4 replies to this topic

#1 S_J_L

S_J_L

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:55 PM

I have been gluten free for not quite a week yet. I have never had problems with stomach upsets or anything when i was on gluten, but now i feel bloated all the time, my stomach is not settled and i feel that hungry burning/rumbling all the time.
Why is this!?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 aikiducky

aikiducky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:27 AM

It's not that uncommon... you have to remember that you've made a major change to your eating habits, so your stomach and intestines might need some time to get used to the new way of eating.

What have you been replacing gluten foods with? Have you been eating a lot more dairy for example? That could give you stomach rumbles if it's just too much dairy in a day for you. Or if you've suddenly started to eat much more veggies and fruit that could also be a new thing for your stomach.

It's also quite common to feel less well in the beginning of the healing process. I don't know quite why but lots of people have mentioned it here. It seems to be the first months you can have lots of ups and downs until it all settles down.

Pauliina

#3 mammajamma

mammajamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

I actually was kind of glad to read this! I am now on gluten-free day 4, and I am really in a lot of (belly) discomfort now... more than when I was on gluten, and I have been (or so I thought) super careful these last few days. I was wondering if I was crazy!

#4 S_J_L

S_J_L

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

Oh ok, i have been eating abit more fruit and dairy.
I just had the best gluten free burger from burger fuel though! :D

#5 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:24 AM

The other thing to remember is that you may have other food issues - i found out quickly that I cant handle tapioca, and almost every gluten-free product you can buy includes tapioca flour in it. Have you been eating a lot of gluten-free baked items?

Alternatively, have you gone carb-free? are you still eating something with some starch in it? Make sure you are still eating some rice, some potatoes, even some corn chips, so that you are still getting some of the carbs your body is used to. Eating nothing but dairy, meats and veggies can be hard on your system too, if you arent used to it.
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: