This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fast Food Choices?

todzwife

todzwife Rookie

Do you avoid fast food completely? Today we went to Burger King and I had NO idea what to get for my daughter.

Burger King? McDonalds? Arbys? Wendys?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

All of the fast food places you listed have a food allergy section on their website.

Wendy's, I get their baked potato and chili.

Some places you can ask for no bun (remember to think of the stuff that goes on the food item though) and tell them why no bun so they use new gloves and don't CC.

I personally don't really eat out at fast food places anymore because I miss the hamburger bun. I've tried the low carb burger at Carl's and In N Out protien style burger it just isn't the same.

I get In N Out's french fries though and their shake occationally.

Good Luck

dandelionmom Enthusiast

We try to avoid eating out as much as possible because my daughter is so sensitive. We've had pretty good experiences with Wendy's though. I get her the kids' meal with a cheese burger-no bun, milk, and orange slices. When I order I stress that she's very very allergic to wheat and bread and ask them to please be very careful and please change their gloves before touching her food. Then I stand on my tiptoes and watch them make it just to be sure they're being careful.

debmom Newbie

Chik-Fil-A has an extensive gluten free menu. You can get most of the fast food gluten free menus on line so you can be prepared ahead of time. outback and other restaurants have them also and many of their wait staff are very knowledgable about celiac disease.

Good luck!

Kibbie Contributor
Do you avoid fast food completely? Today we went to Burger King and I had NO idea what to get for my daughter.

Burger King? McDonalds? Arbys? Wendys?

I avoid most of them unless I have other options: (Not just for gluten reasons mainly for health reasons)

I've never been to Burger King with my daughter sincd Dx but we have done McDonalds (grilled chicken breast and side of fruit) in a happy meal bag and she was fine. I use the word ALLERGY there because they seem to understand its serious when I say that.

We do occasionally go to:

Taco Bell, Chik-a-filet, Zen, Wendys and Sonic occasionally.

Taco Bell: My daughter eats their tostada

Chick-a-fliet: grilled chicken and their fries or fruit (potatoes have a separate fryer at the one I go to and the manager has Celiac Disease so I trust it)

Wendys: Baked potato and their frosty

Sonic: A salad

Zen: has a gluten free menu

I typically take my daughter to sit down restraunts though, Red Robin, Pei Wei, local places and typically we get her a cheeseburger no bun with fruit or grilled chicken breast with fruit.

Juliebove Rising Star

We have additional food allergies so eating out is tough. Mainly we don't do fast food, but occasionally we'll go to Wendy's. We might have chili, side salad (no dressing), mandarin oranges, baked potato or fries.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I do Chik-fil-a and I get the grilled chicken no bun, fries and a milkshake....Boy are their milkshakes good!

I do salads from Wendy's on rare occasions. Other than that I usually don't do fast food, but thats me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'll do Wendy's if I have to. Although I am starting to question their fries... :(

For us, Chipotle is in walking distance. I haven't gotten sick there yet, and virtually all of their foods are gluten-free. But then again, I am junkie for Tex/Mex type foods, soI could eat there everyday. They will make any combination for kids there, so if your child wants a cheese taco, they'll do it. There is an issue with gloves at some, fortunately, mine works like a line and the person touching the tortilla doesn't touch any of my other food. :)

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I loev chipotle but get sick there everytime so I had to quit going. What happens is they touch the flour tortillas with the spoon then dip the spoon back in the beans, etc... Maybe your place is more careful...

Cinnamon Apprentice

We go to McDonald's occaisionally and get the Bacon Ranch salad with grilled chicken, fries and an ice cream sundae or McFlurry with M&Ms. We've never been glutened there, though I think there is a thread here where people have debated whether or not McDonald's is safe. Our local McDonald's has always been okay.

Boston Market has a delicious Chopped Salad, and their mashed potatoes and gravy are gluten-free, though you have to worry about cc. They have a website with an allergen chart. My daughter always gets the kid's meal with chicken and mashed potatoes, and has been okay so far.

We haven't gone to Burger King, so don't know. They have onion rings there, so their fries probably aren't safe.

mamaw Community Regular

cinnamon

The McDonald's grilled chicken salad is not ok any longer. We too used to love them for a quick meal. The chicken is flash frozen or glazed frozen which I'm told now contains gluten. sorry.

Lisa Mentor

Wendy's Gluten Free Listings:

Open Original Shared Link

McDonald's Gluten Free Listings:

Taco Bell Gluten Free Listings:

mmcdaniels Apprentice

I have found that even chains with safe items can vary a great deal. There are 2 Burger Kings near us. At each we have ordered a hamburger kids meal with fries with instructions that the hamburger can't touch a bun due to a severe food allergy. One has worked out great for us. The other is obviously less careful because my son has gotten very sick after eating there. Watch for cleanliness and how well they do at keeping the gluten free fries away from the unsafe onion rings.

Our best dining experience has been at Cheeseburger in Paradise but unfortunately the closest one is 2 hours away.

Chic-Fil-A Fries are good but my picky eater son won't touch the grilled chicken breast.

Cinnamon Apprentice

Noooooooooooooooooo, not the McDonald's salad!! Aargh!

Well, thanks for letting me know. Darn. That was the one thing everyone liked.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

We eat at Chick-fil-a quite a bit. We know the manager, so we feel comfortable there. I just found out last week that you can order a kids meal with grilled chicken nuggets. The only other places we eat are Pei Wei and Chipotle, and Outback for special occasions.

hippiegirl2001 Newbie
Chik-Fil-A has an extensive gluten free menu. You can get most of the fast food gluten free menus on line so you can be prepared ahead of time. outback and other restaurants have them also and many of their wait staff are very knowledgable about celiac disease.

Good luck!

I went to the Chik-Fil-A website, and under Gluten Free, all it has listed is the chicken fillet sandwich, which of course you have to eat without the bun. Am I missing something? Thanks

strawberrygm Enthusiast

please keep this thread going, and any one else with thoughts please chime in.

i cant swap my dd over to the diet until after her colonoscopy and biopsy, scheduled for june 14.

we live a very busy life right now, so eating out is sadly a regular for us.

all the tips/links/ideas you can share are most appreciated.

gfp Enthusiast
please keep this thread going, and any one else with thoughts please chime in.

i cant swap my dd over to the diet until after her colonoscopy and biopsy, scheduled for june 14.

we live a very busy life right now, so eating out is sadly a regular for us.

all the tips/links/ideas you can share are most appreciated.

All eating out is a risk.... fast food is always the biggest because of the way its prepared.

McDo vs burger king vs .... I just don't think holds any weight.

All of these companies at corporate level don't give two hoots about you or dd. McDo gets a lot of stick .. well because its McDo's... but it doesn't mean the others are not as bad...

McDo's (et al) do not sell a dining experience, they sell a 'product'. That product is just a product... and "guns don't kill people"...

In other words Winchester sell guns and bullets... its what they make. From their perspective what people do with hose products is down to the people that buy them but thier livelyhood depends on the maxim, guns don't kill people.

This doesn't make them evil... just human and self interested. The same director working for Ford or GM might be saying car's don't kill people drunk drivers do and its the breweries, pubs etc, to blame whilst saying but guns are a different matter and you can't compare a vehical with a product designed to kill someone.

McDo have a lot of money... and they seek to mislead but they are only effective because they are so big and people don't want to believe.

Your individual McDo or Wendy's is however managed by real people.... they can and often do care... but they still have deliberatly misleading corporate information.

These corporate companies are just doing what corporate companies do, protecting their market and creating shareholder value. They are not 'bad' or 'good', simply what they are...

So they change the salad, some people get sick? That's it... when people work for a corporation (and I have) you are two different people.. the one at work, doing a job and the one outside work. If you allow them to overlap you will mess up your career.... and hence ability to feed your family. (bottom line)

So what Im saying is having written scientific and analytical reports for corporations my JOB was to write those to give the impression something is safe (when perhaps it is not). The bottom line is the whole fast food environment is unsafe... but corporations can publish reports saying item X is safe ... and this simply detracts attention from the overall picture... FAST FOOD KITCHENS are not SAFE.

These companies have HUGE PR dept and budgets. What is presented is what we are meant to see. If corporation X feel it is to their advantage to be seen to be 'green' or helping kids in Africa they will make all effort to appear to be green or helping kids in Africa but they don't CARE... they only CARE what we think...

At one point in my life I was writing reports to give the impression climate change is nothing to do with man. I didn't believe this the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming but my JOB was to write those reports so it appeared this way. (While at home and outside work I would do my part). In the same way my boss also had the same opinion...

We like to think of corporations as 'people', hence the face of Ronald of the personalisation of Wendy's but corporations are simply financial assets, they have no feelingnor responsibility outside of making money for their shareholders.

Archived