This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Irritability

WarrenW

WarrenW Newbie

Can someone confirm my suspicions in regards to a Gluten symptom. My wife is 38 years old and weighs around 95 lbs. I'm convinced that every time she mistakenly eats something containing Gluten, that it changes her personality and mood drastically. She becomes very irritable and gets very annoyed over the smallest thing. Is it only me or has anyone else experienced this as well. Your comments will help me to understand why she becomes like this for no legitimate reason at all. HELP

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Yes, irritability is certainly common amongst Celiacs. One of the reasons may be a magnesium deficiency. Many times this results in a craving for chocolate, as it has a notable amount of magnesium. Low body weight is also very common.

But, the larger question is if your wife is already gluten-free, or will try the gluten-free diet. That is the single best test.

Welcome to the board!

• 2 weeks later...
purple Community Regular

Hey thanks, now I know why my daughter can get grouchy so fast over little things. I thought it was b/c she gets hungry fast and needs to eat right away. She has always liked to argue but now I know why!

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

when I first started out gluten-free, extreme irritability over small insignificant things is my indicator that something went wrong in gluten free land :o) Now that I am gluten-free I don't have this problem anymore.

Hope your wife tries the gluten-free diet. Is she a celiac?

aikiducky Apprentice

If I accidentally ingest a trace of gluten, irritability is my first symptom, even before the gas and other digestive symptoms start. If I start to yell at my husband out of the blue he nowadays asks "what have you eaten?". :D

It's very unpleasant because I can't really control it, I don't want to be so angry at that moment, I just am. If you have family members with this symptom, please understand that they might not be able to control the irritability at times and they might feel really bad about how they are behaving.

I'm a happy and easy going person when I haven't had any gluten accidents. And I'm obsessively careful about even traces of gluten because I hate the way I feel when I've been glutened.

Oh, also worth mentioning: I get the same kind of symptoms (both mood & digestive) from cow's milk as well.

Pauliina

• 2 months later...
joyinc Newbie

i could have written some of these replies :( my celiac test didn't come back with anything thou. can gluten just make some angry even if you aren't celiac? i snap sometimes after eating gluten. for a few days at least

kbtoyssni Contributor
i could have written some of these replies :( my celiac test didn't come back with anything thou. can gluten just make some angry even if you aren't celiac? i snap sometimes after eating gluten. for a few days at least

Yes, you could be non-celiac gluten intolerant or a celiac who doesn't have enough damage to test positive yet. If you're noticing behavioral changes relating to gluten, it sounds like you have some issue with gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AMQmom Explorer

My two daughters are celiac. The first one diagnosed had all physical symptoms. My eldest daughter (7 years) was out of control or incredibly sweet. It was driving me crazy. I never would want her to be celiac if I had a choice, but before she was tested, I actually wished that she was celiac so we could treat her moods! Turns out she is celiac and when gluten free, we see the sweeter side of her. I suspect that she may be similar to the other person who wrote (at least I HOPE so) in that she may not be able to control her temperment when she is glutened. I keep hoping that because it makes little sense otherwise. She is soooo apologetic after episodes. While acting up, it is like she is a steam roller and can't hear any logic. She is so angry and argumentative. Hope this helps.

AMQmom Explorer

Oops - I forgot to add something to my last post that went with a question just asked. In my opinion, our digestive system really goes hand in hand with our emotional "system." Once both daughters were diagnosed celiac, we went gluten free in the house. I happen to have no colon (not celiac) and the difference in my abilities to process food and my moods, etc. has been incredible since gluten free. It showed me how hard we work to digest the everyday foods that are out there now!

Archived