23 replies to this topic

#1 whitelacegal

whitelacegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:25 PM

I have Celiac and also found out Diabetes 2, the Doc put me on the med Actos for the Diabetes but it is making me gain weight really fast and im getting up in the middle of the night to eat, anyone else have this problem??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cmom

cmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:21 PM

I am not diabetic but I am getting extremely frustrated with the weight gain. I have been gluten-free for several years but have been consistently gaining the past 7-8 months. According to my scale, I gained 10 pounds in 10 days! Is that possible? I would think I'd have to eat 24/7 to gain that much in that short period. I can barely fasten my jeans, my stomach is so bloated. My 18 year old son asked if I was pregnant. I exercise several times a week. I have not gone through menopause so it can't be related to that. I am about to SCREAM! <_<
Robin from Indiana

#3 mopsie

mopsie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:54 PM

I gained about 17 lbs in the 6 mos. I've been gluten free. :( I'm getting disgusted with myself. I try to lose but it doesn't work, I cheat too much as I don't have the will power I had when younger.
mopsie
mopsie

gluten free since July 04
hypothyroid, osteoporosis

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me.

#4 debjocc

debjocc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:58 PM

I can feel your pain. :( I had dropped about 15 pounds when I became ill, and was diagnosed Celiac in Sept 04. Since October, I have gained 25 pounds. I am also diabetic, Type 1, but I think my weight gain is attributed to the amount of bread that I have added to my diet. Since there are not many fast food places we can go to, I have been taking my lunch to work, usually a sandwich with the homemade bread I make.... I rarely ate sandwiches before! Plus, as my health improved my appetite increased considerably. I am also struggling with trying to fit into my clothes.... most of my pants no longer fit and I am reluctant to go shopping for new clothes because I am hoping to lose 10 pounds by curbing my appetite and getting into an excercise routine. I am hoping that within another month I can adjust my diet to more appropriate foods and stay away from the breads. This should improve my blood sugar as well. Has anybody out there been able to shed the weight they have gained as a result of Celiac Sprue?

#5 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:44 AM

Wow, you're all going to hate me. I've been gluten-free since late Sept. 2004 and I've lost about 8 lbs now, without trying. The major difference for me is I'm not eating hardly any "bread" products. Almost no bread, cake, cookies (yes I know there are tons of gluten-free products). I do have starches.... rice, potato, pasta (very rarely).

When I found out I had to be gluten-free I took that as a good time to change my entire diet.

Susan

#6 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:29 AM

I've gained weight too since being gluten-free. I think part if it is because I over-compensated with the food I WAS allowed (rice, potatoes, gluten-free pasta, and now Manna from Anna bread) in place of the food I'm no longer allowed to have.

When I explain to folks about Celiac disease and they ask me the symptoms, I tell them one is unexplained weight loss... then I look down at me and say, "But I didn't GET that one!!" haha

FYI... the pastas we're allowed have a higher "glycemic index" meaning that on any sort of low carb or diabetic diet, they're actually WORSE than regular pasta.

I guess it was about the time I had to go gluten-free that I discovered risotto... my new favorite food... cheesy sticky rice... what's not to love?? It takes all my will power not to make it regularly!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#7 kvogt

kvogt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:13 PM

My problem was my lifetime habit of eating everything on the table. For 43 years I was the one who ate constately and hardly gained a pound. Now that my gut has healed, I can no longer eat to excess and stay thin. I've discovered that I can indeed survive on smaller, normal portions. This has allowed me to loose about 1/3 or my gain, putting me about where I want to be - no longer rail thin, but not too round. I've also discovered I can't easily tell the difference between hunger and thirst. Now when I'm hungry betwen meals I drink a glass of water before going to the pantry. I also have reduced significantly my consumption of gluten-free substitutes for cookies, cakes, etc.

