cottage cheese until well blended. Add dry ingredients. Mix until a ball forms.

Wrap in plastic wrap & chill for several hours.

On a lightly floured parchment paper, roll dough into a 14 inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles ( make sure to roll thin), Pizza cutter works well for cutting...

Roll each triangle from wide end to tip. Turn ends to make a crescent shape. Bake 350 for approx 20 to 30 min..

sorry for the first post but it is correct now. Yea, flour does help!!!!!!!!!!!

Mamaw, I just wanted to say that this is possibly my favorite recipe! It is SOOOOOO versatile. Its also really easy to double and triple. Out of one tripled batch I can make pizza crusts (delicious and tastes very similar to Pizza Hut's pan pizza without all the grease), crescent rolls, turnovers, and still have enough left to make a cinnamon bun. I LOVE THIS RECIPE! THANK YOU! The dough also stays nice in the fridge for days. I think I've left it in there for up to 4 days and have never had a problem. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

That looks fabulous! I copied it and will try it some time.

sparkles Contributor

This looks easy.... I no longer do much baking but might be willing to give this a try. Can you make up the pizza crusts, bake them with no toppings and freeze them for later use? Just curious... if you have never tried to do this, I may still give it a try and see if they can be frozen after being baked.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
This looks easy.... I no longer do much baking but might be willing to give this a try. Can you make up the pizza crusts, bake them with no toppings and freeze them for later use? Just curious... if you have never tried to do this, I may still give it a try and see if they can be frozen after being baked.

I think I would try freezing the dough, thaw, top, and bake. OR bake, freeze, top, reheat without thawing. Maybe I'll try both ways................

Guhlia Rising Star

I haven't tried freezing, but I can tell you that I bake them first without toppings until lightly browned, then put toppings and sauce on to finish. I imagine you could freeze it after the first bake.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Angie

I agree this is a terrific recipe. I also make hot pockets using a similar recipe.

2 c. betterbatter flour

1 tsp. salt

1 c. unsalted butter

4 tbsp cream cheese

8 tbsp. ice water.

combine flour, salt , butter, cream cheese in a food processor. Process until coarse crumbs form. ( I don't have a food processor so I just used my hands)

With processor running add ice water & process to form a dough. Turn out onto a floured board & press into a ball.

Divide dough in half, wrap tightly in plastic wrap & refridgerate at least a half hour.

Roll out to desire thickness.

Put a filling of your choice & roll or make shapes & seal them. I baked them for about 15 min or so at 350 degrees.

For filling I made several different ones. I used sandwich pepperoni, hard salami, & provolone cheese. I made some with peanut butter & jelly ( made these round so they looked like the clones). I did meat pasties, I did pizza sauce , green peppers, onions, mushrooms, & pepperoni & cooked drained sausage. These work great for school lunches.

Both these recipes originally came from Naomi Poe from betterbatter flour.

If you haven't tried her flour blend it is a one to one sub for wheat recipes. It is worth the price......

blessings

mamaw

Sweetfudge Community Regular

mmm, i was just thinking i needed a good crescent roll to go with the chicken salad i was planning on making for lunches this upcoming week! perfect timing! i'll get right on these. and i will definitely have to try the "pizza hut" crust :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

From first post:

"Crescent Rolls

1/2 stick butter ( 1/4c) room temp.

3/4 c. small curd cottage cheese

1 c. gluten-free flour mix ( rice,potato starch,tapicoa )

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 TBSP sugar"

Regarding small curd cottage cheese. I tried a recipe using this recipe and couldn't get the curds to blend. There were yellow spots in my muffins. I'm wondering if one could use ricotta cheese instead? I love the ricotta cheese muffin recipe.

best regards, lm

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I made those last night too! Here's a picture. My Husband thinks I am weird because I am always taking pictures of our food. :lol:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/c...s9/crescent.webp

The recipe is originally from Open Original Shared Link modified from the Open Original Shared Link. Has anyone tried any of their other recipes? Some of them look really good.

Regarding small curd cottage cheese. I tried a recipe using this recipe and couldn't get the curds to blend. There were yellow spots in my muffins. I'm wondering if one could use ricotta cheese instead? I love the ricotta cheese muffin recipe.

I think ricotta would work just fine. There is a recipe on the Open Original Shared Linkthat uses ricotta, with all other recipe components being the same. I don't end up with lumps in my cottage cheese, but I do let my Kitchenaid whip the butter and cottage cheese for quite a while.

happygirl Collaborator

love, love, love better batter flour....it is definitely worth it! thanks for the recipes!

