- - - - -

Rice Flour Or Tapioca Issue

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hightop girl_*

Guest_hightop girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

Since going gluten free in August, I have eaten very few grains and had significantly less stomach issues.
In the last month, I have had one gluten free chocolate/coconut cookie and a gluten free muffin. Both had rice flour and tapioca. Both times I had a severe stomach ache, bloating etc. and about a 5 pound weight gain, but they came on 6-12 hours after eating. This also seems to happen if I eat risotto, or rice of any kind. Then it last for a couple of days. Does this happen to anyone else? Corn meal does not seem to have that same problem for me. The first time I thought it was an accidental gluten issue, but I know that is not the case this time. If I can't do the rice/tapioca flour, what would you suggest?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JennyC

JennyC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

I would experiment with corn starch, sorghum and potato flour.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#3 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

I had the same experience with gluten-free items, even tho i was making most of them at home. I thought it was either the tapioca or sorghum flour, but i read on this forum that several celiacs have trouble with the tapioca. I have avoided tapioca ever since and felt much better.

However, if rice gives you the same symptoms, then it could be the rice.

You will find that 95% of all gluten-free products include tapioca, and all contain rice flour.

You coudl try making your own using millet or quinioa flour . . . or you could try going grain-free . . .there is a thread about that
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

#4 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

I couldn't pin point it for a while, but finally found out it was tapioca starch and tapioca flour (same thing) that was bothering me. I get bloated, headaches and stomach issues.
Is the rice you are eating gluten free? Some rice contain gluten.

Good Luck
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#5 Guest_hightop girl_*

Guest_hightop girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:53 AM

I didn't know there was gluten free rice. Where do I find it? The odd thing is rice seems to have the opposite effect as gluten on me. Actually it is worse because it starts later and lasts longer, but I still end up doubled over in pain. I will check into the gluten free rice, and trying something other than tapioca.

#6 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:50 AM

Brown rice and rice bran cause problems for me. Minute Rice is fine. I don't know about tapioca yet.
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

I can do rice, corn and sorghum--tapioca gives me stomach cramps.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

I didn't know there was gluten free rice. Where do I find it? The odd thing is rice seems to have the opposite effect as gluten on me. Actually it is worse because it starts later and lasts longer, but I still end up doubled over in pain. I will check into the gluten free rice, and trying something other than tapioca.

I like Uncle Ben's Fast & Natural Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice -- says Gluten Free on the back of the box.

Here is a link I found couple months ago when I was looking into rice:
http://gfkitchen.ser...01.com/rice.htm
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#9 48lowesracer

48lowesracer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Since going gluten free in August, I have eaten very few grains and had significantly less stomach issues.
In the last month, I have had one gluten free chocolate/coconut cookie and a gluten free muffin. Both had rice flour and tapioca. Both times I had a severe stomach ache, bloating etc. and about a 5 pound weight gain, but they came on 6-12 hours after eating. This also seems to happen if I eat risotto, or rice of any kind. Then it last for a couple of days. Does this happen to anyone else? Corn meal does not seem to have that same problem for me. The first time I thought it was an accidental gluten issue, but I know that is not the case this time. If I can't do the rice/tapioca flour, what would you suggest?

Tapioca starch disagrees with me, but not the flour. I don't know if this makes any sense though. I eat Food For Life Brown Rice Bread and am fine with the tapioca flour in it. When I was eating yogurt with tapioca starch in it, I noticed a reaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: