This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Teeth And Gum Problems

Di-gfree

Di-gfree Apprentice

It's very depressing, I take really good care of my teeth, and I'm having gum problems. I developed burning mouth about a year ago (12 years after being diagnosed with celiac), and since then, my gums feel sore and inflamed on a regular basis. I've had gum recession and tooth sensitivity, plus wearing down of my enamel, for years now. And, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop it (besides use toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and brush lightly).

So, my dentist just informed me I have to have fillings (the white fillings - I'm not getting any more mercury fillings) put in along the roots of two teeth. I don't have any cavities, but she wants to cover it up to prevent bacteria from getting in. I'm nervous about drilling into the root, and causing more sensitivity. Anyone have problems with their gums?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

I've noticed that the gum area on my front teeth seem to be receding. I am putting off going to the dentist for all of the reasons you just mentioned. I have always had really good teeth, but I am not so sure now. I've never had a cavity, had more teeth pulled than any one person ever should, braces, list goes on. You would think I would be obsessive over them... but I'm worried they are going to tell me something horrible.

I will say though, the recession doesn't look like it's getting any worse.

turkeybird Rookie

I too have had gum recession. This started to happen when I was at the worst point with my gluten issues. My dentist really didn't have any explanation for it at the time. I have also had many problems with sores in my mouth and tooth sensitivity. All of this didn't start to clear up until I went gluten-free. The only thing that still bothers me is the gum recession, thought I don't know if it can be reversed.

Chris

Nancym Enthusiast

I had some gum issues and lots of tooth decay. But it's all gone away since I've adopted a Paleo diet. My hygienist tells me my mouth is now in amazing condition. Frankly, I think it was the grains, sugars and sticky sweet things like raisins and dried fruits that were causing the problems.

I hope you find your solution!

Di-gfree Apprentice

Thanks everyone. I'm sort of thinking it can't be reversed. I have a feeling it must have something to do with inability to absorb certain nutrients. And, if I take too many supplements, my burning mouth problems seem to get worse, so I have to take a break from them every now and then for a few days.

I made an appointment to see another dentist to get a second opinion - oh joy - two dentists in the span of a week. Plus, I have those filling appointments looming. It doesn't help when you have chronic anxiety problems, on top of it! Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
katebuggie28 Apprentice
Thanks everyone. I'm sort of thinking it can't be reversed. I have a feeling it must have something to do with inability to absorb certain nutrients. And, if I take too many supplements, my burning mouth problems seem to get worse, so I have to take a break from them every now and then for a few days.

I made an appointment to see another dentist to get a second opinion - oh joy - two dentists in the span of a week. Plus, I have those filling appointments looming. It doesn't help when you have chronic anxiety problems, on top of it! Thanks again.

My sister in law works at a dental office. ( I called her when I found out I had celiac disease, and she had no idea what it was My teeth have always been taken care of (brush twice-three times a day). My enamel is almost gone, and I have had numerous fillings and root canals. The other day I was outside and a friend of mine said to me that she could "see through" my teeth and that they had cracks in them.The dentist told me to use a senitive toothpaste, but only for 10 days. He told me to wait a week or so to use it again. He also said not to brush too hard. Flossing does help. i just learned the proper way to do it. I always thought that if the floss went all the way into your gums it was a bad thing. NOT True. You are supposed to floss into the rounding part of your gum. After awhile of this your gums will toughen up. If they bleed at first it's ok (it means you have gingivitis) after awhile you will notice the bleeding will stop. That is a good thing. Dont use alcohol based mouthwash. it drys out your mouth. Only chew sugar free gum too.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I agree that eating sticky/sweet and carby foods do this to your teeth. I rarely eat sweets including raisins/dried fruits (before gluten-free and now) and I just dont get plaque build up. There isnt much for the hygienist to do at the Dentist. My gums receded a bit on the front lower mainly. I dont have gingivitis. My gums dont bleed. So the recession was a puzzle to me. Then I learned I was brushing too "hard". They showed me how to brush right (and I got a softer toothbrush) and some of the gums have grown back.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 7 years later...
Ayr Newbie

At age 32, I was told I had severely receding gums and my dentist thought it was very odd. I had the burning mouth syndrome. I could barely eat anything with salt. Then I grew ill. I started to eat soda crackers and water and even that was causing pain in my stomach. One day my boss said, "maybe you have celiac disease."  I'd never heard of it. I stopped eating gluten and got tested. Of course, my tests came back negative, probably because I had not been eating gluten. My gastroenterologist couldn't figure it out and told me to stop looking at the Internet. Over time and without the gluten my inflamed gums, sore mouth and overall mouth sensitivity disappeared, as did my pain in my stomach, my joints and even my dry eye disease. Years passed and I started eating gluten again, ended up in the hospital with severe asthma. The allergist suggested another round of tests and we found I have celiac disease. Recently, I've been under a lot of stress and reached for my go to comfort food, bread. My gums are so inflamed that they even broke open. How stupid of me. But yes, gum inflammation is definitely a severe side effect of gluten for me. My whole mouth hurts and my teeth are now beyond sensitive. My tongue is getting that burning sensation back too. I'm pretty sure my throat is swollen as it is hard to swallow. I'm not quite sure why in the world I would do this to myself when I know what happens. Stay away from gluten folks!!! I know better. Shame on me. :( 

Archived