4 replies to this topic

#1 Candy

Candy

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

:( Is it possible to have Lysosomal (Lipid) Storage Disorders along with Celiac ? Lipid storage disorders are usually deadly and kill in childhood or infancy,but I wonder if a person can have a less severe form of it along with Celiac ? It's when fats build up in the wrong places like organs and the brain. One is called Gauchers Disease another is called Niemann-Pick Disease. A few days ago I began to feel I had fat in my ACHING BRAIN AND MY LIVER and I wondered if it's a possiblity. I also felt this in December when I inquired about it from a referral place.These conditions usually affect Eastern European Jews,and some populations in Nova Scotia,and Spanish Puerto Rico that's what I read online-but they can affect anyone it it said.
I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

Well, the brain is supposed to be mostly water, but of the solid portion, apparently a fair amount is fat. The liver is important in the digestion of fats though. As I recall, it has something to do with the fact that the liver produces bile acids, which aid in the digestive process.

I'm curious though, how it is that you "feel" this build-up of fats? It might help if you can describe how your brain and body feel. There may very well be some food (or substance within) that is causing you the trouble.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 Candy

Candy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

Well, the brain is supposed to be mostly water, but of the solid portion, apparently a fair amount is fat. The liver is important in the digestion of fats though. As I recall, it has something to do with the fact that the liver produces bile acids, which aid in the digestive process.

I'm curious though, how it is that you "feel" this build-up of fats? It might help if you can describe how your brain and body feel. There may very well be some food (or substance within) that is causing you the trouble.

Well,the dictionary describes Celiac Disease as a fat malabsorption disease,so maybe the fat piles up in celiac brain or something,maybe its possible. I'll look into it and update ya.
I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

Well,the dictionary describes Celiac Disease as a fat malabsorption disease,so maybe the fat piles up in celiac brain or something,maybe its possible. I'll look into it and update ya.

Fat malabsorption is when the body passes fat out of the system without it being processed. It is not that the fat goes to areas where it shouldn't. I would suggest that you consult with a neurologist if you think you may be having some kind of brain related issues. Also simple blood tests can be done to check for a 'fatty' liver or liver damage. There is something we call brain fog when glutened that can make it hard to think, is this the 'fatty brain' feeling you are referring to? If so it is a part of celiac disease and will go away after the gluten antibodies are out of your system.

I also noted in your signature that you mentioned you need to get the TTG. Do be aware that you need to be on a full gluten diet for at least a couple months before the test is done. False negatives are also not uncommon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:21 AM

Lipid storage diseases are not associated with celiac disease, and if you had a true lipid storage disease it would have been apparent a long time ago. Even if it were asymptomatic for some outstanding reason, if would have been picked up by a CBC. If you feel like there is something going on in your body, then please find a doctor who will run some tests for you. I would make sure they include a CBC and a liver function panel.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: