12 replies to this topic

#1 deesmith

deesmith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:16 PM

Anyone else with celiac have swollen lymph nodes sometimes that you think are just from the celiac? I know that some other autoimmune diseases can cause them, such as lupus. So I was just wondering.

I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck. They've been there for almost 3 months. And have not gone away. The doctor ruled out any kind of infection and didn't seem concerned about anything else. I called back twice last week and I managed to get an appointment for next Tuesday for further diagnostic testing.

Just wondering if anyone has had them.

Thanks.

Dee

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

As far as I know, swollen lymph nodes are always an indication of an infection somewhere. Obviously, your doctor can't have ruled out every kind of infection if he hasn't found the cause yet.

You should be concerned about the swollen lymph nodes, and your doctor should be as well!

I had swollen lymph nodes frequently when still eating gluten. Of course, I would have had an inflamed intestine, and probably an inflamed stomach as well.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 S_J_L

S_J_L

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:20 AM

Afew times ive been to the doctors and they have said i have swollen lymph nodes, yet i didnt have a sore throat or infection that i knew of.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

I had swollen nodes for years, in neck and groin mostly. Doctors always attributed it to my then undiagnosed DH and the lesions from that. I do know they have finally gone down but it did take a long time gluten-free before they did.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:15 AM

My lymph nodes are swallon right now too. They seem to get that way when I'm run down. Also a change in seasons always takes it's toll on me. The way I'm feeling right now is if I don't rest and take it easy I'll end up getting a cold. So I'm planning on resting this weekend.

When my kids were small and I go in for a doctors check up the doctor would always say that they were swallon. He would say to me, Tell your husband to help you out and get more rest. ;) I think my husband thought I was making it up.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#6 md395

md395

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:17 PM

Anyone else with celiac have swollen lymph nodes sometimes that you think are just from the celiac? I know that some other autoimmune diseases can cause them, such as lupus. So I was just wondering.

I have swollen lymph nodes in my neck. They've been there for almost 3 months. And have not gone away. The doctor ruled out any kind of infection and didn't seem concerned about anything else. I called back twice last week and I managed to get an appointment for next Tuesday for further diagnostic testing.

Just wondering if anyone has had them.

Thanks.

Dee

#7 md395

md395

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

Well, I am in the same boat you are..I had lymph node removal to rule out lymphoma. they still do not know what is going on..other than no lymphoma. It is very possibly you may have a one of many underlying conditions that is or can be associated wtih celiac disease. I guess you need to see if you are posing other symptoms. (night sweats, fevers, rash etc)

#8 CeliBelli

CeliBelli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

Anyone else with celiac have swollen lymph nodes sometimes that you think are just from the celiac?

I've had swollen nodes for years, since I was kid (40+ years). For years it was mostly in my neck and groin. Several years ago I began getting deep, painful, cystic abscesses in my face. That was one of the things that finally drove me to the next county to find medical care that cared. I just couldn't stand having my face torn up any more.

Once I went off gluten, my face cleared up, and I've had hardly any abscesses. I'm just getting over a miserable round of bronchitis, so my glands are swollen somewhat, and I've got some inflammation going. There is undoubtedly a connection between the systemic autoimmune response of celiac disease and the swollen glands.

#9 Di_gfree

Di_gfree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:03 AM

I have had swollen lymph nodes in my groin area for years. My doctor's explanation varies from time to time; the last time he said it was because I had mononucleosis when I was a teenager (he had it too, and has chronically swollen lymph nodes, as well). Once you have mono, the virus stays in your body forever.

Of course, I'm not sure if this is what's going on with me. It may have something to do with the celiac and always having internal inflammation somewhere.
Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy '97/Gluten Free ever since
Diagnosed Hashimoto's 04/08

#10 deesmith

deesmith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

Well, I am in the same boat you are..I had lymph node removal to rule out lymphoma. they still do not know what is going on..other than no lymphoma. It is very possibly you may have a one of many underlying conditions that is or can be associated wtih celiac disease. I guess you need to see if you are posing other symptoms. (night sweats, fevers, rash etc)

Haven't been on here for a few days!

I am a little concerned. I had night sweats, but that was whenever I was glutened. The night sweats have pretty much disappeared now that I've been gluten-free for a while. It sounds silly, but I hate to wait and see if other symptoms show up. The swollen lymph nodes are still there. They don't come and go. I realize it could just be an autoimmune relation, such as with Lupus (people with lupus or RA can have swollen lymph nodes. So the person who wrote about the inflammation connection is probably correct.) But I just wish my doctor could rule stuff out and come to the conclusion that it's just related to the celiac.

Also, when I went gluten free at first I thought for sure I'd loose weight. I cut out a lot of sweets and all that fattening food. I was gluten free for over a year and never even lost 1 pound! I was soooo depressed about that. But this month I've lost about 10 or 12 pounds. I'm very happy about that, but also a little concerned. And it's not because I'm trying. All I do is sleep. So there's another concern. I can't seem to make it through the day past 2:30. I'm so exhausted-- you know, like when you're glutened. But I don't think I'm having cc issues either. I don't know.

Thanks for your replies. I think everyone here is right-- there's definitely an autoimmune connection.

#11 md395

md395

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

Haven't been on here for a few days!

I am a little concerned. I had night sweats, but that was whenever I was glutened. The night sweats have pretty much disappeared now that I've been gluten-free for a while. It sounds silly, but I hate to wait and see if other symptoms show up. The swollen lymph nodes are still there. They don't come and go. I realize it could just be an autoimmune relation, such as with Lupus (people with lupus or RA can have swollen lymph nodes. So the person who wrote about the inflammation connection is probably correct.) But I just wish my doctor could rule stuff out and come to the conclusion that it's just related to the celiac.

Also, when I went gluten free at first I thought for sure I'd loose weight. I cut out a lot of sweets and all that fattening food. I was gluten free for over a year and never even lost 1 pound! I was soooo depressed about that. But this month I've lost about 10 or 12 pounds. I'm very happy about that, but also a little concerned. And it's not because I'm trying. All I do is sleep. So there's another concern. I can't seem to make it through the day past 2:30. I'm so exhausted-- you know, like when you're glutened. But I don't think I'm having cc issues either. I don't know.

Thanks for your replies. I think everyone here is right-- there's definitely an autoimmune connection.

#12 ShayFL

ShayFL

ShayFL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:26 AM

Your lymph system is the "great custodian" of the body. Always cleaning crap out. It could be that they are moving toxins out. You can help them along by doing rhythmic exercise like a mini trampolin or even walking helps.
GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

#13 djoyg

djoyg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

I am going through an incredibly painful swollen lymph node problem recently. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be celiac related! But who knows? It's in my left groin and it's so painful, worse when I sit or drive, at times so bad it has brought me to tears. I've been going through some skin cancer issues, and had a questionable lesion on my left shin, so I went to have that biopsied...thought for sure it would come back positive and that would be the cause! Before the results I could not endure the pain and I went to my rheumotologist, she said not lupus, osteoporosis or joint related and thought it had to be related to the skin lesion, rx'd pain relievers and heating pad. Biopsy was precancerous. ??? The swelling is still there, the pain has been a bit better the last 2 days, but then again, now I have rx pain meds! I believe I am pretty meticulous with my diet. I can't even trace any cross contamination. Although I have noticed looking a bit bloated and feeling gassy, so maybe it really could somehow be abdominal inflammation in some way. That would be the closest lymph nodes, I think...

Thanks for any input and for letting me vent...

d.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: