Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Swollen Lymph Nodes
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Anyone else with celiac have swollen lymph nodes sometimes that you think are just from the celiac? I know that some other autoimmune diseases can cause them, such as lupus. So I was just wondering.

I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck. They've been there for almost 3 months. And have not gone away. The doctor ruled out any kind of infection and didn't seem concerned about anything else. I called back twice last week and I managed to get an appointment for next Tuesday for further diagnostic testing.

Just wondering if anyone has had them.

Thanks.

Dee

Ads by Google:

As far as I know, swollen lymph nodes are always an indication of an infection somewhere. Obviously, your doctor can't have ruled out every kind of infection if he hasn't found the cause yet.

You should be concerned about the swollen lymph nodes, and your doctor should be as well!

I had swollen lymph nodes frequently when still eating gluten. Of course, I would have had an inflamed intestine, and probably an inflamed stomach as well.

Afew times ive been to the doctors and they have said i have swollen lymph nodes, yet i didnt have a sore throat or infection that i knew of.

I had swollen nodes for years, in neck and groin mostly. Doctors always attributed it to my then undiagnosed DH and the lesions from that. I do know they have finally gone down but it did take a long time gluten-free before they did.

My lymph nodes are swallon right now too. They seem to get that way when I'm run down. Also a change in seasons always takes it's toll on me. The way I'm feeling right now is if I don't rest and take it easy I'll end up getting a cold. So I'm planning on resting this weekend.

When my kids were small and I go in for a doctors check up the doctor would always say that they were swallon. He would say to me, Tell your husband to help you out and get more rest. ;) I think my husband thought I was making it up.

Gail

Anyone else with celiac have swollen lymph nodes sometimes that you think are just from the celiac? I know that some other autoimmune diseases can cause them, such as lupus. So I was just wondering.

I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck. They've been there for almost 3 months. And have not gone away. The doctor ruled out any kind of infection and didn't seem concerned about anything else. I called back twice last week and I managed to get an appointment for next Tuesday for further diagnostic testing.

Just wondering if anyone has had them.

Thanks.

Dee

Well, I am in the same boat you are..I had lymph node removal to rule out lymphoma. they still do not know what is going on..other than no lymphoma. It is very possibly you may have a one of many underlying conditions that is or can be associated wtih celiac disease. I guess you need to see if you are posing other symptoms. (night sweats, fevers, rash etc)

Anyone else with celiac have swollen lymph nodes sometimes that you think are just from the celiac?

I've had swollen nodes for years, since I was kid (40+ years). For years it was mostly in my neck and groin. Several years ago I began getting deep, painful, cystic abscesses in my face. That was one of the things that finally drove me to the next county to find medical care that cared. I just couldn't stand having my face torn up any more.

Once I went off gluten, my face cleared up, and I've had hardly any abscesses. I'm just getting over a miserable round of bronchitis, so my glands are swollen somewhat, and I've got some inflammation going. There is undoubtedly a connection between the systemic autoimmune response of celiac disease and the swollen glands.

I have had swollen lymph nodes in my groin area for years. My doctor's explanation varies from time to time; the last time he said it was because I had mononucleosis when I was a teenager (he had it too, and has chronically swollen lymph nodes, as well). Once you have mono, the virus stays in your body forever.

Of course, I'm not sure if this is what's going on with me. It may have something to do with the celiac and always having internal inflammation somewhere.

Well, I am in the same boat you are..I had lymph node removal to rule out lymphoma. they still do not know what is going on..other than no lymphoma. It is very possibly you may have a one of many underlying conditions that is or can be associated wtih celiac disease. I guess you need to see if you are posing other symptoms. (night sweats, fevers, rash etc)

Haven't been on here for a few days!

I am a little concerned. I had night sweats, but that was whenever I was glutened. The night sweats have pretty much disappeared now that I've been gluten-free for a while. It sounds silly, but I hate to wait and see if other symptoms show up. The swollen lymph nodes are still there. They don't come and go. I realize it could just be an autoimmune relation, such as with Lupus (people with lupus or RA can have swollen lymph nodes. So the person who wrote about the inflammation connection is probably correct.) But I just wish my doctor could rule stuff out and come to the conclusion that it's just related to the celiac.

Also, when I went gluten free at first I thought for sure I'd loose weight. I cut out a lot of sweets and all that fattening food. I was gluten free for over a year and never even lost 1 pound! I was soooo depressed about that. But this month I've lost about 10 or 12 pounds. I'm very happy about that, but also a little concerned. And it's not because I'm trying. All I do is sleep. So there's another concern. I can't seem to make it through the day past 2:30. I'm so exhausted-- you know, like when you're glutened. But I don't think I'm having cc issues either. I don't know.

Thanks for your replies. I think everyone here is right-- there's definitely an autoimmune connection.

Haven't been on here for a few days!

I am a little concerned. I had night sweats, but that was whenever I was glutened. The night sweats have pretty much disappeared now that I've been gluten-free for a while. It sounds silly, but I hate to wait and see if other symptoms show up. The swollen lymph nodes are still there. They don't come and go. I realize it could just be an autoimmune relation, such as with Lupus (people with lupus or RA can have swollen lymph nodes. So the person who wrote about the inflammation connection is probably correct.) But I just wish my doctor could rule stuff out and come to the conclusion that it's just related to the celiac.

Also, when I went gluten free at first I thought for sure I'd loose weight. I cut out a lot of sweets and all that fattening food. I was gluten free for over a year and never even lost 1 pound! I was soooo depressed about that. But this month I've lost about 10 or 12 pounds. I'm very happy about that, but also a little concerned. And it's not because I'm trying. All I do is sleep. So there's another concern. I can't seem to make it through the day past 2:30. I'm so exhausted-- you know, like when you're glutened. But I don't think I'm having cc issues either. I don't know.

Thanks for your replies. I think everyone here is right-- there's definitely an autoimmune connection.

Your lymph system is the "great custodian" of the body. Always cleaning crap out. It could be that they are moving toxins out. You can help them along by doing rhythmic exercise like a mini trampolin or even walking helps.

I am going through an incredibly painful swollen lymph node problem recently. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be celiac related! But who knows? It's in my left groin and it's so painful, worse when I sit or drive, at times so bad it has brought me to tears. I've been going through some skin cancer issues, and had a questionable lesion on my left shin, so I went to have that biopsied...thought for sure it would come back positive and that would be the cause! Before the results I could not endure the pain and I went to my rheumotologist, she said not lupus, osteoporosis or joint related and thought it had to be related to the skin lesion, rx'd pain relievers and heating pad. Biopsy was precancerous. ??? The swelling is still there, the pain has been a bit better the last 2 days, but then again, now I have rx pain meds! I believe I am pretty meticulous with my diet. I can't even trace any cross contamination. Although I have noticed looking a bit bloated and feeling gassy, so maybe it really could somehow be abdominal inflammation in some way. That would be the closest lymph nodes, I think...

Thanks for any input and for letting me vent...

d.

I have been gluten free for three years and I had never *noticed* any neck swelling... but recently at a routine appointment they noticed my neck was swollen. Thyroid ultrasound and thyroid blood work was good. I went to my primary care doctor and she did some blood work. Slight elevation in platelets, elevated C reactive protein, somewhat anemic. Going to GI doctor tomorrow to get some more input into this. Tracing my steps, I bet I cross-contaminate myself way too often as the husband and I eat out too much. I guess we will see....