#1 heavy

heavy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:03 AM

Hi Everyone,
I dont know if this will help anyone or not. I have found out thru the health department that i can get help buying gluten-free foods. Since my daughter has been put on a gluten free diet. The WIC office said that i could get up to 200.00 a month in help buying her special foods. There is a process to go thru but any help would be greatly needed. It is almost like food stamps but you order the foods you want from a catalog and pick it up at the health department. This program is based on how many his in your home and how much gross income you make. For a family of 6 like mine the limit is 4000.00 gross a month. My daughter no longer get WIC because she is 6 but they are still going to help me.
I didn't know how many people knew about this so I hope I was able to help. If there is anyone who is getting foods already can you let me know what kind of foods are in the book. I haven't got approved just yet. I should know something by the end of may to the 1st of june.
When you can look back at the end of the day and can find one thing to smile about then you know you have had a GREAT DAY!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,766 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:17 AM

This is fantastic to know. The WIC program is a good one and I am glad to hear that this program doesn't cut off at age 6 or so. Many also don't know that programs like WIC and this one you mention are not just for those on 'Social Services'. If you would know of a web site that folks can get more info from that would be really helpful. Thanks so much for posting this, it may be a big help to many.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: