This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ignorant Comments

Breila

mushroom Proficient

But thanks for bumping this up I Throughly enjoyed reading lol!

I read back a couple of posts and I did too :D A special sofa to sit on? Was she maybe thinking of a whoopee cushion? :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Monklady123 Collaborator

I realize that this is an old thread that was brought to the top, but I've still enjoyed -- in a perverse sort of way :blink: -- reading it.

I can understand the ordinary person who doesn't know what gluten is. However, I'm not quite as forgiving when I've said "wheat" and they then try to give me bread. Also, anyone working in the food service industry, or in medical, should know what I'm talking about.

My favorite line was the time I called a local pizza place to see if they had a gluten free crust. I said "hi, I just wanted to ask if you had a pizza with gluten free crust" and he replied "uh...glucose?" Thank you, and bye. (in contrast, the next place I called -- which I knew had a gluten free crust but I had called the first place because they were closer to my house -- said "oh yes, let me tell you how we make the gluten free pizza so that it's not cross-contaminated") :)

But the one that bothers me the most is the people who keep insisting, and insisting, and INSISTING that I eat. or they keep trying to figure out how we can arrange for something I can eat. Like at church events where a particular ministry team is sponsoring the meal. Or at the hospital -- my director did that recently for a lunch we had. I've finally learned to ask them "I said I am happy to bring my own lunch, and I actually prefer it because I'm sure then that I won't get sick...why does it bother you so much?" or some version of that. I do understand that they're trying to be hospitable, and I do appreciate it. But after awhile they just need to accept "no thank you."

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Gfgoddess Newbie

Once i called an airline a week in advance to inform them of my food intolerances, as they request you do to provide for you. I spent like an hour on the phone trying o explain what gluten is and they assured me i would have food on my flight. Halfway through my 11 hour flight, i was excited to receive a special tray with a sticker on the lid that said "No Gluten, No eggs, No Milk". I opened it to find an EGG SANDWICH and MILK.

Recently, a manager at the restaurant i work for went on a rant in front of me about how annoying people with gluten intolerances are and how they just shouldnt eat out ever because the world doesnt revolve around them. Wow.

And if i had a penny for every time i've heard "so you can have white bread you just cant have wheat bread?" or "are you like anorexic or something?"...

Once in high school, my friends (who were fully informed of my disease) invited me over for a baking party. I said "i think i will pass since i cant eat anything" but they insisted i come and that id have fun. As soon as i arrived, a flour fight broke out. Flour was flying everywhere! So ignorant.

The worst iis when someone tries so hard to feed me and they still dont get it right. Do you tell them thanks for all their trouble but i dont trust you? Or do you eat it with a smile and be miserable for days?

jeanzdyn Apprentice

I think this is more of a symbol of how far we are (as a society) from understanding what we eat. Few people cook from scratch, even fewer grow their own food.

Love the image of the googly eyed plants leaping out of the water to nip seeds from the waving fields of white.

"far from understanding what we eat." ?? Most people don't even read the labels on the foods they eat.

They have no idea that there is high fructose corn syrup in almost everything in the supermarket.

They don't have a clue that there is flour, or wheat, or glutenous stuff in so very many foods.

The first step in educating the general populace is teaching them to read the label!

I have had "digestive issues" for over 20 years and I started reading food product labels to try to find some kind

of common denominator for my digestive symptoms. At least I am used to reading the labels, so with this Celiac Disease

diagnosis being new to me, I have a pretty good idea what I am looking at when I read the labels.

jeanzdyn Apprentice

Recently I was assigned to order food for a meeting at our office. "sandwiches or pizza", yeah, and I was in the meeting too, so what was I going to eat for lunch? I made a pleasant discovery when I read the menu from Jimmy Johns subs ==

the "unwich" --a sandwich made with no bread, it is wrapped in a couple of lettuce leafs. I still miss the bread, but I am happy that I can order food for a crowd and get myself something from the same restaurant.

Skylark Collaborator

Old thread but perfectly up-to-date. :lol: One of these days I'm going to find a flour tree orchard and see where those 5-pound bags of white flour that somehow magically contains no wheat come from.

tbritt Rookie

I was planning my wedding and my mother-in-law was insistent upon getting a "glutton" free meal for me with the catered dinner from a barbecue joint in Fredericksburg, TX. No, Thanks! I'll just eat a PB&J on Udi's bread at the meal that will honor me and my new husband. John eventually talked her out of the catered meal. Then they made "gluten free" burgers and veggies on a grill at a B&B instead. (Still didn't eat it because there was gluten all around!) I had to wear a white dress the following day.

A friend of mine offered to make pasta with nothing on it when I visited her home. No, thank you.

I stayed with a woman who insisted on making a gluten free meal for me. It was ham with mashed potatoes and salad. I was thinking it must have been CC from the pan that made me sick. Maybe the ham flavorings. Whatever it was, I was sick for days.

