This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rapid Heart Rate

mela14

mela14 Enthusiast

Now that I know about gluten and what is has been doing to my body I realize that a lot of symptoms that I have/had can be traced back to food.

It seems that whenever I eat something offensive I get a bunch of different reactions. I guess I am starting to take better notice...which is good. Before, I would just blame it on something else or just let the doctors convince me that it was a bunch of different things. The one that gets me is......"you have a lot of anxiety or stress". I very clearly remember telling them that "this is not how stress manifests itself with me". But of course they dismissed it as a new way of anxiety showing up in body.

I realize now that when I eat certain foods that have gluten or some other offending ingredient I get a bunch of symptoms. Immediately I feel ill..nausea, stomach pain and bloating. I am also realizing that I get a rapid heart rate! Does this happen to anyone else? Sometimes it is soooooooo fast that I can't get it to calm down. My internist gave me Inderal to take when it flared up. But we never got to the bottom of why it was happening.

yesterday it happened after eating some "safe' white rice and steamed chicken from the chinese restaraunt. I was sooo sick. Someone on this board pointed out that it could hage been cooked with chicken broth. That could probably be so as you never really know what they do in their kitchen.

Well, tonight I bought some fresh fish from the store. I've had their fish before and haven't had a problem. I tried a new type of fillet and there was a label on it ..."previously frozen". That raised suspicion. I spoke with a gentleman at the counter that was weighing the fish and he said that it was fresh and that there weren't any preservatives. he said that he checked the box that it came in and that it DID NOT have any additives or chemicals. it comes from the main store frozen but no chemicals. Dumb me..... I gave it a shot. I pan seared it and skeptically tried a little.

Sure enough a half hour later my heart starts racing and I am feeling it in the gut already. I just didn't feel right about eating it and literally had a few forkfuls and stopped.

where do we go to get some FRESH food!?

has anyone else had this sort of reaction? There were times that I took medication that did the same thing and then made me sick for days!

Well, as for tonight...what's done is done. I'll have to wait the night out and see what happens but as I right this the gut is starting up already.

Why are we sooooooooooo sensitive?

I am so exhausted from al this and just want o have a normal meal with no reaction!...amen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I am THAT sensitive as well. Horrible isn't it...? <_<

My only gluten reactions were from contamination and one was sunscreen! My reactions have included nausea, diarrhea, explosive gas, extreme bloating (it looks like I am pregnant), and mild to severe pain in the upper middle stomach region. I get heart palpitations (irregular heatbeats), but I don't know if they are related to gluten injestion or not.

It seems like the teeniest, tiniest molecule of gluten that makes it's way into my body destroys my digestive tract. Oh and I mean destroy! And when I get a reaction it is sometimes very hard to pinpoint what caused the reaction. It is usually ALWAYS contamination and I have to think, what did I eat today that could have been contaminated? It gets annoying...

Some of us are more sensitive than others and I guess that we are the sensitive ones.

mela14 Enthusiast

Hi medaka,

so what do you eat? I haven't had a day yet that I can say my gut is finally deflated and calm. right now I am so sore form my fish dinner. Showed hubby my tummy and he said "wow....and you hardly even ate....it's really swollen..more that yesterday".

I lied on the couch and had pain in the gut....which worked it's way down low. It feels inflamed. I am sooooooooo sore. maybe I shouldn't eat for a few days just to get things to settle down. The thing is....I get hungry! and I really try to watch what I eat. I don't pick...I have my 3 meals....that's it...and I make a conscious effort as to what I put in my mouth. So far I'm still reacting. I probably need to educate myself more and get better at food scrutinization.

how long did it take for you to feel better. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Last week I went on a rampage and threw out all the precription meds I had in the med cabinet! I just didn't want to take anymore chances with drugs. I had been getting reactions to so many of them. Even if they supposedly didn't contain gluten. Something in them irritated me......again because we are sooooo sensitive! so I guess I have to sort of do the same with food. Just eliminate things from my list of foods that I eat. Maybe just narrow it down. to a few things for a while. If only my gut would simmer down and feel normal for a day. i pray each morning that I awake the sweeling and bloating will be less.n Sometimes it is but then something will flare it again during the day. It's been a long time that I can say all is calm....and flat!

I know what you mean about the pregnant look!! sometimes I have to wear a loose blouse to camaflouge.

As for the racing heart....I know that's an allergic reaction symptom so maybe it's the same for an intolerance. just me 2 cents.

let's pray tomorrow is better for both of us.

take care,

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I always had problems with "safe" food until I literally watched everything I ate.

I went down to only drinking water (that's right, nothing else -- not even juice or anything)

Then, I bough new pans and pots (threw out the old ones) and I bought a casserole dish -- I use this more than anything else!!!.

I also bought a new toaster and THOROUGHALLY cleaned my microwave, oven, and countrtops.

I started with a nutritionists recommendation. She told me to start with simple things and add to my diet gradually (it sucks, but I felt 100% better in a week).

I started with potatoes and plain rice (some celiacs have problems with rice, but I don't) The potatoes were plain and baked.

I also had steamed frozen spinach.

For my protein, I ate baked chicken breasts (olive oil, salt and pepper, juice of a lemon) -- bake it 350 covered for 1 hour or so...

I ate that for every meal for almost 2 weeks (varyin in ize -- it sucks at breakfast, but I felt better).

After 2 weeks, I added things into my diet. Some things went well, some didn't.

You will slowly figure it out.

I still drink an insane amount of water (10-12 glasses a day). I also drink OJ and some other fruit drinks. Wine is my alcohol (good ole fermented grape juice).

Anyway, I hope this helps....it takes discipline, but it worked for me.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

mela14,

let's pray tomorrow is better for both of us.

I aggree! Thanks!

For Breakfast I usually eat gluten-free Lifestream Natural Buckwheat Wildberry Waffles, an organic banana, and 100% grapejuice.

For Lunch I usually have leftovers from supper the night before, rice cakes and Kraft peanut butter, EnviroKidz Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs Cereal (Plain), canned pears, organic carrotes (plain), or gluten free and lactose free boost.

For Supper, I usually have Tinkyada brown rice noodles with homemade pasta sauce or a mainstream pasta sauce (I'm trying to eat all homemade pasta sauce now), Stir fries with rice (Chinese Nappa and beef, sweat and sour chicken, and vegetable) I use VH soy sauce, meat + potatoes / carrotes / squash / peas / corn / turnip whatever is around the house, vegetable casserole with rice, Homemade gluten-free chilli...

For snacks I usually have Humpty Dumpty Tortilla chips with gluten-free salsa, Valleyfield fries, and gluten-free popcorn.

I've gotten reactions to lays products, suncreen, "gluten free" food from the Outback Steakhouse (I have never gone back), a bagged salad, a contaminated carrot (I should have known better on that one <_< ) and probably a few others that I haven't been able to pinpoint yet.

mela14 Enthusiast

Thanks for both your replies. I will have to take it slowly and carefully plan and inspect all that I eat.

While working with a dietician and keeping a journal I discovered that soy does the same thing that gluten does! Whether it's the barley enzymes in there or just plain soy....i really don't know but will NEVER have it again!

I found that peanut butter and almond butter both did me in! Eggs and dairy made me sooooooo sick! So ...it's like I was being hit from so many different angles. I did the York food allergy test and all of those items came back positive for food intolerance as well as a others. So, now I am trying to get it right. I try so hard to eat more and try different things but I think that t this point instead of adding things I should just be eliminating the things that bother me. Once I feel better then I can start to vary my diet. Worrying about not getting enough vitamins I added a supplement that did me in too. So.......vitamins are out as well. I just can't handle them now....no sense to keep tryng different ones and put myself through this torture. right now I have to heal. For lunch I just had some leftover chicken (that I sauteed at home), fresh tomatoe with olive oil and some baby green salad with olive oil. I hope everything will be ok. Today I am walking around like a zombie in pain from yesterday's dinner. I'm sure this will take a few more days to heal. Depending on how I feel from lunch...I'll see what I can have for dinner. Loose pants and top today...I'm tired of this being so constant. I just want one day of a repreive from all this so that I can get recharged to face what lies ahead.

Thanks to all of you for helping and sharing your experiences. At least I don't feel alone.

OH>>>>>>>>>>medaka... I noticed that you have buckwheat waffles for breakfast....I tired some gluten-free hot cereal and I mmediately became ill. It was violent!!! I checked the ingredients...and it had buckwheat in it besides the rice and corn. I'm ok with the latter but buckwheat is another story! When I got my food allergy results back the first thing on the list was BUCKWHEAT!!! Talk about being ultra sensitive!

and bronco.......I'm down to water to! I can't have anything else....forget OJ. It kills me and irritates me for days.....I think I might take your advise for the next few weeks.....baked chicken (that I make.. so there's no garbage in it) and a baked potatoe or white rice. I can't do brown rice...it's to stressful on my body!

Ok.........gotta go now. I need to start packing as I am moving in a few weeks!

thanks again,

rmmadden Contributor

I get a rapid heart rate if I get "Glutened". I usually get a large amount of belching, too. It definitely scared me at first because I didn't understand why it was happening. I really have to focus on my relaxation breathing to try and calm myself down. Afterward I am usually tired from the adrenaline let-down.

Best of luck!

Cleveland Bob :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mela14 Enthusiast

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your response. At least I don't feel that I am the only one with all these peculiar symptoms. I'm sure that the rapid heart rate must be an allergic response. At first I didn't know what was going on. It starts about 20-30 mins after I eat something either with gluten or some other food intolerance that I have. Even if I try deep breathing excercises it does not help. I usually have to take medication. It beats so fast that I usually get dizzy and light headed too. I keep ativan and inderal on hand.

Take care,

KLTerry Apprentice

I've been having heart palpitations a lot recently. I talked to my primary care phys, and she said that my heart sounded, fine, but I can feel it beating heard in my chest sometimes. I bet it's because of gluten. It's funny how many symptoms that I'm realizing are related to celiac disease. I was starting to think that I was a MAJOR hypychondriac. So, the gas, the bloating, the gastritis, the weak legs, the heart palpitations, the depression, stress and extreme anxiety, the mood swings, the constipation AND diarrea (go figure) and many other things that I am now relating to celiac disease. Even the inability to walk during the beginning of my second pregnancy, I believe was celiac disease related. Now, it seems that everything in my body hurts, joints, bones, etc. I need to see a dietician so that I can get better at being gluten-free. Anybody else having these symptoms?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Have you been checked for any thyroid issues? My dad gets palpitations at night and wakes up and usually gets a drink or something and goes back to bed and they found out he has hypothyroid. Thyroid disease can come with celiac. I have hypothyroid as well and I get palpitations sometimes as well and my doctor says my heart is very good. It could in fact be from ingesting gluten. I usually get them if I accidentally have something I should not have had. But it's also worth a check of your thyroid because that can also cause heart palpitations.

mela14 Enthusiast

I definately get those sypmtoms ater eating gulten! or something else that my body doesn't tolerate! It's like my by body is screaming and going into shock.

It took me a loooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg time to start to understand what was going on! t least we are all on the right track. Gluten is the DEVIL in disguise!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

KLTerry,

I get heart palpitations as well, once I got them so bad that I went into outpatients to make sure it was normal and that my heart was ok. I got so annoyed at the heart palpitations that I did a bunch of research on the net and found that, calcium, magnesium, and potassium may help. I've been taking calcium and magnesium supplements, a daily multi-vitamin, and I've been eating bananas (potassium) to reduce the heart palpitations. So far it has been working! I get mild palpitations after I drink a lot of pop or if I'm stressed but other than that they have settled out!

Archived