17 replies to this topic

#1 todzwife

todzwife

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

Do you avoid fast food completely? Today we went to Burger King and I had NO idea what to get for my daughter.

Burger King? McDonalds? Arbys? Wendys?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenGalAZ

GlutenGalAZ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

All of the fast food places you listed have a food allergy section on their website.

Wendy's, I get their baked potato and chili.

Some places you can ask for no bun (remember to think of the stuff that goes on the food item though) and tell them why no bun so they use new gloves and don't CC.

I personally don't really eat out at fast food places anymore because I miss the hamburger bun. I've tried the low carb burger at Carl's and In N Out protien style burger it just isn't the same.
I get In N Out's french fries though and their shake occationally.

Good Luck
Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007
Completely Gluten Free February 2008
Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008
No MSG July 2008
Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009
Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

#3 dandelionmom

dandelionmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:58 AM

We try to avoid eating out as much as possible because my daughter is so sensitive. We've had pretty good experiences with Wendy's though. I get her the kids' meal with a cheese burger-no bun, milk, and orange slices. When I order I stress that she's very very allergic to wheat and bread and ask them to please be very careful and please change their gloves before touching her food. Then I stand on my tiptoes and watch them make it just to be sure they're being careful.

#4 debmom

debmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:23 AM

Chik-Fil-A has an extensive gluten free menu. You can get most of the fast food gluten free menus on line so you can be prepared ahead of time. outback and other restaurants have them also and many of their wait staff are very knowledgable about celiac disease.
Good luck!

#5 Kibbie

Kibbie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:43 AM

Do you avoid fast food completely? Today we went to Burger King and I had NO idea what to get for my daughter.

Burger King? McDonalds? Arbys? Wendys?

I avoid most of them unless I have other options: (Not just for gluten reasons mainly for health reasons)

I've never been to Burger King with my daughter sincd Dx but we have done McDonalds (grilled chicken breast and side of fruit) in a happy meal bag and she was fine. I use the word ALLERGY there because they seem to understand its serious when I say that.

We do occasionally go to:
Taco Bell, Chik-a-filet, Zen, Wendys and Sonic occasionally.

Taco Bell: My daughter eats their tostada
Chick-a-fliet: grilled chicken and their fries or fruit (potatoes have a separate fryer at the one I go to and the manager has Celiac Disease so I trust it)
Wendys: Baked potato and their frosty
Sonic: A salad
Zen: has a gluten free menu

I typically take my daughter to sit down restraunts though, Red Robin, Pei Wei, local places and typically we get her a cheeseburger no bun with fruit or grilled chicken breast with fruit.

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

We have additional food allergies so eating out is tough. Mainly we don't do fast food, but occasionally we'll go to Wendy's. We might have chili, side salad (no dressing), mandarin oranges, baked potato or fries.

#7 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:06 AM

I do Chik-fil-a and I get the grilled chicken no bun, fries and a milkshake....Boy are their milkshakes good!

I do salads from Wendy's on rare occasions. Other than that I usually don't do fast food, but thats me.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#8 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

I'll do Wendy's if I have to. Although I am starting to question their fries... :(

For us, Chipotle is in walking distance. I haven't gotten sick there yet, and virtually all of their foods are gluten-free. But then again, I am junkie for Tex/Mex type foods, soI could eat there everyday. They will make any combination for kids there, so if your child wants a cheese taco, they'll do it. There is an issue with gloves at some, fortunately, mine works like a line and the person touching the tortilla doesn't touch any of my other food. :)
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

#9 gfpaperdoll

gfpaperdoll

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

I loev chipotle but get sick there everytime so I had to quit going. What happens is they touch the flour tortillas with the spoon then dip the spoon back in the beans, etc... Maybe your place is more careful...

#10 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

We go to McDonald's occaisionally and get the Bacon Ranch salad with grilled chicken, fries and an ice cream sundae or McFlurry with M&Ms. We've never been glutened there, though I think there is a thread here where people have debated whether or not McDonald's is safe. Our local McDonald's has always been okay.

Boston Market has a delicious Chopped Salad, and their mashed potatoes and gravy are gluten-free, though you have to worry about cc. They have a website with an allergen chart. My daughter always gets the kid's meal with chicken and mashed potatoes, and has been okay so far.

We haven't gone to Burger King, so don't know. They have onion rings there, so their fries probably aren't safe.

#11 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

cinnamon
The McDonald's grilled chicken salad is not ok any longer. We too used to love them for a quick meal. The chicken is flash frozen or glazed frozen which I'm told now contains gluten. sorry.

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Wendy's Gluten Free Listings:

http://www.wendys.co...n_free_list.pdf

McDonald's Gluten Free Listings:

http://www.mcdonalds...ents.index.html

Taco Bell Gluten Free Listings:

http://www.yum.com/n...t_statement.pdf
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#13 mmcdaniels

mmcdaniels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have found that even chains with safe items can vary a great deal. There are 2 Burger Kings near us. At each we have ordered a hamburger kids meal with fries with instructions that the hamburger can't touch a bun due to a severe food allergy. One has worked out great for us. The other is obviously less careful because my son has gotten very sick after eating there. Watch for cleanliness and how well they do at keeping the gluten free fries away from the unsafe onion rings.

Our best dining experience has been at Cheeseburger in Paradise but unfortunately the closest one is 2 hours away.

Chic-Fil-A Fries are good but my picky eater son won't touch the grilled chicken breast.

#14 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:01 AM

Noooooooooooooooooo, not the McDonald's salad!! Aargh!

Well, thanks for letting me know. Darn. That was the one thing everyone liked.

#15 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

We eat at Chick-fil-a quite a bit. We know the manager, so we feel comfortable there. I just found out last week that you can order a kids meal with grilled chicken nuggets. The only other places we eat are Pei Wei and Chipotle, and Outback for special occasions.
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: