19 replies to this topic

#1 mroper

mroper

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

I thought I remember reading this was on the safe list....I read the package and the only thing that seems suspect is carmel color. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
Melissa
gluten free since 10/04
Tampa Bay, FL

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

Knorr will clearly disclose gluten. If you don't see it listed by the name of the grain, it isn't there. Caramel color is not a concern.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ballerina

ballerina

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

Knorr will clearly disclose gluten. If you don't see it listed by the name of the grain, it isn't there. Caramel color is not a concern.

does any one know if Tones chicken bouillon is gluten free

#4 Darissa

Darissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

Herb Ox boullion cubes are gluten-free. They say so right on the package. I can't find them at Walmart or Frys (Krogger store) buy Safeway here carries them. I don't know about Knorr. I was happy to find the Herb Ox. I love when products are actually labeled gluten-free. Makes shopping so much easier!!

#5 CelestialNav

CelestialNav

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Another thing that you have to pay attention to re: Knorr Bouillon and other Bouillons and Bouillon Cubes is that they are loaded with MSG. MSG is very bad for you. Also beware of "modified food starch" as this actually wheat starch which is a thickening agent.

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:02 AM

I've recently bought both Herb-Ox chicken and beef instant bouillon (not cubes) at my local WalMart Supercenter. Both jars say "Gluten Free" and "No MSG Added" on the front of the label. Since it's made by Hormel, they're one of the companies that are good about labeling their products.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:39 AM

Also beware of "modified food starch" as this actually wheat starch which is a thickening agent.

This is simply not true. While in theory, it could be wheat, in my experience it never is. In the US, it would be required by law to be labeled as "wheat."

Knorr is a Unilever brand, and Unilever (like Kraft, Con Agra, General Mills and others) will always clearly label any gluten-containing ingredient by naming the grain source.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

Another thing that you have to pay attention to re: Knorr Bouillon and other Bouillons and Bouillon Cubes is that they are loaded with MSG. MSG is very bad for you. Also beware of "modified food starch" as this actually wheat starch which is a thickening agent.

The comment about MFS is just flat-out wrong.

richard

#9 GFinminneapolis

GFinminneapolis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

It says caramel coloring on it though, I know it is supposed to be fine if made within the US but on the packaging it says "product of Mexico." I'm worried about using it!
Diagnosed in April 2012

#10 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

It says caramel coloring on it though, I know it is supposed to be fine if made within the US but on the packaging it says "product of Mexico." I'm worried about using it!

If its sold in the US, they must label wheat. Carmel coloring is not a concern in the US as far as gluten.

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

To repeat, Unilever will clearly disclose all gluten sources on the label. If you don't see the name of a gluten grain, the product is gluten-free.
Peter

#12 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

A friend of mine just sent me a little care package of what is supposed to be gluten-free foods. There is a box of Knorr vegetable bullion. One ingredient is autolyzed yeast extract. There is also a package of vegetable dip mix (Knorr). The vegetable dip mix says autolyzed yeast extract (barley). The bullion does not use the word barley. So, is this autolyzed yeast extract safe if it is not barley based? Very confusing!

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

To repeat, Unilever will clearly disclose all gluten sources on the label. If you don't see the name of a gluten grain, the product is gluten-free.

For the third time, Unilever will clearly disclose any gluten in any of their products. If you do not see a gluten grain named on the label, there is no gluten in the product. The product that mentions barley contains small amounts of gluten. The other product is gluten-free.
Peter

#14 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

I noticed a few months ago that the Chicken Knorr Bouillon Cubes are fine (the Knorr chicken powder has gluten) and the Beef cubes also have gluten. I had to go to a health food store to find gluten-free Beef Bouillon. Could be I was just confused. I will have to check it out next time I go shopping.
CANADIAN!

#15 bennl1

bennl1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

For the third time, Unilever will clearly disclose any gluten in any of their products. If you do not see a gluten grain named on the label, there is no gluten in the product. The product that mentions barley contains small amounts of gluten. The other product is gluten-free.

It is true, Unilever does mention the origin of the grain in their products, worldwide, which is exceptional.
However what they don't care about is that the gluten in their seasoning products ruins entire dishes for us.

Are the gluten in the seasoning products really necessary taste wise? That is the big question.
Could the same result not be achieved with non-gluten variations?

I hope companies like Unilever become more aware of our problems and will only use gluten when they are strictly necessary for the product.
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: