arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Cross-contamination At The Coffee Machine?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 parla

parla

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:28 AM

Hi everyone,

At work we have a pretty fancy automatic coffee machine that dispenses different types of coffee, milk (reconstituted from a powder), hot chocolate, and hot water. I got my hands on the packages of the milk and hot chocolate powder and sure enough "may contain traces of gluten". So I thought I was really smart only drinking black coffee but now I'm wondering if my inability to concentrate is caused by cross-contaminated coffee. All drinks are dispensed from the same spouts. It looks a bit like this one here: www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/prodimages/Saeco/saeco-primea-tp/touch-plus.jpg

Would it be enough to always run a hot water cycle before requesting my coffee?

This is my first post, and I am really grateful for any recommendations or advice you might have for me.

Thanks
parla

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

I would definately try running hot water through first. But I would also be concerned about how the powders fit into the machine and if chocolate powder gets carried into the coffee etc. Our machine was old but it was a standing joke that the tea had coffee in it, and the chocolate had tea etc.... Try a week without and see if you improve.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: