This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Gluten Free Vegaterians?

Violinist

Violinist Rookie

Earlier today, I found out that I cannot have gluten, and I'm a vegaterian. Does this cause any problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

No problems, I'm sure (unless you were already having problems with your veggie diet).

If you get your protein from nuts/seeds/veggies, you can still eat all those things.

the only thing I can think of, is that lots of folks are sensitive to other foods, which becomes more noticable to them once they quit gluten. A big culprit is soy; another is dairy. If you are a vegetarian that relies on soy foods a lot, or dairy foods a lot, you may end up having problems. Frankly, they're not necessarily good choices even if you aren't allergic/sensitive.

I was a vegetarian for 15 years; when I was diagnosed with celiac, I ended up adding some fish and meat back out of frustration for nothing to eat, and to test if the animal protein made me feel more energetic. I'm strongly considering going back to veganism (dietary veganism, that is -- as a motorcyclist, I really want my leather protection racing down the highway).

What does your diet look like for the most part: bfast, lunch dinner on average. Or what are your sources of protein and fat?

Mango04 Enthusiast

I'm pretty much a vegetarian. I don't eat any meat (I would if more free range organic options existed where I currently live and I would eat fish if I didn't live in a landlocked country) but anyway - I don't have problems. I can't do gluten, dairy or soy. I do eat eggs.

I mostly eat rice, beans, lentils, eggs, fruits, veggies, quinoa, olive oil, nuts, rice milk and occasionally gluten-free pasta.

Whether it might cause problems for you kind of depends on your metabolic type and which types of protein your body thrives on. Everyone is different, but as long as you eat plenty of whole, natural foods you should be okay.

Violinist Rookie

Well, I haven't been eating a lot of gluten lately, even before I knew I couldn't have gluten, because of my younger bro who has celiac diesease. I also know from the enterolab test that I'm allergic to milk. I do eat fish and seafood, so that is a good source of protein for me. At b-fast, I nornmally have an egg and gluten-free waffles or gluten-free cereal. At lunch, I have a couple of fruits and veggies, water, a gluten-free candy, and some nuts and veggie chips. At dinner, I usually eat gluten-free because my mom prepares supper for the whole family, including my celiac brother.

spunky Contributor

If you're the type of vegetarian that includes eggs and seafood, you can probably just continue on.

I was vegan when I had to stop eating gluten, and while I've heard of others who manage this, I couldn't do it. I added seafood and attempted to add back eggs, but now they make me sick. So I added the chickens instead... I wish I could be vegan, and maybe some day I'll try again, but I think a person has to eat what makes them feel the healthiest.

It sounds like your diet already has enough other stuff to keep you feeling filled up and healthy.

Archived