This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Questions, Feeling Kinda Lost...

mcs1984

mcs1984 Apprentice

Ok so this is what

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Can gluten cause constipation instead of loose stools?

Yes. Open Original Shared Link

"The vast majority of individuals with celiac disease have little in the way of gastrointestinal symptoms or have symptoms that may receive a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. While the classical symptoms include diarrhea, weight loss and edema, other patients may present with constipation, anemia, bone pain or bone loss, chronic fatigue, skin problems, abnormal liver chemistries, dental enamel defects and neurological symptoms such as peripheral neuropathy, ataxia or seizures. Some patients with celiac disease are truly asymptomatic or have symptoms related to an associated autoimmune problem."

Also: Open Original Shared Link

Until we have the scoop do you know if I can just keep him low gluten?

(the reason for this question is because we noticed that if he is low gluten or no gluten his behavior is a lot better, but when he has lot of gluten in a day we are having meltdowns left and right and some nasty fits.)

He needs to be eating a normal gluten containing diet (not low gluten) for the tests to see the damage. Otherwise, damage may heal and a false negative may be given.

"It is important to continue eating a normal, gluten-containing diet before being tested for celiac."

Open Original Shared Link

What is the for sure items we need to look for on packages when we are buying food?

Safe and unsafe lists: https://www.celiac.com/categories/Safe-Glut...3B-Ingredients/

Good companies/labels Open Original Shared Link

If he does come back negative and with us still going gluten free, should I still need to worry about cross contamination?

If you goal is to be 100% gluten free, then yes.

Archived