Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Jerking Awake At Night

18 posts in this topic

I have searched the forum and I haven't been able to find the same symptoms. This has been happening to me more frequently lately, but has happened occasionally in the past as well.

Just as you are falling off, or sometimes out of deep sleep, I experience a violent, one-second jerking moment of my whole body that wakes me up suddenly, as if I have just landed from a fall. These days they are not connected to dreams or nightmares that I can remember, and I usually remember.

The other night I wasn't even asleep yet, but just starting to shut my eyes.

I have just started eating gluten-free. I also have a host of other symptoms, like snoring sometimes (only lately since I held on to a sinus condition that started when I had bronchitis/pneumonia this past winter), restless legs, up several times to pee, but not as much lately.

But, this jerking awake motion has stayed. Any thoughts or recognition?

It's scary.

Ads by Google:

My husband, who is not celiac, has this problem when he eats anything with MSG.

I have searched the forum and I haven't been able to find the same symptoms. This has been happening to me more frequently lately, but has happened occasionally in the past as well.

Just as you are falling off, or sometimes out of deep sleep, I experience a violent, one-second jerking moment of my whole body that wakes me up suddenly, as if I have just landed from a fall. These days they are not connected to dreams or nightmares that I can remember, and I usually remember.

I have just started eating gluten-free. I also have a host of other symptoms, like snoring sometimes (only lately since I held on to a sinus condition that started when I had bronchitis/pneumonia this past winter), restless legs, up several times to pee, but not as much lately.

It's scary.

don't worry...it is a narural thing that happens to many people when they are about to fall asleep. Both my boyfriend and my x-boyfriend kept having that and they definately are not celiacs. It doesn't have to do with gluten at all

I had this problem prior to celiac diagnoses. it was so bad that they treated me for some type of Parkinsons. It didn't go away until I went gluten free. It takes a little time but after being gluten-free many of the symptoms you mentioned change or disappear.

good luck!

Ken

It's scary.

kahleemehrah Meline tee kahnehteh?

I did have bad shakes that was only from Gluten. Mostly at night and sometimes waking me up. One time my body threw itself off the bed! Sometimes during the day when I was awake. I can remember one time my leg shaking so much I couldnt focus my eyes on it! After gluten-free, it all went away!

adio

ken

don't worry...it is a narural thing that happens to many people when they are about to fall asleep. Both my boyfriend and my x-boyfriend kept having that and they definately are not celiacs. It doesn't have to do with gluten at all

kahleemehrah Meline tee kahnehteh?

I did have bad shakes that was only from Gluten. Mostly at night and sometimes waking me up. One time my body threw itself off the bed! Sometimes during the day when I was awake. I can remember one time my leg shaking so much I couldnt focus my eyes on it! After gluten-free, it all went away!

adio

ken

Hello there!!!! kahleemehrah to you too!!!!!!!!!! I am great thank you!!!

You had that kind of reaction??? I never did....so our new friend may feel confused....she will just have to find out on her own if it is from gluten or not!!!!

shaking leg? soundS great for dancing......LOL!! Good for you you stopped having that after going gluten-free. (nice avatar......!!!!)

geia sou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to get the restless legs which went away after going gluten-free, but I still have and have always had the jerking awake thing which I think is a pretty natural thing, it also happens to my fiance who is far from gluten intolerant.

Hope this helps

HI Meline

Its too bad I couldnt dance with shaking legs -- maybe I could invent new dance :D

I think the symptoms are so different for everyone. I wonder what causes so many different symptoms for the same disease.

I think I read there are more than 200 different symptoms for celiac.

The avatar is Dr. Ochanamizu. In the old Japanese cartoon Astro Boy. Some of my friends there call me that since my hair sticks out like his. I'm just glad my nose is not that big <G>

Oh its late already!

kahleeneektah

ken

Hello there!!!! kahleemehrah to you too!!!!!!!!!! I am great thank you!!!

You had that kind of reaction??? I never did....so our new friend may feel confused....she will just have to find out on her own if it is from gluten or not!!!!

shaking leg? soundS great for dancing......LOL!! Good for you you stopped having that after going gluten-free. (nice avatar......!!!!)

geia sou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's scary.

Anti-depressants (even St. John's Wort) will cause this reaction in some people

OK, thanks very much for the feedback everyone. I have had it happening more frequently and more violently than in the past, so I thought it was related to my other symptoms and a form of sleep apnea. But, I have also been anxious and maybe this is another manifestation of it.

Thanks for your help.

For those of us like me that love trivia :lol: , that phenonmenon it called a hypnic jerk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

A hypnic or hypnagogic jerk is an involuntary muscle twitch (commonly known as a myoclonic twitch) which occurs during the transition into hypnagogia. It is often described as an electric shock or falling sensation, and can cause movement of the body in bed. Hypnic jerks are experienced by most people, especially when exhausted or sleeping uncomfortably.

If you have been sleep deprived or your sleep is otherwise disturbed, you will be more likey to experience them.

Thanks for the cool trivia cruelshoes. I'm fond of trivia myself, but I think I found the source of my recent problem, and it is celiac disease related. You were all on target as well and I very much appreciate your input, but I didn't describe my latest symptom clearly enough as a spasm. It is somewhat confounding, because I've had the episodes described on this thread in the past, but there was something different about the two latest episodes, and especially the last one where I wasn't even asleep yet. That's because they were more like spasms. I need to get myself some calcium pills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetany_(medical_sign)

Tetany is a medical sign, the involuntary contraction of muscles, caused by diseases and other conditions that increase the action potential frequency. The muscle cramps caused by the disease tetanus are due to a blocking of the inhibition to the neurons that supply muscles and are not classified as tetany.

When the membrane potential is upset, for instance by low levels of ions (such as calcium) in the blood (hypocalcaemia), neurons will depolarize too easily. In the case of hypocalcaemia, calcium ions are drawn away from their association with the voltage-gated sodium channels thus sensitising them. The upset to membrane potential is therefore caused by an influx of sodium to the cell, not directly by the hypocalcaemia. As a result, too many action potentials are sent to muscles causing spasm.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9063935

Tetany is a rare form of presentation of adult celiac disease. We present three patients with spontaneous episodes of tetania who were finally diagnosed of celiac disease. All were women. In two of them an unexplained chronic anemia was previously detected. The origin of tetania was severe hypocalcemia and hypomagnesemia. After intravenous restoration of calcium and posterior free gluten diet with supplements, clinical and biological remission was achieved. In the presence of isolated tetania or unexplained anemia resistant to treatment an adult celiac disease must be disclosed.

ugh i hate it when you jerk awake like that. i dont get it very often though, although my boyfriends mum had an operation last year and her heart stopped during it, afterwards the doctor asked her if she jerked awake often when falling to sleep, she said sometimes and they were like ahhhh!!! thats why!!...thought that was strange! :P

This happens to me ALL the time - my arm, leg, or even entire body will spasm. They have diagnosed it as restless legs syndrome, but now I am wondering if it might be celiac related. MAybe with the continuance of a gluten free diet I will see some changes. Since I was just diagnosed a week ago, it's too soon to tell. I tried ALL of the medicines for restless legs syndrome and none seemed to help at all. Probably because the underlying cause is the celiac. I'm glad I found this site.

I get this all the time when I eat sugar or things that can be converted to sugar too late at night.

I used to get this quite often, and severely - even leaping straight up off the bed.

Now, since taking a magnesium supplement, it seems to be gone. Though I also take a methylcobalamin (B12) supplement, and this is also good for nerves and muscles.

Thanks Rice Guy, and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I increased my intake of calcium and magnesium, and all seems to be fine now.

Pleasant dreams.