Yellow Rose Explorer

Mawma

Can white rice flour be used in the gluten-free flour mix or do you use brown rice?

Yellow Rose

mamaw Community Regular

Yelloe Rose,

White rice four will work.

Larry Mac,

Ricotta works fine.

If you go onto betterbatter site there are clones for Krispy Kreme Donuts, soft pretzels, & loads more excellent recipes. The flour blend does just about anything one could hope for>>>>>>

I have also in the past used nut filling or fruit fillings & roll up the crossiants.

enjoy

Guhlia Rising Star

I just wanted to add that this recipe makes THE BEST hamburger rolls that I've had since going gluten free. They were super easy to make also. I made three hamburger rolls and two personal sized pizzas out of a double batch (could have made 4 rolls and no pizzas). They are reminiscent of a kaiser roll (kind of). Very tasty! They don't quite seem done in the center when cut, but they definitely taste done and there's nothing in them that can't be eaten raw, so... I highly recommend trying them as hamburger buns. :)

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Angie

Did you just make a ball & flatten it a bit for the hamburger bun? Did you bake it any longer?

Have you tried Against The Grain rolls yet? They are soooo good for burgers, sloppy joe's, cold cuts & more...

I'm getting picky! I have Everybody Eats ficeille crusty rolls for pasta, ATG for sandwiches, gluten-free GreatBakes for Bagels & Eng. muffins, Anna's bread mix, & a batter bread (scratch) from gluten-free Living!!!! Plus Betterbatter flour!

Try the hot pockets , they are a winner at our house!!!

blessings

mamaw

Guhlia Rising Star

Yeah, I just made a big old dough ball, about the size of a thin hamburger roll and flattened it. It didn't rise a whole lot, but enough to cut in half. They were amazing! Very filling though, probably due to the cottage cheese and all that butter in the rolls. :) I really have no idea how long I baked them for. I just kept checking on them every few minutes until they were brown and crusty looking on top. ??? Maybe 25-35 minutes? I'm really not sure. I did bake them at the temp the recipe calls for if that helps.

I try not to buy the premade stuff just because of cost. That stuff is just so darn expensive. I don't think I've tried anything Grainless Baker. No one around here carries anything made by them and I try not to order stuff online because of shipping. I wish I had a Whole Foods or Wegmans really close by.

So far, that recipe you posted is probably my favorite. It is SO versatile! I can make pretty much anything with it that's supposed to be soft and bready. I even made pizza rolls (reminded me of Totino's, but not the same at all). I chopped up pepperoni and added mozzerella, parmesean, italian seasoning, and garlic then formed them into little biscuits and baked. They were SOOOOO good, the perfect snack food. :) I have the feeling that recipe might also make good soft pretzels, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure how it will fair through boiling. I guess maybe one of these days I'll have to try it.

Anyway, my thanks goes out to you for the recipe. I never, ever would have thought to use cottage cheese in bread. :)

mamaw Community Regular

Hey Angie

Soft pretzels are on Naomi's site. SHe has the Auntie Anne's clone & another one. Her site is very good & informative as well. Do you belong to a support group? I know Naomi sells flour at the Lancaster group. I can't remember exactly where you are located....I had her at our group & everyone loved her..... She's only 30 & lots of fun, & knowledge....& owns a business to boot!!!!!

mamaw

Guhlia Rising Star
Hey Angie

Soft pretzels are on Naomi's site. SHe has the Auntie Anne's clone & another one. Her site is very good & informative as well. Do you belong to a support group? I know Naomi sells flour at the Lancaster group. I can't remember exactly where you are located....I had her at our group & everyone loved her..... She's only 30 & lots of fun, & knowledge....& owns a business to boot!!!!!

mamaw

I live about 20 minutes outside of Lancaster city. I don't belong to a support group, mostly because I'm very awkward around people. I get anxious in new settings also, so I haven't joined one. (can you say asperger's? lol)

What is Naomi's site??? I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO miss Auntie Anne's pretzels! I would do almost anything to have an exact replica. Any chance anyone knows how to duplicate their delicious sweet mustard?

• 3 years later...
Learner01 Newbie

Posting to an old thread, is that ok? Thank you for this recipe! Before my flare-up recently, I made a fantastic cheese danish using store bought crescent rolls. I'm craving it again! So glad I found this through the search field.

• 1 year later...
andrearae Newbie

This is absolutely great and an easy recipe to follow. I use better batter

and this dough lasts in the fridge for a week. I can just pull it out and use it to make crescent rolls, calzones etc.

Archived