17 replies to this topic

#1 Calicoe

Calicoe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

I have searched the forum and I haven't been able to find the same symptoms. This has been happening to me more frequently lately, but has happened occasionally in the past as well.

Just as you are falling off, or sometimes out of deep sleep, I experience a violent, one-second jerking moment of my whole body that wakes me up suddenly, as if I have just landed from a fall. These days they are not connected to dreams or nightmares that I can remember, and I usually remember.

The other night I wasn't even asleep yet, but just starting to shut my eyes.

I have just started eating gluten-free. I also have a host of other symptoms, like snoring sometimes (only lately since I held on to a sinus condition that started when I had bronchitis/pneumonia this past winter), restless legs, up several times to pee, but not as much lately.

But, this jerking awake motion has stayed. Any thoughts or recognition?

It's scary.
-First overt but unrecognized symptoms after reintroducing dairy and wheat to my diet after a 2-month absence, 2002.
-First appearance of chronic aphthous stomatiti, 2002.
-Giardia infection and treatment with albenzole, 2005.
-Persistent symptoms and treated for Giardia again with Flagyl twice (without testing), 2006.
-Dx milk allergy from a blood test, April 2007.
-Also presented for anemia, high white blood cell count, and candida in the same test. Dx IBS, April 2007.
-Response to diet and self-diagnosis through overwhelming symptoms and possible genetic link (hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia runs in the family), April 2008
-Currently learning to go gluten-free (April 2008), and coping with new sensitivities.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

My husband, who is not celiac, has this problem when he eats anything with MSG.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#3 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

I have searched the forum and I haven't been able to find the same symptoms. This has been happening to me more frequently lately, but has happened occasionally in the past as well.

Just as you are falling off, or sometimes out of deep sleep, I experience a violent, one-second jerking moment of my whole body that wakes me up suddenly, as if I have just landed from a fall. These days they are not connected to dreams or nightmares that I can remember, and I usually remember.

I have just started eating gluten-free. I also have a host of other symptoms, like snoring sometimes (only lately since I held on to a sinus condition that started when I had bronchitis/pneumonia this past winter), restless legs, up several times to pee, but not as much lately.

It's scary.

don't worry...it is a narural thing that happens to many people when they are about to fall asleep. Both my boyfriend and my x-boyfriend kept having that and they definately are not celiacs. It doesn't have to do with gluten at all
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

#4 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

I had this problem prior to celiac diagnoses. it was so bad that they treated me for some type of Parkinsons. It didn't go away until I went gluten free. It takes a little time but after being gluten-free many of the symptoms you mentioned change or disappear.
good luck!
Ken

It's scary.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

kahleemehrah Meline tee kahnehteh?
I did have bad shakes that was only from Gluten. Mostly at night and sometimes waking me up. One time my body threw itself off the bed! Sometimes during the day when I was awake. I can remember one time my leg shaking so much I couldnt focus my eyes on it! After gluten-free, it all went away!

adio
ken

don't worry...it is a narural thing that happens to many people when they are about to fall asleep. Both my boyfriend and my x-boyfriend kept having that and they definately are not celiacs. It doesn't have to do with gluten at all

Japanese proverb

#6 MELINE

MELINE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

kahleemehrah Meline tee kahnehteh?
I did have bad shakes that was only from Gluten. Mostly at night and sometimes waking me up. One time my body threw itself off the bed! Sometimes during the day when I was awake. I can remember one time my leg shaking so much I couldnt focus my eyes on it! After gluten-free, it all went away!

adio
ken

Hello there!!!! kahleemehrah to you too!!!!!!!!!! I am great thank you!!!

You had that kind of reaction??? I never did....so our new friend may feel confused....she will just have to find out on her own if it is from gluten or not!!!!

shaking leg? soundS great for dancing......LOL!! Good for you you stopped having that after going gluten-free. (nice avatar......!!!!)

geia sou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

#7 MDRB

MDRB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

I used to get the restless legs which went away after going gluten-free, but I still have and have always had the jerking awake thing which I think is a pretty natural thing, it also happens to my fiance who is far from gluten intolerant.
Hope this helps
Australian
Gluten Free Since mid March 2008
As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

#8 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:43 PM

HI Meline
Its too bad I couldnt dance with shaking legs -- maybe I could invent new dance :D
I think the symptoms are so different for everyone. I wonder what causes so many different symptoms for the same disease.
I think I read there are more than 200 different symptoms for celiac.
The avatar is Dr. Ochanamizu. In the old Japanese cartoon Astro Boy. Some of my friends there call me that since my hair sticks out like his. I'm just glad my nose is not that big <G>

Oh its late already!
kahleeneektah
ken

Hello there!!!! kahleemehrah to you too!!!!!!!!!! I am great thank you!!!

You had that kind of reaction??? I never did....so our new friend may feel confused....she will just have to find out on her own if it is from gluten or not!!!!

shaking leg? soundS great for dancing......LOL!! Good for you you stopped having that after going gluten-free. (nice avatar......!!!!)

geia sou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Japanese proverb

#9 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

It's scary.

Anti-depressants (even St. John's Wort) will cause this reaction in some people
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#10 Calicoe

Calicoe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:16 AM

OK, thanks very much for the feedback everyone. I have had it happening more frequently and more violently than in the past, so I thought it was related to my other symptoms and a form of sleep apnea. But, I have also been anxious and maybe this is another manifestation of it.

Thanks for your help.
-First overt but unrecognized symptoms after reintroducing dairy and wheat to my diet after a 2-month absence, 2002.
-Persistent symptoms and treated for Giardia again with Flagyl twice (without testing), 2006.
-Also presented for anemia, high white blood cell count, and candida in the same test. Dx IBS, April 2007.
-Response to diet and self-diagnosis through overwhelming symptoms and possible genetic link (hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia runs in the family), April 2008
-Currently learning to go gluten-free (April 2008), and coping with new sensitivities.

#11 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

For those of us like me that love trivia :lol: , that phenonmenon it called a hypnic jerk.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Hypnic_jerk

A hypnic or hypnagogic jerk is an involuntary muscle twitch (commonly known as a myoclonic twitch) which occurs during the transition into hypnagogia. It is often described as an electric shock or falling sensation, and can cause movement of the body in bed. Hypnic jerks are experienced by most people, especially when exhausted or sleeping uncomfortably.

If you have been sleep deprived or your sleep is otherwise disturbed, you will be more likey to experience them.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#12 Calicoe

Calicoe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the cool trivia cruelshoes. I'm fond of trivia myself, but I think I found the source of my recent problem, and it is celiac disease related. You were all on target as well and I very much appreciate your input, but I didn't describe my latest symptom clearly enough as a spasm. It is somewhat confounding, because I've had the episodes described on this thread in the past, but there was something different about the two latest episodes, and especially the last one where I wasn't even asleep yet. That's because they were more like spasms. I need to get myself some calcium pills.

http://en.wikipedia...._(medical_sign)

Tetany is a medical sign, the involuntary contraction of muscles, caused by diseases and other conditions that increase the action potential frequency. The muscle cramps caused by the disease tetanus are due to a blocking of the inhibition to the neurons that supply muscles and are not classified as tetany.

When the membrane potential is upset, for instance by low levels of ions (such as calcium) in the blood (hypocalcaemia), neurons will depolarize too easily. In the case of hypocalcaemia, calcium ions are drawn away from their association with the voltage-gated sodium channels thus sensitising them. The upset to membrane potential is therefore caused by an influx of sodium to the cell, not directly by the hypocalcaemia. As a result, too many action potentials are sent to muscles causing spasm.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9063935

Tetany is a rare form of presentation of adult celiac disease. We present three patients with spontaneous episodes of tetania who were finally diagnosed of celiac disease. All were women. In two of them an unexplained chronic anemia was previously detected. The origin of tetania was severe hypocalcemia and hypomagnesemia. After intravenous restoration of calcium and posterior free gluten diet with supplements, clinical and biological remission was achieved. In the presence of isolated tetania or unexplained anemia resistant to treatment an adult celiac disease must be disclosed.

#13 monkeypuss

monkeypuss

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

ugh i hate it when you jerk awake like that. i dont get it very often though, although my boyfriends mum had an operation last year and her heart stopped during it, afterwards the doctor asked her if she jerked awake often when falling to sleep, she said sometimes and they were like ahhhh!!! thats why!!...thought that was strange! :P

#14 citykatmm

citykatmm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

This happens to me ALL the time - my arm, leg, or even entire body will spasm. They have diagnosed it as restless legs syndrome, but now I am wondering if it might be celiac related. MAybe with the continuance of a gluten free diet I will see some changes. Since I was just diagnosed a week ago, it's too soon to tell. I tried ALL of the medicines for restless legs syndrome and none seemed to help at all. Probably because the underlying cause is the celiac. I'm glad I found this site.

#15 Caletara

Caletara

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:08 AM

I get this all the time when I eat sugar or things that can be converted to sugar too late at night.
Diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel/Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 01/06
Diagnosed with TMJ/07
Diagnosed with blood test to gluten, wheat and brewer's yeast delayed food allergy 01/08.
Gluten free since 01/08.
Diagnosed with Vitamin D insufficiency 01/08
Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel/Thoracic Outlet Syndrome repealed and attributed to gluten allergy 1/08
Diagnosed with Candida 03/25/08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: