Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Cheapest Price For Bulk Xanthan Gum?

9 posts in this topic

I need to make my yearly buy of bulk xanthan gum. The cheapest place I have found it online is Nature's Flavors. They have it for $39.50 for 5 pounds. Do any of you know of a better price? I've done some searching, but haven't found a better deal yet. THe place I bought it from last year has doubled the price, so I need to find a new source.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I bought a big package on Lame Advertisement a while ago - their prices aren't bad for food items.

OK - it didn't let me say the site - think of a big river.

OK - it didn't let me say the site - think of a big river.

lol!!

what brand did you buy, do you remember?

how do y'all store you xanthan gum? i had someone tell me i need to keep it in the freezer. dunno if i can store 5 lbs in my freezer <_<

This is one of the reasons why I stared off with guar gum. That is, the price. I also find it is better for muffins, cakes, sweetbreads, etc, whereas xanthan is better for breads, pizza crust, and so forth.

Last I looked, the cheapest for either was www.barryfarm.com, but the site you linked to has it for a relatively good price. I don't know if I'd want to buy 5lb at once, but one or two I would. Thanks for the link.

Oh, and yeah, I freeze the extra. I generally keep guar gum in a sealed container, and use it within a month or two, and it hasn't spoiled. I expect xanthan to be similar in this way.

BTW, I think you can mention amazon.com that way ;)

how do y'all store you xanthan gum? i had someone tell me i need to keep it in the freezer. dunno if i can store 5 lbs in my freezer <_<

Xanthan does not require refrigeration, but it does need to be kept free of moisture. It has an infinite shelf life if kept dry. I store mine in pint-sized canning jars. Then I just keep one at a time in my kitchen with the rest in my food storage room.

This is one of the reasons why I stared off with guar gum. That is, the price. I also find it is better for muffins, cakes, sweetbreads, etc, whereas xanthan is better for breads, pizza crust, and so forth.

Last I looked, the cheapest for either was www.barryfarm.com, but the site you linked to has it for a relatively good price. I don't know if I'd want to buy 5lb at once, but one or two I would. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the link to Barry Farms. Looks like they don't have it in bulk, but only in 4 oz packages. I have thought of switching to guar gum. Maybe I will pick up a small package and try it out in some favorite recipes.

lol!!

what brand did you buy, do you remember?

I bought EnerG brand. I put what I need in a small plastic bottle and I seal the remainder in a ziplock bag. I keep it in the closet.

I just bought 5 lbs from Nature's for $37.50. I use it in breads, and use guar in everything else that uses leavener instead of yeast as a rising agent. I store both in sealed containers in the freezer.

I just bought 5 lbs from Nature's for $37.50. I use it in breads, and use guar in everything else that uses leavener instead of yeast as a rising agent. I store both in sealed containers in the freezer.

Oooh, good, I've been thinking I need to buy some more online, and wondered who was best to buy from. That's a great price!