This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Natural Healing Alternatives

jasuko1

jasuko1 Newbie

Two days ago I had an endoscopy, which found irritation in my esophagus and

stomach, AND I found out that my celiac genetic test came back. I have

both the DQ2 and DQ8 genes. That, along with the vast improvement that

resulted from my gluten-free diet, means that I officially have celiac

disease. I am relieved to at least know for sure. Now I can get my sons

tested.

The dr. prescribed three medications for me, Prilosec (reduces stomach

acid), Creon (digestive enzyme), and Misoprostol (helps produce

prostoglandin, which increases mucus in the stomach). The thing is, I am

(and have been for a very long time) devoted to natural healing. These

drugs have side effects, like diarrhea, dizziness, and more, that I don't

want to take a chance on. My mother, my brother and sister-in-law, and my

best friend (and her entire extended family) are my natural healing

support group. They all feel the same way about medications. My mother's

husband is a Chiropractor, so he's on the same page, too.

I know I have already started the healing process, because of how much

better I feel. I have read that it can take older adults as much as two

years to heal, but it can be done. My thinking is that adding medicinal

side effects is counterproductive, but adding healing supplements is

beneficial.

I am looking for natural supplements that could substitute for the above

medications, and a supplement source that is gluten-free. Any

encouragement or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jackie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I suggest taking a homeopathic remedy called Nux Vomica instead of the Prilosec. One excellent enzyme is called Wobenzyme (there are others, but this is one of the best). I am not sure what to replace the Misoprostol with, but I am sure somebody else would know.

I suggest seeing a naturopathic doctor, as they will have natural solutions to all your problems.

Some of your remaining symptoms may be caused by dairy or soy. In order to heal it might be best to eliminate those, at least for a while.

gfmolly Contributor

tested.

beneficial.

Jackie

jhow32000 Rookie

My whole family found out we are celiac around the same time. We did the specific carbohydrate diet for a year without taking meds. It is a gut healing diet that is highly effective and which can be modified as long as you follow that basic tenant of eating only what is highly nutritious and easily digested. I highly recommend this diet.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I would most assuredly avoid the acid blocker unless you've had your stomach acid checked. Most folks (Americans anyway) have low stomach acid, and lowering it further will make you even more challenged to digest your food and get any good out of it. I have skimmed a book called "Why Stomach Acid is Good For You", and it is pretty compelling.

Digestive enzymes and betain HCI can help with digestion issues; probiotics a bit farther down the pipe help out with digestion. I'm like you; I avoid pharmaceuticals. They often have worse side effects than the thing they purport to "cure".

Good luck.

Oh yeah - lemon juice or apple cider vinegar at the starts of meals will increase your stomach acid. If this causes you problems, then you can figure that too little stomach acid may not be an issue for you. Most heartburn is caused by a lazy sphincter between your esophagus and stomach, letting the absolute acid environment of the tummy (required for digestion) seep into the delicate esophagus.

frec Contributor

I agree. I was on Prevacid for a couple of years for reflux that had actually damaged my vocal cords. I'm a teacher, so it was a big problem. I think it was a mistake, especially since it interferes with digestion of calcium and magnesium, and celiacs tend to get osteoporosis. I am now on digestive enzymes and betaine HCl and it works as well, or better, than the Prevacid.

Respira Apprentice

I was on prilosec for 2 years, then it stopped working so they bumped me up to protonix for another 3 years. This was all before I found out I had celiac disease. After being gluten free for about 2 months, I weaned myself off the medications I had been dependent on for over 5 years. The protonix cost $130 for a 30 day supply. I sure don't miss shelling that $$ out every month. The insurance wouldn't cover the prescription, they would only cover prilosec which no longer worked for me, I went round and round with them and never did get them to help pay for the prescription.

Also I have recently started taken Primal defense (probiotics) to help the balance of good bacteria in my gut.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lenny Newbie

I agree with what others said about Prilosec and other PPIs.

I was on various PPIs for a decade and knowing what I know now I would never take them again. Mainstream doctors don't seem to think that stomach acid is necessary for digestion. I walked in complaining of heartburn a few times a week and they basically handed me a lifetime prescription for these things.

I second the recommendation on the book "Why Stomach Acid is Good For You". It's a pretty short book that will give you a good handle on the subject.

Harri Real Newbie

tested.

beneficial.

Jackie

A healthy diet. Job Done.

What you've done is destroy your Villi mainly. They could take a quite a while to come back to normal form but that's life. Don't bother with all the lotions and potions rubbish.

Just eat healthy!!! It's easy.

VioletBlue Contributor

I would agree with what others have said about acid blockers. After a few months gluten-free I no longer had a need for them. The reflux went away. Apple Cider or Apple Cider pills can offer some relief in the mean time. For me, milk always seemed to help, I couldn't tell you why. But both milk and Apple Cider will affect the PH balance in your gut so I'm sure the answer is in there somehwere.

