1 reply to this topic

#1 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:40 AM

I have pet birds and wonder if handling their food (contains wheat) might cause a reaction or if I just wash my hands carefully, that this would not be a problem. Along these lines, they create a certain amount of dust in the air as they crunch up seeds and their nutritional pellets--what about this?

I imagine dog food and other pet foods that come in pellet form contain wheat so...what's the deal? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 EmilyP2004

EmilyP2004

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 10:03 AM

I have pet birds and wonder if handling their food (contains wheat) might cause a reaction or if I just wash my hands carefully, that this would not be a problem. Along these lines, they create a certain amount of dust in the air as they crunch up seeds and their nutritional pellets--what about this?

I imagine dog food and other pet foods that come in pellet form contain wheat so...what's the deal? :unsure:

The gluten which damages coeliacs actually has to reach the smalll intestine so you are safe just handling food and carefully washing your hands afterwards.

Inhaling wheat dust should not be a problem to a coeliac either- you have to actually eat gluten & get it in your digestive system to damage your villi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: