This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Silly Question I Know But I Will Ask Anyway

Krystens mummy

Krystens mummy Enthusiast

This may sound like a silly question but when my partner asked if it was normal he got me thinking.

all of my life I have never been able to fully extend my jaw without it clicking. This may be normal. However, just recently my left side of my hip clicks when I walk not all of the time but quite frequently.

I also have problems with my right shoulder doing the same thing when I lift it above chest height whichever way I move it. sometimes it clicks sometimes it grinds. This sounds funny but I have celiac family members in the uk that have joint abd bone problems is this normal for a 26 yr old?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

S-J-L Apprentice

Are you quite thin?

Ive just been diagnosed with celiacs and in the past i have dislocated my knee cap just by doing gentle kicking in the pool, partially dislocated my jaw (it only started out as clicking and locking), and my wrist, just from leaning on it!!

I am very thin though due to celiacs, and when i went to the physio he said that because im thin i dont have enough muscle and ligament support around my joints so they 'pop out' easily.

Im not sure if this is due to my thinness or the celiac thing

S-J-L Apprentice

Im only 20 by the way lol

Are you quite thin?

Ive just been diagnosed with celiacs and in the past i have dislocated my knee cap just by doing gentle kicking in the pool, partially dislocated my jaw (it only started out as clicking and locking), and my wrist, just from leaning on it!!

I am very thin though due to celiacs, and when i went to the physio he said that because im thin i dont have enough muscle and ligament support around my joints so they 'pop out' easily.

I'm 150 cms tall and 50 kg (don't know what that is in pounds) but my BMI is 25.5 which is a little on the high side so I could lose a few pounds. I have already as I keep getting ill mainly gastro and kidney pain? I dont know if this is due to celiac I have been blood tested which was negative but everyone on my dads side seems to have it and my daughter is very gluten sensitive at 16 months!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Sounds like you have loose joints. There are some connective tissue disorders that seem to have a link with celiac. It's also possible that you might have bone spurs, which can catch on the tendon, and eventually tear it. This would have to be evaluated by either an orthopedist, a sports medicine doctor (they deal with this a lot), or a physical therapist. Bone spurs can be seen on X-rays. Connective tissue cannot. It can be seen on an MRI, but those are much, much more expensive.

When I was in physical therapy (shoulder injury), there was a woman with Marfan's Syndrome, who had a lot of problems with loose joints (caused by the Marfan's Syndrome--which is characterized by being extremely tall and thin, with particularly long arms. Abraham Lincoln had Marfan's, as did Paganini.

jitters Apprentice

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I had that same problem when I was about 22 years old. My hip clicked when I walked with every step. It seemed to be getting worse and worse and it got painful too after awhile. I moved closer to my mom who is gluten free and we started eating better and exercising. Something weird happened too- I quit clicking! I figured it out: it wasn't the exersicing or eating better. I'm sure that helped but what really did it was corn. I no longer ate corn. Its about 6 years later now and if I eat corn my hip and wrist start to click again.

Also, I'm not sure if it matters but I'm short and was pretty pudgy at the time...

Corn is in a lot of gluten free foods, so that might be whats bothering you. Coffee also does it to me, but not as bad. Good luck!

nikky Contributor
Are you quite thin?

I had the same problem in both of my shoulders and im 15 the physio also said that i had no ligament/muscle build up causing a lack of control. Im extremely thin and my jaw clicks too.

In some cases the coeliac causes you to be thin and the thinness causes the lack of muscle, its because your body uses its reserves to keep itself working.

In others coeliac causes the joints to weaken and 'loosen', its actually the weakness that makes them buckle or 'pop out'.

Krystens mummy, you could try going gluten free for a bit or get tested. Also some physio to help strenghthen the affected joints would probably be benificial. good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flourgirl Apprentice

Your dentist may be able to answer the question about your temperal-mandibular joint (your jaw). Some clicking once is a while is normal, a lot is not. Your doctor would be able to help there, too. There is a syndrome that could be bothersome, but I don't have much info there. As far as joints clicking....some is normal, I guess. When I was younger I had lots of that in many joints...my knees used to actually get stuck. A real scare when driving (manual shift) :o ! In middle age I had way too many incidences of inflammation in joints and tendons (knees, shoulders, elbows, wrists, collarbone), but most of that has resolved, apparently with going gluten free. It could be inflammation, could be arthritis, could be loose joints, could be any number of things. You may want to put that on your list to ask your doctor on your next visit. If you are not in any pain, though, and if there is no reduction in your range of motion, I don't think it's something to get too worried about. Hope you are feeling all right otherwise! :)

S-J-L Apprentice

Yea sounds similar to me!

My spine is starting to ache now though, and my wrists are getting weaker :(

Hope this gluten free diet does something for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Not a silly question, as you can see from replies. My joints clicked and scraped for a long, long time. It's another one of those things that don't happen to me any more. I also have Ehlers Danlos, which is genetic and results in hypermobile joints. My knees for example bend backwards and I have to be very careful not to dislocate my ankles and knees, although I learned in childhood how to put them back in place. I don't know whether the inflammatory process effects the fluid in the joints or what exactly is the cause but since I have been gluten-free my dislocations have decreased by at least 75% and none of my joints crackle and pop any more.

Thanks for all of your replies! I don't feel so silly now and I'm glad I asked. I have had some interesting symptoms especially as a child I didn't eat much was very skinny, had frequent stomach aches and recurrent urinary infections. My family on my dads side are celiac (high preportion of them actually) and he has symptoms. My daughter 16 months is VERYgluten sensitive. I have been blood tested and they all came back negative. I have been having gut symptoms and kidney pain on and off for about two months now so they are doing more testing. There I've just repeated myself lol I think I said the same in my last post. Isn't that a sign of maddness lol.

susieg-1 Apprentice
Thanks for all of your replies! I don't feel so silly now and I'm glad I asked. I have had some interesting symptoms especially as a child I didn't eat much was very skinny, had frequent stomach aches and recurrent urinary infections. My family on my dads side are celiac (high preportion of them actually) and he has symptoms. My daughter 16 months is VERYgluten sensitive. I have been blood tested and they all came back negative. I have been having gut symptoms and kidney pain on and off for about two months now so they are doing more testing. There I've just repeated myself lol I think I said the same in my last post. Isn't that a sign of maddness lol.

I see Fiddle-Faddle mentioned bone spurs. I have been Dxed with bone spurs in hip and chiropractor suggested magnesium supplements for muscle spasms. My research on magnesium shows that a deficiency can cause bone spurs, you may want to get levels checked.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I second the magnesium suggestion, as that has helped me. But what sees to be helping most is glucosamine. My jaw got so bad I could barely eat, and couldn't chew. It was scraping and grinding something awful. Now it's vastly improved - only slightly noticeable. Other joints have also improved, which I hadn't even thought about, as I had just come to live with those, and sorta accepted they'd always be like that. The supplement I take also has MSM in it, so I don't know if that has made any difference in the effectiveness.

Usually, the clicking/grinding jaw thing is referred to as TMJ.

cupid Newbie

Wow, I'm amazed @ how many people I've met w/ celiac that have these symptoms. I was diagnosed w/ TMJ(jaw clicked on left side) 6 yrs ago and my Dr wanted to do steroid injection therapy but insurance didn't cover it so didn't do this treatment. Started to have problems w/ my right hip and noticed left shoulder was lower than right. A friend of mine who is massgae therapist said my hips were out of alignment which was pulling down shoulder and jaw. She fixed it in four sessions and hadn't had any trouble until lst yr when shoulder started to bother me again. Now have been diagnosised w/ scoliosis. Wonder if people w/ celiac develop this because of nutrition deficiencies. Went to a chiroprator this time because insurance covers but now have more problems then when I started. Plan to try to alleivate symptoms w/massage again.

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

my left ankle clicks everytime I walk down steps. I can also make it click by making circles with my foot. My left wrist is also the same way....

my left ankle clicks everytime I walk down steps. I can also make it click by making circles with my foot. My left wrist is also the same way....

My left hip clicks when I take larger strides my jaw clicks all the time when I try to fully open my mouth and my shoulder clicks and grinds when I move it from side to side with elbow at right angles and try to do circles. I thought this was normal as I have had it most of my life but my shoulder has started to hurt now. Thankyou everybody it has prompted me to get it checked out.

Archived