2 replies to this topic

#1 CRB

CRB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:53 AM

Hi! My hubby is pretty allergic to soy and is reacting to something. I haven't been able to figure out what. He's been gluten-free since Dec and soy-free since Feb-- so we're newbies! Anyway, he's been taking a supplement that has glycerine in it-- does that contain soy? Gluten? Or can it? this is made in the USA.

Thanks!

Cynth

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tipnpat

tipnpat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hi,
I'm new to all of this too and I'm finding lots of fascinating information. I would recommend reading the Wikipedia page on glycerin for some interesting insight. Glycerin can occur naturally from soapmaking but the manufactured glycerin is or seems to be much more synthetic in nature. The most obvious problem to me is that the action of glycerin suppositories is to irritate the bowel thereby causing a laxative effect. If it irritates the rectum, I would imagine it would irritate the intestine also. Another theory is that supplements not only have glycerine but alot of them also use gelatin capsules. I seem to react to MSG and the reading I've done about MSG says that all gelatin produces free glutamic acid which might be naturally occuring but sensitive people still react to it. And lastly sythetic glycerin is made from many things such as biodiesel and epichlorohydrin which is carcinogenic. In a normal person none of this might matter but in a person who is sensitized it could be a problem. These are just theories. I'm a scientist by nature and I love to theorize.

tipnpat

#3 tipnpat

tipnpat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

One more thing... processed FREE glutamic acid is different than just glutamic acid. It is the FREE glutamic acid that can be harmful to some people or in large amounts.

tipnpat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: