6 replies to this topic

#1 cycler

cycler

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

It's so hard to know what's causing the feeling of "not feeling right" after eating, but I think that I'm sensitive to nightshades (potatos, tomatos) and I don't feel that great after eating even a small amount of onions in a prepared dish so I was wondering if that is why.
Also - does using dried onion change anything? I am able to eat potato flakes sometimes and not get a reaction. I'd love to be able to use something of that ssort as a flavoring in small amounts!
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

No, the onion family is completely separate from nightshades. Nightshades include potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, tobacco. Paprika (the spice) is derived from a pepper, and is therefore a nightshade food.

Some people can't tolerate onions very well, but that is a different problem to the one nightshades pose.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 cycler

cycler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:40 PM

No, the onion family is completely separate from nightshades. Nightshades include potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, eggplant, tobacco. Paprika (the spice) is derived from a pepper, and is therefore a nightshade food.

Some people can't tolerate onions very well, but that is a different problem to the one nightshades pose.

Thanks for the response! I never knew that about Paprika - I use it all of the time on my roast chicken and I've never had a reaction.

#4 Jenn928

Jenn928

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

Excuse my ignorance please, however what is a nightshade??

Newly dx and find this forum to be a lifesaver, thank you!
Jenn
Howell, MI
Newly Dx: Dec-07...still learning! :)

#5 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

Excuse my ignorance please, however what is a nightshade??

Potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce are classified as nightshade foods. A particular group of substances in these foods, called alkaloids, can impact nerve-muscle function and digestive function in animals and humans, and may also be able to compromise joint function. Because the amount of alkaloids is very low in nightshade foods when compared with other nightshade plants, health problems from nightshade foods may only occur in individuals who are especially sensitive to these alkaloid substances.
http://www.whfoods.c...=george&dbid=62

Newly dx and find this forum to be a lifesaver, thank you!

Welcome to the board! :)
Rachel

#6 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

I'm sensitive to foods high in sulfur....onions, garlic, broccoli, cabbage, etc (all cruciferous veggies)....are high in sulfur.
Rachel

#7 Jenn928

Jenn928

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the explanation on nightshades. Learn something new every day. :)

How do you all find out what else your sensitive to? By trial and error?
Jenn
Howell, MI
Newly Dx: Dec-07...still learning! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: