This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheesecake gluten-free

Anne Caird

Anne Caird Newbie

Hi .... I'm the mother of a newly celiac disease diagnosed 10yr old. I'm in the experimental stage of baking and/or cooking!! Anyone have any tips on replacing the 4 tbsp of flour I put into my cheesecake with 4 tbsps of gluten-free flour? Anne, sf :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HiDee Rookie

You could use 4 Tbsp. of just the regular rice flour blend (rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch) straight across. Or I'm guessing that the 4 Tbsp. flour is used mostly as a thickener and in that case you could probably do 2 Tbsp. corn starch as a replacement since corn starch has twice the thickening power as regular flour. If I'm wrong about it being a thickener, just go with the rice blend.

dbmamaz Explorer

Many of the regular cheese cake recipes call for corn starch instead of flour anyways. Check some recipes on line and see.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I use this recipe for Cheesecake. For the crust, I use the graham crackers from the Grainless Baker and just grind them up in the food processor and add some butter to them, then smoosh into the bottom of the spring form pan. Everyone raves about this cheesecake whenever I make it.

Ingredients for Cream Cheese Filling

4 8-ounce packages cream cheese (the regular variety not light Neufchatel cream cheese), at room temperature

1 2/3 cups sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

2 extra-large eggs

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions for the Cream Cheese Filling

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and generously butter a 9-inch springform pan. Make the batter for the sponge cake as the recipe directs Evenly spread the batter on the bottom of the pan, and bake just until set and golden, about 10 minutes. Place the cake on a wire rack to cool (do not remove it from the pan).

2. While the cake cools, make the cream cheese filling: Place one 8-ounce package of the cream cheese, 1/3 cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until creamy, about 3 mintues, then beat in the remaining 3 packages of cream cheese.

3. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, then beat in the vanilla and heavy cream. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, beating the bating only until completely blended (just like they do at Junior's). Be careful not to overmix the batter.

4. Gently spoon the cheese filling on top of the baked sponge cake layer. Place the springform pan in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes about 1 inch up the sides of the pan. Bake the cheesecake until the center barely jiggles when you shake the pan, about 1 hour.

5. Cool the cake on a wire rack for 1 hour. Then cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until it's completely cold, at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove the sides of the springform pan.

6. Slide the cake off of the bottom of the pan onto a serving plate. Or if you wish, simply leave the cake on the removable bottom of the pan and place it on a serving plate. If any cake is left over, cover it with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.

Makes Enough for One 8-Inch Cake, About 2 1/2 Inches High

cpicini Rookie

Hi...The recipe below originally called for 3 tablespoons of flour and 3 of corn starch. I eliminated the flour and only add 4 1/2 ts of corn starch. I have to say this is a great recipe. The next time I make it I am going to try and cut some calories by using so non-fat ingregients. If you don't have a spring form pan you can pick one up pretty cheap.

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter

1 lb (16oz) of Rocotta Cheese

1 lb (16oz) of Cream Cheese

1 lb (16oz) of Sour Cream

4 eggs

1 teaspoon of vanilla

RiceGuy Collaborator

As was stated, the flour is being used for thickening, so the suggestion of cornstarch is a good one. A number of gluten-free flours would work, though cornstarch or other starchy one would typically be cheaper than a blend.

Anne Caird Newbie
Hi...The recipe below originally called for 3 tablespoons of flour and 3 of corn starch. I eliminated the flour and only add 4 1/2 ts of corn starch. I have to say this is a great recipe. The next time I make it I am going to try and cut some calories by using so non-fat ingregients. If you don't have a spring form pan you can pick one up pretty cheap.

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter

4 eggs

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I never put flour in my recipe. Thats to help it to not crack but if your careful with your baking it shouldn't crack! That said, mine almost always crack! :D:rolleyes: BUT really you don't need it.

Anne Caird Newbie

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter

4 eggs

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Anne Caird Newbie
I never put flour in my recipe. Thats to help it to not crack but if your careful with your baking it shouldn't crack! That said, mine almost always crack! :D:rolleyes: BUT really you don't need it.

Hi thanks for yours and other helpful tips. The recipe calls for flour and I put in more than it calls for mostly because my husband prefers a "cake-ier" consistency, so I'll try some of the other substitutes suggested. And Yes my cake always cracks too! I just cover up the crack with fresh berries in season! thanks

redgf Rookie
Hi thanks for yours and other helpful tips. The recipe calls for flour and I put in more than it calls for mostly because my husband prefers a "cake-ier" consistency, so I'll try some of the other substitutes suggested. And Yes my cake always cracks too! I just cover up the crack with fresh berries in season! thanks

I bake using The Gluten Free Pantry's All Purpose Flour, stuff is awesome as far as I'm concerned. My friends never have a clue they are eating gluten free, even desserts! They make many great mixes also, theirs is the only bread mix I have found I like. You can use this flour as an exact replacement usually.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

If you are looking for a gluten free crust then I would seriously try crushing Josefs vanilla graham crackers and putting butter in with it to have it stick together. I tried this and everyone loved it.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

WOW! I've never used flour in mine either!

Well...the last time i made cheesecake, I used the Mi-Del Arrowroot Animal Crackers - I added some honey and cinnamon to make them taste more "grahm cracker' like. No one could tell the difference.

But...I would search out a new recipe for Cheesecake b/c aside from the crust, flour would serve no purpose in it (it's a souffle, not a cake, technically).

:) I hope you find one you enjoy - I have a great one I can post if one of the above isn't to your liking :D

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Ya know my Step Mom always made a cheesecake using a Duncan Hines Cake mix because she didn't like the dense heavy type and greatly preferred the cake-ier consistency also. I wonder if there is a gluten free cake mix that could be used in place of the Duncan Hines.

I made cheesecake this week but again mine had no flour and was quite dense but we love it that way. :D Of course I ate too much of it! :rolleyes:

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

To prevent cracking....place cheesecake pan in a water bath (bain marie)....or place a separate pan of hot water in the oven while it's baking.

Also, turn off the oven and let it cool IN THE OVEN.

Cracks are caused by dry heat OR sudden shock in temperature change in the cake.

JUST and fyi! :D Mine never crack any more due to doing the above.

bakingbarb Enthusiast
To prevent cracking....place cheesecake pan in a water bath (bain marie)....or place a separate pan of hot water in the oven while it's baking.

Also, turn off the oven and let it cool IN THE OVEN.

Cracks are caused by dry heat OR sudden shock in temperature change in the cake.

JUST and fyi! :D Mine never crack any more due to doing the above.

The problem for me with baking this way is that many times when I am baking cheesecakes it is for customers and I don't have the oven space to bake 4 cakes this way, nor the time.

Since I top them beautifully I don't worry too much about the cracks. lol It doesn't affect the taste or texture so I again I don't worry about it much. If I am going to bake just one then I can do it this way though.

btw the pan of water in the oven instead of using a bian marie, does that help? I could do it that way when baking in bulk but never thought of trying that

Archived