#8 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:50 PM

A major part of my problem is that glutenfree flours have more calories than wheat flour. Since I figured out how to make yummy devil's food cake and chocolate chip cookies, I can eat the whole batch. I feel deprived, since I cannot eat whatever I want, so I overeat what I can have. It's a vicious circle!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#9 dfish

dfish

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:24 AM

I was put on Actos about a year ago for pre-diabetes and I gained 14 pounds in a month. You may want to get back in touch with your doctor. I don't want to scare you, but Actos is very hard on a person's liver and the information I received from my doctor was to contact her immediately if I noticed a great deal of weight gain rapidly because it could be water retention/swelling from liver issues. I went to my doctor when I gained that weight and she immediately took me off of Actos because of concerns about it affecting my liver function; I also took some liver tests when I went off of it to see if any damage had been done. I would highly, highly recommend getting in touch with your doctor and ask to be checked and/or put on something else. If you can stomach it, Glucophage is a diabetic medication that is not in the same class as Actos or Avandia; it may hurt your tummy for a while, though, and also requires some liver function monitoring but it doesn't seem to be as hard on someone's liver as Actos or Avandia. As an aside, I ended up going off of all of my diabetic medications because they were so hard on my stomach and I already have horrible stomach issues. I was not in full diabetes yet, so if I could get my diet and weight under control, my doctor felt that I wouldn't need the meds (my diet and weight are not yet under control, but I have lost a few pounds recently). Just be prepared for some significant GI issues with glucophage or metformin if that is what you end up taking. :)

#10 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:23 PM

You guys will hate me even more. I have lost 40lbs in the last year since going gluten-free. Because of the celiac disease I really watch what I eat and make sure I exercise regularly. Yes it is hard and it takes a lot of self-discipline but I have no other choice. I felt so awful eating gluten that my life had hit rock bottom and I almost lost everything. I never want to go back to that again. We have been dealt a bad hand with celiac disease but we have to make the best of it. I can do things I was never able to do in the first 36 years of my life. If it means giving up the gluten to finally feel alive then so be it. I'm not about to waste the next 36 years of my life. There is hope.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#11 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:03 PM

:o I have the same weight gain problem, also. I am trying to abstain from lots of gluten-free carbs that are high in calories and fat. I think that it is a" basic 'count your calories as if you were not gluten free. I am giving it a whirl to see if I can lose sensibly on fruits anf vegetables(FRESH)AND lean meat.

#12 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:02 AM

I started the SCD diet last week, and the weight is already starting to come off. When I first went gluten-free I lost 45 lbs. ~ then put it back on over the past 10 years. I was eating gluten in many sources that I didn't realize, and for me, eating gluten = weight gain. Over the past 6 months I have been "eduated" on this site and am starting to eliminate all gluten. I am doing the SCD to "clean" out and start fresh! Hopefully I can lose the weight again and feel better than I have in years!! :)

#13 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:26 AM

I've found too that I've lost weight since being strictly gluten-free. I do replace a few breads/carbs with gluten-free items but not frequently. Simply because I don't find that I have a lot of time to do this. I recently read something about eating in the volumetrics life style. By weight of items and volume, not content. As it is styled by the concept that regardless of what we eat humans are in the habit of eating the same volume sizes of food on a regular basis.

Well, whether or not that holds a lot of water, I decided it was time to incorporate more vegetables in my diet and fruit.

For those of you gaining weight, it may just be a spin off of your body trying to balance this new lifestlye of eating. My only suggestion is looking at what new foods you are substituting that are gluten-free, are they higher in fat or calories? I found initally that I was doing that myself. I wish you all luck as I can relate to the frustration of weight gain and attempting to keep it off. I'd give subsituting other foods with more veggies and fruits and see how that does you for a couple of weeks. Can't hurt! :)

Best of luck to all..and feel free to look here for support. There are alot of us in the same boat it seems!
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

#14 rebecb

rebecb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:03 AM

It makes me feel better to hear other people complain of the same problems and know I'm not alone. I've been gluten free for a few years now, and initially lost weight with the diet. But I ate gluten about a month ago, and must have messed up recently as well. I have gained about 15 lbs, and my stomach is so bloated none of my pants fit. It is so depressing, and it literally happened overnight. I have been trying to be super strict, but I am still really bloated and really unhappy about it. I heard yeast can cause bloating as well, so I'm going to try to avoid that as well and see if it helps. If not, I need to go buy a whole new wardrobe for when I accidently eat gluten and look pregnant. :(

#15 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:24 AM

I can relate Rebecb. SUCH a pain!!! If I get gluten, I swell up overnight and can't find anything to wear! AND, all it takes is a crumb. Sigh... It is such a drag. We all have our crosses to bear ~ I guess there are a lot of things worse out there. :)
Just eating meat, fruits and veggies should help with the bloat. Eating fewer carbs helps in that area greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: