This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Traveling

lilypad23

lilypad23 Explorer

I'm going out of town in about three weeks to visit my grandmother. I'll be there for five days. The only problem is that my aunt, who I'll be staying with, isn't the most supportive person in this situation. She basically thinks that because I won't go out to eat and I quit my job at Pizza Hut that I'm being too careful about it. I'm kind of worried about the possibility of getting CC'd while I'm there. Does anyone have any ideas how I could aviod getting CC'd while out of town? I'd really rather not spend the whole time sick :ph34r:.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

My suggestion would be if you go out to eat stick to salads & things you know are fairly safe. Try to find places that offer a gluten-free menu. Red Robin, Outback, Smokey Bones, Taco Bell (not muchavailable but good for a quick lunch) , Boston Market & so on.

Eating at your Aunts house I would take a cooler full of my food . Explain that you understand not everyone has to eat this way & not everyone knows what another person can eat . SO to make the visit fun without hassles of worrying about you & your eating lifestyle you brought your own food. Take something really good to share. I would also take some protein bars just in case you get out somewhere & get hungary.

I go everywhere with a bag of gluten-free foods just in case I get stuck & need to eat. You could take some frozen meals already prepared to help so you don't have to cook in her kitchen just heat things up.... dinty moore stew is easy , Amy's mac & chesse, hot dog or burger, meatloaf . Take bread with you too. Don't forget dessert!!!!!!!!

hth

mamaw

gfpaperdoll Rookie

When I show up at my friend's houses for the weekend I have a large cooler & all my food & drink. They love having me for the weekend!!!!

sallyterpsichore Explorer

Since you are, presumably, sharing a kitchen, you just have to be ridiculously careful that you keep your utensils separate; that you have a separate serving of butter or peanut butter, or anything that you might spread on something and could collect crumbs from your aunt's food. Also, don't use her toaster. If she's thinks you're being paranoid, she'll probably be obnoxious about your "overreaction" in her kitchen as well, but just keep reminding yourself that it's better than being sick. I really loathe people who aren't supportive about these things....seriously, what good does it do them to criticize you for taking care of yourself? Toxic...okay, I'll stop whining, but really, these people are toxic.

lilypad23 Explorer

Thank ya'll for the advice. I'll definitely be taking my own food.

1965kid Apprentice

I have only been at this for 6 months, but I have learned a few ways to make traveling easier.

I try to eat real healthy when Im home, and I pig out on junk foods when i travel. I will take fun stuff like Hormel Chili W/Beans, Vieanna's, Pork & Beans, Fritos and Bean Dip, Popcorn, Beef Jerky, Hot Dogs, Candy Bars, Ice Cream and lots of other chips and stuff. It makes traveling more fun cause thats when I let myself eat all the things that are bad for me.

When I get back home, its Salads, and healthy cooking with natural foods and natural ingredients.

And you can load up on junk food at any convienance store! :-)

cyberprof Enthusiast
I have only been at this for 6 months, but I have learned a few ways to make traveling easier.

I try to eat real healthy when Im home, and I pig out on junk foods when i travel. I will take fun stuff like Hormel Chili W/Beans, Vieanna's, Pork & Beans, Fritos and Bean Dip, Popcorn, Beef Jerky, Hot Dogs, Candy Bars, Ice Cream and lots of other chips and stuff. It makes traveling more fun cause thats when I let myself eat all the things that are bad for me.

When I get back home, its Salads, and healthy cooking with natural foods and natural ingredients.

And you can load up on junk food at any convienance store! :-)

That's a great solution - love it!

I took a lot of Tasty Bite curry (pre-made, just heat and eat curry with rice pouches), Thai Kitchen noodles (Pad Thai, noddle soup etc), Lara Bars, Progresso Wild Rice soup, Bush's Baked Beans and some crackers. Buy some gluten-free turkey lunchmeat, cream cheese, Peanut Butter and cheese sticks from the grocery when you get there along with some bagged salads. (The only problem with the Tasty Bite curries is that I don't think you can carry them on the airplane, if you're flying. Driving is ok.)

~Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ellen123 Apprentice
(The only problem with the Tasty Bite curries is that I don't think you can carry them on the airplane, if you're flying. Driving is ok.)

~Laura

Why ever not??!! Do they fake-out the bomb-sniffing dogs? :D Or do the airport security staff pull you out and search your luggage because they confuse anyone carrying Tasty Bite curry with a mid-eastern terrorist? :lol: No seriously -- what did you mean?

cyberprof Enthusiast
Why ever not??!! Do they fake-out the bomb-sniffing dogs? :D Or do the airport security staff pull you out and search your luggage because they confuse anyone carrying Tasty Bite curry with a mid-eastern terrorist? :lol: No seriously -- what did you mean?

My understanding is that the TSA prohibits liquids or gels and won't allow the pouches in the cabin. I could be wrong. But they still have the rule that you can only carry on 2 ounces of shampoo. Baby formula and some other required medicines are exempt. I don't think they'd make an exemption for celiacs because we can always eat crackers or Lara bars, right?

~Laura

ellen123 Apprentice
My understanding is that the TSA prohibits liquids or gels and won't allow the pouches in the cabin. I could be wrong. But they still have the rule that you can only carry on 2 ounces of shampoo. Baby formula and some other required medicines are exempt. I don't think they'd make an exemption for celiacs because we can always eat crackers or Lara bars, right?

~Laura

ellen123 Apprentice

Oh of course! Liquids and gels . . . . I guess I was picturing the Tasty Bite boxes in my mind and didn't think about what's inside them! I guess all the Tasty Bite curries have to go in luggage.

Archived