The local "gluten free" place sells items with gluten free oat flour (without disclosing ingredients). If you call yourself a "gluten free" restaurant, please be knowledgeable of the fact that some people can't have oats!!!!!

More recently, I have come to dislike being at events and folks blessing food that I can't eat. I hate that. "God bless this pepperoni pizza." I don't believe in blessing food that will not sustain everyone around.

Every time I eat out is a gamble. I get sick most of the time. Most people don't understand that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Laurentru Newbie

My favorite comment of all time was:

Friend: So you can't have donuts right?

Me: No, no donuts.

Friend: What about chocolate donuts?

Me:....still no

Friend: Muffins?

Me: *sigh*

This is the friend (clearly not the greatest friend) who still to this day will invite me to hang out with her and then take me to a bakery and say, "oh yeah, are there gluten free things here? The cream puffs are really good!"

Adalaide Mentor

"You're just lucky it's not lupus, cause so-and-so has lupus and it's the bad kind."

.... there's a good kind of lupus? :blink:

tennisman Contributor

This week I heard a lot of bad comments . Including i'm uneducated about my disease when this person doesn't even have celiac disease , I wish I had a gun to shoot that person !

BrittLoves2Run Apprentice

Oh my...just..wow. I'm LOLing right now.

Thats as bad as people who try and tell me chicken and fish aren't meat (I'm a vegetarian).

I'm like what are fish, strange sea plants with googly eyes???

LOL!

When I used to tell people I was vegetarian and couldn't eat their meat they'd say "oh.. okay.. but you still eat chicken right?" UM.. DID IT HAVE A HEARTBEAT? No. People are idiots.

kaity Apprentice

i am a person that hardly eats cookies, i dont eat hamburgers when going out because personally i dont trust what they put in them, one time me and some close friends went out for lunch, and my son is celiac and they are all aware of that, so i got him frenchfries that they are gluten free, and some salad, and i ordered for me the same thing, they all started asking why dont you order burgers, or something else, but i told them that i dont like burgers (so they dont start trying to convince me to eat in that place and that they know what they put in the meat and so on, so i said that just to avoid and argument). The next thing i know while we were eating my son told me that he wants a hamburger so i told him that they are yucky, after all he was at the time only 30 months old and he doesnt understand if i tell him that they are not good for him, but if i tell him that tthey are yucky he wont ask for them again, so all of my friends started telling me "if you dont like something it doesnt mean you cant give it to your son".. I was so mad I was like "WHAT?" and they all know what his problem is, so i told them again that he cant have anything with gluten in it, so one of them said "i am sure that the cheese burgers dont have gluten in them", so i told them that the bread has gluten, and how it makes him sick, anyways, i was pregnant at the time, o i had to go to the lady's room, so i left my son with them for about 3 minutes and then we went home, that night my son kept crying, very bad diarrhea and vomitting , so i called one of my friends and she said that she had given him a piece of her hamburger just to see if anything happens to him but nothing happened so she gave him another piece.... i was so mad and started yelling telling her that my son is sick because of her... needless to say i dont hang out with any of them any more.. i mean you dont believe someone has a problem until you put them to a test????

tennisman Contributor

i am a person that hardly eats cookies, i dont eat hamburgers when going out because personally i dont trust what they put in them, one time me and some close friends went out for lunch, and my son is celiac and they are all aware of that, so i got him frenchfries that they are gluten free, and some salad, and i ordered for me the same thing, they all started asking why dont you order burgers, or something else, but i told them that i dont like burgers (so they dont start trying to convince me to eat in that place and that they know what they put in the meat and so on, so i said that just to avoid and argument). The next thing i know while we were eating my son told me that he wants a hamburger so i told him that they are yucky, after all he was at the time only 30 months old and he doesnt understand if i tell him that they are not good for him, but if i tell him that tthey are yucky he wont ask for them again, so all of my friends started telling me "if you dont like something it doesnt mean you cant give it to your son".. I was so mad I was like "WHAT?" and they all know what his problem is, so i told them again that he cant have anything with gluten in it, so one of them said "i am sure that the cheese burgers dont have gluten in them", so i told them that the bread has gluten, and how it makes him sick, anyways, i was pregnant at the time, o i had to go to the lady's room, so i left my son with them for about 3 minutes and then we went home, that night my son kept crying, very bad diarrhea and vomitting , so i called one of my friends and she said that she had given him a piece of her hamburger just to see if anything happens to him but nothing happened so she gave him another piece.... i was so mad and started yelling telling her that my son is sick because of her... needless to say i dont hang out with any of them any more.. i mean you dont believe someone has a problem until you put them to a test????

Wow that's terrible :( I can't believe people can even do such stupid things .

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

Kaity, that's a terrible story. I'm never going to leave my LO at a table with ppl who don't take celiac seriously - and sadly there are a lot of them. And it just highlights one of the most ignorant assumptions about celiac - that the reaction has to happen immediately and if nothing happens within a minute gluten can't be the issue. Le sigh.

Aly1 Contributor

Wow that is so offensive I have nothing to say! Speechless.

Archived