Slipper Elm is good at creating a protective coating in the stomach and intestines and also good at handling inflamation of all sorts. A digestive enzyme might not be a bad idea, I know others here have used some with good results. You might specifically create a thread to ask about using them and who has tried what and had good results. I kow there are some natural options there as well.

Also certain types of foods will be harder to digest while you're healing. The ability to digest lactose and fats tends to be a big problem at first. So a low fat and lactose diet might help with Acid Reflex, but it really depends on you. I don't think there's one answer anymore for everyone. I think each of us has different challenges and finds different answers.

jasuko1 Newbie

Thank you all for your comments! I appreciate knowing that others have healed naturally. I especially am following a healthy diet, and have tried apple cider vinegar in water a couple of times. I did that years ago and it helped, and it does seem to help now, too. I have also spoken to others about this, and it was suggested I try aloe vera juice. I am not going to overload my system with many things, but I will try things to see the results.

Today I look the healthiest I have looked in the past two years. My complexion is healthy, pink cheeks, no dark circles under my eyes. Days like today help me remember that I can feel better and heal. Thanks so much for the support and suggestions!

Jackie

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
For me, milk always seemed to help, I couldn't tell you why.

I read that heartburn that improves with milk consumption is often related to an H pylori bacterial infection--and bacterial infections can CAUSE villi damage. Celiac is not the only thing that can cause villi damage.

Unfortunately, too much is unknown at this point. The official definition of celiac is damaged villi (that's why the endoscopy is the "gold standard" of diagnosis, which is kinda silly), but if other things can cause villi damage, then that whole line of thought needs to be rethunk!

That said, I kinda agree with the above posters: if you are feeling so much better on the gluten-free diet, it's possible that those meds might not be necessary. I don't even know if you would need to find alternatives, but it is possible that they (either the meds or the alternatives) could help speed healing.

Can you get your doctor to work with you on this, or does she just blindly write scrips without listening? Would she let you try a month or two without meds, and then come in for a recheck/update with her, at which point you might consider maybe one med at a time?

jasuko1 Newbie

I've eliminated dairy from my diet for now, so that isn't a factor. And I don't know about my villi, because I wasn't too clear-headed right after the procedure. However, the genetic test coming back very high positive, and the relief of symptoms on a gluten-free diet are the clinchers here.

This doctor wrote the prescriptions with eleven refills. That makes me think he just wants me to continue taking them for a year, no questions asked. I have not been able to speak to him since the endoscopy, because I'm supposed to wait a couple of weeks after my last procedure, which is the colonoscopy on Wednesday, to have my next appointment. I didn't think to tell him at the beginning that I was not looking for meds, but for natural alternatives. I've only been to him once, and at that appointment he ordered the tests.

It isn't a question of him "letting me" try a month or two without meds - if he insists the only way is the medication way, I'm going to have to know *why* he thinks that. I'm not sure if he'll work with me and respect my wishes. But this is my body and my health, so I am being very careful about what I put into it.

I have only been officially diagnosed since five days ago - but I suspected I had celiac two months ago. It has taken me this long to get a doctor to take me seriously. (I've had various symptoms for at least 15 years, but it was always just another thing to add to the list.) One doctor told me I was too old to have celiac disease. Another told me he wasn't going to discuss it with me anymore, and walked out of the room. (This was my long-time physician. No longer seeing him, obviously.)

As of right now, my stomach feels great. Something I couldn't say at all in the past couple of years, so that's definitely improvement.

purple Community Regular

Info: www.swansonsvitamins.com. A great company. Fast service, low prices, huge assortment of products, money back guaranteed, national brands at lower prices, only $5 to ship. Call 1-800-437-4148 for a free catalog. I've ordered from them for one year now. Thet sell coconut oil too!

I'm not saying that you DON'T have celiac, just that you might have an h. pylori infection in addition.

Remember, the doctors are trained by the pharmaceutical industry. THe pharm industry makes a lot more $ if you take a year's worth--or a lifetime's worth--of whatever acid-blocking meds mask your symptoms than by putting you on antibiotics for 10 days to CURE the underlying cause of the reflux.

jasuko1 Newbie
I read that heartburn that improves with milk consumption is often related to an H pylori bacterial infection--and bacterial infections can CAUSE villi damage. Celiac is not the only thing that can cause villi damage.

I was NOT the person who said my heartburn improved with milk production - that was another person responding to my post who said that. My diagnosis of celiac is based on my very high positive genetic test, and my vast improvement on the gluten-free diet. I suppose I could push for a test for H pylori, but I don't have any reason for it. Actually, NOT eating or drinking dairy products has helped my condition.

I was NOT the person who said my heartburn improved with milk production - that was another person responding to my post who said that. My diagnosis of celiac is based on my very high positive genetic test, and my vast improvement on the gluten-free diet. I suppose I could push for a test for H pylori, but I don't have any reason for it. Actually, NOT eating or drinking dairy products has helped my condition.

Whoops, you're right--that was violetblue to whom I was responding! Sorry about the disorganization!

Archived