23 replies to this topic

#16 traci

traci

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

I agree, it is the carbs. I do not like the bread, any of it and only one type of pasta. My diet is basically lean protein, fruits, veggies with a few fats like nuts and cheese.

The flours used to make our stuff is highly refined, so its all useless carbs, and has high glycemic index that luv is talking about. unlike a 12 grain bread which is full of fiber. Carbs are stored as fat. This why Atkins and Southbeach work...

I hear you in feeling deprived. I get angry sometimes but then I think how sick I was and nothing would induce me to go back to that.

It also does not help that the brownies come in packages that make a HUGE pan.. there they sit and you just eat them.

I have lost my stomach, I was never heavy and am rather angular instead of curvy like I always wanted to be so I cannot say I have gained weight, I have lost the bloat that I thought was just my stomach. <_<

I think if you can, try very hard to stay away from all those carbs. I mean you gotta have some and yes we all need treats but you will get more fiber if you eat some veggies. I graze throughout the day. If I go too long without something, I am starving and thats when the pan of brownies starts looking like dinner. If youre starving by the time you eat, its easy to eat 16 oz of red meat.. thats not good either. :o

My husband who is not Celiac gains weight at an alarming rate when he starts eating lots of breads and what not. All in his belly. When he takes them out, poof its gone. Carbs make people heavy.

I really think people were not meant to eat a lot of grains or flours. No matter if you are Celiac or not. We were meant to eat lean protein and plants. Even in the ancient times, if people gathered grains, they were NOT refined. They busted them up with rocks and boiled them and ate them. They were only a very small part of the diet too. The meat they ate was lean game. Did you know the Native Americans used to store fat in intestines because in the winter, they would get a disease due to lack of fat in the amimals they killed? Cannot think of what the illness was called.... but anyway, we dont have that problem in the USA these days. Too much of what we eat is full of fat and we eat too many carbs too. Its just that it TASTES SO GOOD! :angry:

Instead of white or worse, Minute Rice, try brown rice. Put your PB on a stick of celery or an apple. Easy on our pasta and bread. And if you mess up dont be too hard on yourself. Its hard enough to be on a diet let alone this one!!
Traci-Self Diagnosed after removing all gluten from my diet... Please note I do not advocate self diagnosis but a woman's gotta do what she's gotta do!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:48 PM

Well said about the "high carb and fat" in our gluten-free breads and desserts. They really are empty calories and nutrient "low". I am really trying to stay away from them as much as I can, but I am going to have to make it a lifestyle to eat them as a treat(once in a while). You are so right about lean meat and vege protein as well as fresh fruit being our daily needs. I know that I can fight the battle of the bulge if I eat healthy gluten-free foods and watch calories as wellas EXERCISE! :o :( :rolleyes:

mom

#18 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:56 AM

I LOVE Dietary Specialties mixes, but, like Jessica said, we have to use them rarely and in "treat" form!! :( I can tell a BIG difference in my body and how I feel when I have a lot of carbs or limited carbs. Bummer, but that is life!! :)

#19 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:58 AM

Oooops! Sorry "Mom"... saw your avitar and thought you were Jessica. Teach me not to READ the name!! Sorry!! :(

#20 scoutfinch

scoutfinch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

I've gained 20 pounds since I started a gluten-free diet at the beginning of the year, and I was a little overweight to begin with. My celiac symptoms are "silent" - other than having low iron and some lactose intolerance, I don't suffer from the awful GI problems that many do. I think the only reason the gastroenterologist found the celiac disease was because he was doing an endoscopy/colonoscopy to find out why I wasn't healing as well from surgery as I could be. This is so frustrating!!! I feel like I've given up my favorite things for nothing! I don't think I'm overeating, or eating a lot of fatty or high-calorie food. I haven't been substituting much of the gluten-free baked goods because they're just not worth eating. My body must now be absorbing every single calorie I ingest. I'm now working out 4 days a week and really watching every bite I take - if I can't lose a significant amount of weight by the first part of June when I have a follow-up doctor's appointment, I'm thinking that something else is wrong. I'm ready to ditch this gluten-free diet. Is being obese a bigger health risk than chronic low iron and diet-related angst? As you can tell, I'm "fed" up! Any advice? :angry:

#21 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:46 AM

;) I am having the same problem as you have. I had silent signs also except for low iron and protein levels. Believe you me , I think that I would rather keep trucking and try at weight loss (which is what I am trying to do) than to end up with severe malnution and possiblly lymphoma etc. This disease also can work on you mental health if you continue eating gluten..Try to keep yor chin up and comminicate with all of celiac people. I can get very frustated at times but you just can't give in to gluten!

Mom :rolleyes: :rolleyes: B)

#22 mom

mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

Scoutfinch-- :)

I also wanted to ask you if you had heard of the GIDIET. It is low in sugar and carbs. Lots of people like the recipes that are in the book. You can find the book info at www.gidiet.com. I am thinking about looking into it myself. It may be worth a try. :D ;)

Mom

#23 scoutfinch

scoutfinch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:55 PM

Hi Mom:

Thanks for the gidiet website (and also for letting me vent!) I'll check it out to see what it's about.

scoutfinch

#24 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:16 PM

I eat so incredibly healthy, but I too cannot lose weight. I just feel like my metabolism is in slow gear. I eat very few calories per day (maximum of 1500), but I still continue to gain. I don't know what to do anymore because I am so incredibly frustrated. I mean if I am going to gain weight, I will do it by eating sweets, not fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean meats!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE JESUS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: