Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Cheapest Price For Bulk Xanthan Gum?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

I need to make my yearly buy of bulk xanthan gum. The cheapest place I have found it online is Nature's Flavors. They have it for $39.50 for 5 pounds. Do any of you know of a better price? I've done some searching, but haven't found a better deal yet. THe place I bought it from last year has doubled the price, so I need to find a new source.

Thanks!
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cycler

cycler

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

I bought a big package on Lame Advertisement a while ago - their prices aren't bad for food items.

#3 cycler

cycler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

OK - it didn't let me say the site - think of a big river.

#4 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

OK - it didn't let me say the site - think of a big river.

lol!!
what brand did you buy, do you remember?
how do y'all store you xanthan gum? i had someone tell me i need to keep it in the freezer. dunno if i can store 5 lbs in my freezer <_<
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#5 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

This is one of the reasons why I stared off with guar gum. That is, the price. I also find it is better for muffins, cakes, sweetbreads, etc, whereas xanthan is better for breads, pizza crust, and so forth.

Last I looked, the cheapest for either was www.barryfarm.com, but the site you linked to has it for a relatively good price. I don't know if I'd want to buy 5lb at once, but one or two I would. Thanks for the link.

Oh, and yeah, I freeze the extra. I generally keep guar gum in a sealed container, and use it within a month or two, and it hasn't spoiled. I expect xanthan to be similar in this way.

BTW, I think you can mention amazon.com that way ;)
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#6 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

how do y'all store you xanthan gum? i had someone tell me i need to keep it in the freezer. dunno if i can store 5 lbs in my freezer <_<

Xanthan does not require refrigeration, but it does need to be kept free of moisture. It has an infinite shelf life if kept dry. I store mine in pint-sized canning jars. Then I just keep one at a time in my kitchen with the rest in my food storage room.

This is one of the reasons why I stared off with guar gum. That is, the price. I also find it is better for muffins, cakes, sweetbreads, etc, whereas xanthan is better for breads, pizza crust, and so forth.

Last I looked, the cheapest for either was www.barryfarm.com, but the site you linked to has it for a relatively good price. I don't know if I'd want to buy 5lb at once, but one or two I would. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the link to Barry Farms. Looks like they don't have it in bulk, but only in 4 oz packages. I have thought of switching to guar gum. Maybe I will pick up a small package and try it out in some favorite recipes.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7 cycler

cycler

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

lol!!
what brand did you buy, do you remember?

I bought EnerG brand. I put what I need in a small plastic bottle and I seal the remainder in a ziplock bag. I keep it in the closet.

#8 luv2cook

luv2cook

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

I just bought 5 lbs from Nature's for $37.50. I use it in breads, and use guar in everything else that uses leavener instead of yeast as a rising agent. I store both in sealed containers in the freezer.

#9 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

I just bought 5 lbs from Nature's for $37.50. I use it in breads, and use guar in everything else that uses leavener instead of yeast as a rising agent. I store both in sealed containers in the freezer.

Oooh, good, I've been thinking I need to buy some more online, and wondered who was best to buy from. That's a great price!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: